Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stability issue/question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I'm also new to the gt3- and agree with everything you guys are saying. .

Howerver, I'm a little confused about the alignment conversation - are you guys saying that everyone who will track their car should immediately go have it re-aligned? Why does the factory not do this properly?

tx
it's a mystery ... but its worth doing ...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I'm also new to the gt3- and agree with everything you guys are saying. .

Howerver, I'm a little confused about the alignment conversation - are you guys saying that everyone who will track their car should immediately go have it re-aligned? Why does the factory not do this properly?

tx
A few thoughts on this one. 1 - His is not a brand new car so was owned by someone previously and there is no telling how they had the alignment set. 2 - alignment moves over time so it's good to get it checked out regardless of how it was set. 3 - Even on a new one, people have checked some of them and found them out of spec. This means either they weren't set right from the start or they got knocked out in shipping, etc.

It's a good investment to get it checked out. On a new one, many people have gotten theirs done for free so it's worth a try at the dealership.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
A few thoughts on this one. 1 - His is not a brand new car so was owned by someone previously and there is no telling how they had the alignment set. 2 - alignment moves over time so it's good to get it checked out regardless of how it was set. 3 - Even on a new one, people have checked some of them and found them out of spec. This means either they weren't set right from the start or they got knocked out in shipping, etc.

It's a good investment to get it checked out. On a new one, many people have gotten theirs done for free so it's worth a try at the dealership.
be aware if you do this at the dealer and ask for anything other than the street specs from the owners manual make sure that they actually know how to adjust
the cars suspension components in order to achieve this ...

for example:

- rotating the front mounts to achieve the necessary camber
- using the available shims ...

my dealer did not!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts
Wink

Most of your mainstream alignment shops cannot properly align these cars. The targets, and fancy racks do not work on 3's with any suspension work. Primarily because the targets cannot get low enough to see each other. Again, most, but not all.

IMO, If you own a GT3 or GT2, you owe it to yourself to spend $800-$1300 and get it set up. That includes an alignment "based upon your comfort level and your experience level with the car". As you become faster and more comfortable you will be asking for more aggressive settings.

Personally, I put 1500 to 2500 miles a year playing and instructing in my GT3. Each year I take it to GMG or Werks II for a set up. Then after every event I check the ride heights. Thats it for the season. I am sure if I have an off track experience that I will break the cycle and pay for another set up. Something will show up with turn in, braking, acceleration, and tire temps if something goes out of adjustment.

Lastly, by the time you master your most aggressive alignment and you want more, plan on finding a box of $100 bills to invest in HP, Aero, and Bigger Brakes.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

When my car was new I ran two events with the factory stock street alignment. On tight corners, the car simply refused to turn in and the front end just scrubbed and hopped sideways in little jerks. It was ridiculous. On faster corners, it was fine. 2.5 degrees or more of front camber was the absolute cure and 3 degrees is better yet. Factory street was, IIRC, around 1.2 degrees.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

if you're in OC I used to get my gt3RS aligned at bbi in huntington beach...they're usually busy building ginormous turbo beasts but the guys there all have a racing background and can really check your rods out...haha
Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I'd check your alignment - toe and/or caster are key (along with the obvious camber)
AGREED... Get it set up properly!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Appreciate the feedback - the help on this forum never ceases to amaze me, thanks!

Quick Reply: Stability issue/question...