Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 RS Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 997.2 RS Question...

Now that PTS has been confirmed as an option on the MY11 RS, I'm interested to hear opinions on your choice of colour for the new RS.

Personally, I was disappointed with the colour choice and decal design of the standard Mk2 7 RS; however, I appreciate that the car will be a sensational drive, whatever the colour!, and that taste in colour is a very personal thing.

That said, PTS now allows people to go wild, so, what colour would you choose?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
ands8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much will PTS cost - £3k, £3.5K?

An additional cost that satisfys the drivers ego, it wont make the RS lighter, it wont handle any better, it wont go faster, it'll just increase the ego.

Spend the money on making the car better, not the drivers image.

Sorry, but I dont give a tos what it looks like, I want mine to handle like its makers intended & thats where ill be spening my money when I tick the option boxes on a MY11 model.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

An interesting argument; however, using your logic, could you not argue that it would cheaper to buy a KTM X-Bow, Atom, etc and have the same performance as an RS for much cheaper?

Surely the aesthetic appeal of the car is a huge reason the owner buys a car? I could care less what the general public think (ergo, the "drivers image" as you call it); however, I do want to look at the car and be glad it is mine.

When I'm not driving it, I want to open the garage, look at it and enjoy it - not as much as when I'm behind the wheel and on track but I still want to look at it and enjoy every aspect of it.

If you consider this ego, I'm quite surprised as I consider it the appreciation of something I own.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Mexico blue with black as the contrast color.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

my logic about PTS, YMMV.

it's an expensive option.
if you have a color that your must have, my daughter wants everything in pink, EVERYTHING. then for her PTS in pink makes sense.
i like some colors: maritime blue, mexico blue, amethyst, peppermint green, and a few other porsche colors. but i dont love any of them to death, and i cannot narrow it down to one color if i had to save my life. so that tells me i dont have "THE" COLOR in mind. since i dont have something i would die for, i will not pay for PTS.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Mexico blue with black as the contrast color.
Mexico blue with black contrast is jostling for #1 position with me.

Perhaps someone can answer this: are Mexico and Riviera the same colour? Or is there a variation?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
my logic about PTS, YMMV.

it's an expensive option.
if you have a color that your must have, my daughter wants everything in pink, EVERYTHING. then for her PTS in pink makes sense.
i like some colors: maritime blue, mexico blue, amethyst, peppermint green, and a few other porsche colors. but i dont love any of them to death, and i cannot narrow it down to one color if i had to save my life. so that tells me i dont have "THE" COLOR in mind. since i dont have something i would die for, i will not pay for PTS.
Mooty, I'm pretty sure I've ruled out pink (and Rubystone for that matter )

I can see your logic and while I'm not one to waste money, I passed on the 997 RS (I had a slot and let it go) and have regretted it ever since.

The 997.2 was the chance for me to make good with the above decision and I was gutted when I saw the colour choice. Aqua blue is nice but my previous 911 was Cobalt, so it is a little too close for my liking. I do not like the Grey (personal opinion) and white doesn't get my pulse racing (I also had a white track Porsche up until recently).

I know many people talk about keepers but my intention is to keep this RS. I know Porsche will move the game along but in all honesty, the 997s ability will far eclipse my own; therefore, I look forward to learning and improving with it.

That said, the cost of PTS isn't an issue.

I did consider Gulf because I like the colour and respect the link back to the 73 RS; however, it doesn't seem vibrant enough.

Rivera was a choice but I am not 100% sure; hence, asking the question and hoping fellow forum members could inspire me.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,157 Likes on 1,828 Posts

You seem to have a preference for blues. If you want something truly unique and proper for a GT3, I'd go with Audi RS2 Blue (very similar to Audi Nogaro Blue).

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Gulf blue is washed out light blue
Mexico is a bit darker blue tone and more florescent the Gulf
Riviera is a bit darker blue tone and more florescent then Mexico
Maritime is bit darker with more purple tone then Riviera
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis

Perhaps someone can answer this: are Mexico and Riviera the same colour? Or is there a variation?
Colors are different. Run a search on this forum - plenty of pics. Maritime Blue is another nice color.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mexico blue with black contrast is jostling for #1 position with me.

Mexico blue is slightly darker than Riviera... I had a painter spray out both colors. Saw a Mexico blue '10 GT3 yesterday and frankly it was a let down. Sounds the perfect choice but just didn't do it for me and I love blues. One thing is for sure: you cannot tell from photographs; certainly not with blues... I should say 'I cannot tell from photos'... blues photograph beautifully but usually look deeper and richer than they actually are, 'to me'. It really is worth having samples prepared before taking the plunge, unless of course you know the color. Good luck... we all know that we wouldn't buy this car if it only came in our favorite color but handled like a POS. That being said, even the best handling car can look like a POS in the wrong color! I would like mine to both feel good and look good... (not sure when that started but she was French and I believe her name was Marie-Louise!)
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Louis, that looks like Porsche Maritime Blue.

For reference, Maritime is furthest from the camera and Riviera is in the middle...

Because VAG were so actively tied in with Porsche GmbH, I would imagine that the Audi RS2 Nogaro is the same as Maritime, common on the 964 RS of the same period.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Thanks guys for the replies shown above.

I agree with all the comments and have seen all the blues in the metal (although have never seen Mexico and Riviera side by side and on the same day!)

Another other inspiration, please feel free to pitch into the conversation!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW... Mexico on the left, Riviera on the right:
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,157 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Louis, that looks like Porsche Maritime Blue.

For reference, Maritime is furthest from the camera and Riviera is in the middle...

Because VAG were so actively tied in with Porsche GmbH, I would imagine that the Audi RS2 Nogaro is the same as Maritime, common on the 964 RS of the same period.
Negative. That was a one-of, special-order 993 GT2 in Audi RS2 Blue. Maritime has more purple hue. The RS2 color is much brighter and richer.

Quick Reply: 997.2 RS Question...