Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nurburgring VLN circuit trackday...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

this event is actually the Nurburgring Sprint track + the Nordschliefe, so yes it's the full VLN layout but that's not the full GP Strecke.

basically it misses out the very bottom loop on this map, you go right at the "R" ball. The thing about this day is more the fact that it's NOT a TF day so no bikes or buses! and you don't have to stop halfway down the Dottinger straight!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

agree ... just think full flying laps of the NS ... means you can compare your times with the 'offical' times instead of BtoG's ...

and as you say ... no busses ... and no bikers not using their mirrors ...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttdan
this event is actually the Nurburgring Sprint track + the Nordschliefe, so yes it's the full VLN layout but that's not the full GP Strecke.

basically it misses out the very bottom loop on this map, you go right at the "R" ball. The thing about this day is more the fact that it's NOT a TF day so no bikes or buses! and you don't have to stop halfway down the Dottinger straight!

Actually the F1 track is cut off in two parts during the full run of the Nuerburgring during VLN events.
Part of the Mercedes-Benz arena is cutoff as well as the portion you noted by the 'Registered' icon on the image. The area above the "Strecke" is cutoff.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Larry, I raced in the VLN series for 4 years ('98,'99,'00, and '01). I have also raced in the 24 hours of Nurburging 3 years in a row ('99,'00, and '01). The VLN/24 hour track is the longest and the most fun in my opinion since you have a combination of a real F1 track with the almighty Nordschleife. It just doesn't get any better than that. Too all you ringers that have been around this track, you haven't really been around it until you've been on it at night in the rain
From what I remember they did allow street cars to run in Friday afternoon practice with the VLN racers, but from what I remember all cars had roll bars and safety gear. Not sure if the drivers had to hold a FIA class C race license like I had at the time.

Below is a pick of me in the yellow Z3 during a VLN race ( 6 hours of Nurburgring circa '98). That black Mercedes behind me is a ex-DTM car from the mid 90's and it won the overall race that day and was driven by the Schall brothers. Those 4 years of racing in Europe were the best times in my life.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ttdan

From what I recall only 24 Hour race and the 6 hour race use the full F1 track. The rest of the VLN races use only half of the F1 track ( turn at the R ball).

Quick Reply: Nurburgring VLN circuit trackday...