Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

anyone taken out heated seats on a '10 ...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts
Default anyone taken out heated seats on a '10 ...?

I know this is a weird question, but has anyone with a new '10 removed their
heated front seats, and replaced with sports buckets or similar (non heated) seats?

just wondering if it is possible/what you do about the heater buttons etc?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've done it. It works fine, the heater button is still active, but doesn't do anything.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brim
Yes, I've done it. It works fine, the heater button is still active, but doesn't do anything.
Did you DIY this or did you get a dealer/mech to do it, I ask because I just wonder about the open circuit that presumably (when the heater button is on) has a significant current passing thru it?

is there a fuse that can be pulled to isolate this?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
Which seats did you go with as a replacement? I'm considering swapping my addaptive sports for buckets, but I don't want the full leather ones.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
Which seats did you go with as a replacement? I'm considering swapping my addaptive sports for buckets, but I don't want the full leather ones.
I am not sure it's that easy to obtain the leather/alacantra sports buckets... suncoast only have the full leather, which is what I have ...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if this is the same on a 2010 but I did it on my 2006 997S.

You need to take the car to dealer and hook the computer up and tell the system there are no heated seats.

On a 2006 car if you do not do this and somebody pushes the heated seat button you will trigger a fault code that (I have read) can not be cleared.

MJones can suppy you a pdf on the seat conversion.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Not sure if this is the same on a 2010 but I did it on my 2006 997S.

You need to take the car to dealer and hook the computer up and tell the system there are no heated seats.

On a 2006 car if you do not do this and somebody pushes the heated seat button you will trigger a fault code that (I have read) can not be cleared.

MJones can suppy you a pdf on the seat conversion.
cheers!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I am not sure it's that easy to obtain the leather/alacantra sports buckets... suncoast only have the full leather, which is what I have ...
Thanks LC! I'm reeeealy hoping that is not the case. I love the ones at suncoast and look at them on-line just about every other day. But what I really want is the combo leather/alcantara.

You would think if they sell a car with seat X they would have a part number in the event a replacement is needed. *scratches head*
Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks LC! I'm reeeealy hoping that is not the case. I love the ones at suncoast and look at them on-line just about every other day. But what I really want is the combo leather/alcantara.

You would think if they sell a car with seat X they would have a part number in the event a replacement is needed. *scratches head*
I have some exciting news for you then ... I just pulled the cushions off of my GT2 sport buckets, and it's the same setup that my old 996 GT2 seats had, i.e you can replace the covers ...

I got alacantara covers from carnewal for mt 996 seats, perhaps it's possible to order replacement (alacantara) covers either from Porsche or from Carnewal.

pls post here if you followup and get any info ... as I'd like those too myself!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Clifton
Pro

I have some exciting news for you then ... I just pulled the cushions off of my GT2 sport buckets, and it's the same setup that my old 996 GT2 seats had, i.e you can replace the covers ...
That is good news!!! So that I'm clear on what you are saying, when you mention pulling the cushions off, are you referring to the areas I've highlighted in red (see attached). As in both the top and bottom inserts can be removed??
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

That is good news!!! So that I'm clear on what you are saying, when you mention pulling the cushions off, are you referring to the areas I've highlighted in red (see attached). As in both the top and bottom inserts can be removed??
YUP they all are simply velcro'ed onot the shell, and the covers are velco'ed closed ...

I'd need to pull all of them and look closely at them but I am pretty sure the foam can be removed from the leather cover ...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

in the interests if science and the futherance of out knowledge I have carried out a non-intrusive forensic analysis of the seat cushions.

There are 3 of them:

- back
- lower lumber
- seat (bottom)

Form what I can tell the 'back' and 'lumbar' cushions could simply be replaced with a simple alacantara seat cushion cover swap ...

The "seat bottom" is a little more tricky ... it's one piece with a 'crease' across it where the sub belts would be fed thru to the lap belt ... this crease is hinged/stitched and appears to be glued the to foam interior ...

my guess is that you'd require covers + a complete alacantara seat cushion to achieve the swap (if you had full leather like me).

Ive dropped a note to Gert Carnewal to get the skinny, I'll post the results here ...

all in all I think it's positive ... if we only had a PET CD we could check the part #'s
Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Clifton
Pro

YUP they all are simply velcro'ed onot the shell, and the covers are velco'ed closed ...

I'd need to pull all of them and look closely at them but I am pretty sure the foam can be removed from the leather cover ...
Excellent!! Thanks Larry. Will let you know if I find or do anything.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I took a peek at my '08 PET CD, while past performance is no gaurantee of future the '07 seat cushions and covers *are* separately available with their
own part #'s ...

that leads me to believe that they *could* be so for the sports buckets ...
Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Gert @ Carnewal responded they can be ordered, 395 euro...

- Larry

Quick Reply: anyone taken out heated seats on a '10 ...?