Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Mikymu- under high load rpm or g if I try to shift fast from 2-3 3rd wouldn't engage( did force it in during a ncrc race and popped the shift linkage). But if slight pause then no issue. I don't get ne grinding though. Mike
BTW this was *exactly* the same symptoms on my RSA/G50 box if you paused then the shift would complete without grinding otherwise it would grind like a SOB.

this was cured by the steel synchros ... and several $k's ...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

Anyone know why steel synchros aren't standard? There must be some
downside (price, gear wear, ???)...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew2008
Anyone know why steel synchros aren't standard? There must be some
downside (price, gear wear, ???)...
just to be clear this was on the G50 gearbox on my 91 RS America ... I dont know
if the synchros on the GT3 boxes are steel or not ...

just reporting the similar symptoms, cause and resolution!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
BTW this was *exactly* the same symptoms on my RSA/G50 box if you paused then the shift would complete without grinding otherwise it would grind like a SOB.

We should be rewarded by going faster on the track and not the other way around!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can certainly understand why people might be a bit upset with this issue, but keep in mind that synchronizers are just like your clutch, they are wear parts. They need to be replaced from time to time, especially if you are racing the car.

good news on steel 3rd - 6th though, we have them here for $160 each, which is a steel in comparison to Porsche prices. The 2nd gear is still incredibly high at $1510 per gear, but you only really need steel in the second gear set anyways.

Let me know if you need any of these we have a couple of thousand of them.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rcvd a great phone call from Orbit. Cable end of one of the cables was broken (not obvious which is why Braman never caught it). Roger H will call back to see if he can just screw in a new end which would mean the car would be ready in 10 minutes. If cables have to be replaced I requested the cup car cables to be installed.
As a side note, Orbit also took out the gear oil to analyse and see if my synchros were worn but he stated that it was about the cleanest gear oil he had ever seen. (I've replaced it twice since new when in for yearly service but not beyond that)
Either way I'm going to Sebring this afternoon and can still make the 5, 6:30 and 7:45 Pm night sessions
Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Erik, great news and hope it gets fixed. Would be interesting to know which part failed so we can all keep an extra around. Cheers and good luck at Sebring, I'm jealous (it's -5C outside here in Toronto).
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

well, I got excited too early, the shifter cable indeed had an end that was kaput, and we replaced the cables with 2004 RSR shifter cables, which Orbit just had layiing around, even better then the "regular" cup car cables that are a common upgrade, but........ the car is still shifting really tough and notchy. Have to put some force to shift the gears, so after trying to adjust the shifter cables, we will try again tomorrow. Still do not thing it is in the gearbox, but now think its also something with either the pressure plate or the clutch. We bled the clutch but that made no difference, but the normal lightweight flywheel rattle when car is idling is now present in other gears when you just lay off the gas at around 3-4K rpm and let the car coast. Possible a broken pressure plate. Will know more. Missed the first day of 48 hours and tomorrow is not looking good, but remain hopefull
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Erik,
Sorry to hear about your troubles but you are now in good hands and it sounds like Roger is making progress. If you do make it out to Sebring before the end of the weekend be sure to stop by our tent and say hello. We're enjoying your Florida warmth and I look forward to returning to Colorado with a sunburn.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Thanks Matt,

I still hope to get it resolved if only we knew what it was. Roger will give Brian Copans a call in the am too just to see if he has any suggestions. But since Roger has also rebuilt 100's of transmissions, he's 95% sure it's not the synchronizers. Fluid that came out was perfect, and even reverse is now tougher to get into.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

As I mentioned earlier, it's probably the clutch. In my 993TT which uses the G50 gearbox, I also had an issue where the gears felt notchy; the clutch was checked and came out with flying colours. I insisted on replacing the clutch disc and pressure plate and it returned to buttery smooth shifting after. I don't know if it was the throwout bearing, the clutch assembly or something else, but the replacement cured the shifting issues.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Yeah, car is going in on Monday for clutch replacement since we have nothing else besides the gearbox itself. But since it has gotten tough to shift the car even into reverse, i tend to agree with you. Will know more on monday, will miss the 48hours this year for the first time in many years
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default notchy

Keep us posted.

Hope that it works out.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Gearbox was dropped today, clutch crumbeled into little pieces so hopefully tomorrow we're back in business. Now I'm considering if I should replace the Diff "while we're at it". Need to do something to keep up with the new RS's coming out with the short Diff.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 770 Posts

Now that it is all apart get the Guard diff, shorter final drive and 3.9.
You should have it ready before April when my car arrives :-)

Maybe some shocks and slicks..

Quick Reply: Shifting problems