Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why not keep the exhaust valve open

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 05:02 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

The valvetronic videos have terrible audio-but aside from that, it seems to do the same as the Carenewel remote. The Carnewel however, only pairs with homelink with cars outside the US, or ROW.
This one seems to pair up with US cars, which is nice. But, I just use the remote Carnewel sends with the system. They're both about the same price-
Old 10-04-2020, 09:20 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
My butt dyno must be bad. I did this mod and didn't notice any significant loss in low-end torque. But the increased exhaust sounds are glorious. If I'm driving below 4k RPM I'm not on it anyway so there is no sense of urgency. If there is any loss in torque, it's totally worth it for the improved sound. I'm also running a Soul center bypass. YMMV.
Disconnected Last night, Cut the Finger parts out of Thick Surgical style Auto Gloves. Covered Opens & Zipp tied Everything Tight.
Just did, 200 miles today, Not under 3k Much, Didn't Notice Any less Tq, I Have a Cobb Tune,SW c Delete, Sounds Nice.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:48 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
I am running valved side delete, stock center. I dont want the valves, so I leave the lines plugged with screws and unconnected to valves. Is there any difference between this vs. disconnecting the switch in the engine compartment and attaching the lines to the valves?
nope, no difference. Just a different way to achieve the same result which is valves open all the time. Me personally I like having the valves, since I usually get up & head out early on Sat & Sunday mornings, & valves-closed keeps the peace in my neighborhood.

DRL, I'm guessing the car came with valved side-deletes when you bought it? ... otherwise why would you buy them, if you never wanted to use them.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
The valvetronic videos have terrible audio-but aside from that, it seems to do the same as the Carenewel remote. The Carnewel however, only pairs with homelink with cars outside the US, or ROW.
This one seems to pair up with US cars, which is nice. But, I just use the remote Carnewel sends with the system. They're both about the same price-
I am using Carnewal too (on your recommendation, and have been VERY happy with the setup). But I also notice that the Valvetronics does not have a brain box that needs to be mounted in the engine bay?
Just the wiring harness, ground wire, & that's it. nice.

Last edited by bweSteve; 10-05-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:44 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 473 Likes on 214 Posts

It would be the same sound it just keeps the valves open, but I got it because homelink function. The downside of open valves is drone when open at low rpms. The positive, is it has better sound on downshifts IMO. I do close the valves when cruising through certain neighborhoods and it is super quiet.

Last edited by seis-speed; 10-05-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:39 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
nope, no difference. Just a different way to achieve the same result which is valves open all the time. Me personally I like having the valves, since I usually get up & head out early on Sat & Sunday mornings, & valves-closed keeps the peace in my neighborhood.

DRL, I'm guessing the car came with valved side-deletes when you bought it? ... otherwise why would you buy them, if you never wanted to use them.
I bought them thinking it would help with the early morning departures through the neighborhood, but I really don't like the on/off of the valves. I found the car is really not too loud slowly rolling out, and when it is early I keep the garage door closed for 20-30 seconds after cold start.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:13 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

In my case I'm running valved deletes + center delete

I use the remote to keep them closed on cold start and neighborhood. Once I'm out, it repels animals, electric scooters and mopeds, people driving at night with NO lights, crazy people walking across the road at night where clearly the speed limit is 40mph(happened the other night)
The M&M center is closer in diameter and design to the Sharkwers center from what I can see. Other center deletes are fatter and I imagine produce an even deeper tone, which I wouldn't want. Plus my center has a provision to use straps/clamps to keep it sturdy. Other center deletes don't.

My car is loud but I can speak on the phone, I don't hear a "drone" that people claim to. Maybe the RS is louder inside if it has less insulation-

Here's a great sounding car-these Rally cars have many different exhaust configurations and sound-some probably have no cats, long tube, or 100 cell cats.
This one sounds amazing:

Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Reviving out of selfishness - I've played with the valve control unit, and am torn. I kind of like the "wait for it . . ." sudden transformation at 3-4, and felt like I did notice a tiny TQ loss with them open at lower RPMs.

Curious, though, who has the SWerks Tune + Center Delete + Valves Open ? I've talked to Alex and gotten his take on it. Obviously trust him, but looking for some owner experience. Marked difference? Nominal? HP / $ factor ? Drivability ?

Would love some feedback / impressions. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:29 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I'm very happy with the valved side deletes, center bypass and the Carnewel remote. I do keep the garage door closed for a minute on cold start with valves closed so the neighbors don't freak out-
Watch those GT3 rallye videos long enough and you'll wish your car sounded like them
I also have 2 very loud bikes and wouldn't have it any other way, because people certainly don't see you-on any given night I see at least 2-3 idiots driving with NO lights on, it's insane, and they have no clue. Happens every night.
And recently, perhaps due to lockdown madness, people are driving crazy everywhere. Then there are the electric scooters and new mopeds, so they better hear you. Another thing here is people treat stop signs as yield signs. Cops used to give out tickets for that, but it's everywhere now, they just sneak right through.
A recent experience had my adrenaline level overdose. A parked car crossed two lanes when leaving the spot; I switched lanes and the fool came back into my lane(!) I down shifted and scared the living daylights out of it, a Cadillac SUV, and it would have scraped the side of my car if I didn't startle him/her. People start looking at their rear view mirrors when you're behind them too

Last edited by JB911; 02-22-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:45 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
I'm very happy with the valved side deletes, center bypass and the Carnewel remote. I do keep the garage door closed for a minute on cold start with valves closed so the neighbors don't freak out-
Watch those GT3 rallye videos long enough and you'll wish your car sounded like them
I also have 2 very loud bikes and wouldn't have it any other way, because people certainly don't see you-on any given night I see at least 2-3 idiots driving with NO lights on, it's insane, and they have no clue. Happens every night.
And recently, perhaps due to lockdown madness, people are driving crazy everywhere. Then there are the electric scooters and new mopeds, so they better hear you. Another thing here is people treat stop signs as yield signs. Cops used to give out tickets for that, but it's everywhere now, they just sneak right through.
A recent experience had my adrenaline level overdose. A parked car crossed two lanes when leaving the spot; I switched lanes and the fool came back into my lane(!) I down shifted and scared the living daylights out of it, a Cadillac SUV, and it would have scraped the side of my car if I didn't startle him/her. People start looking at their rear view mirrors when you're behind them too

JB, do you mean center muffler and not center bypass or are you running totally mufflerless?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:08 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
JB, do you mean center muffler and not center bypass or are you running totally mufflerless?
Pretty sure he means center bypass / delete + valves off.

I'm looking for someone who has that AND the Sharkwerks tune . . .
Old 02-22-2021, 01:17 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

FWIW, I installed the Valvetronic controller and it's nice to be able to switch the valves on/off. It is an easy install and only took about 5-10 min. It works great. For anyone who is considering opening your valves full-time (regardless of how you do it), I highly recommend doing this mod! The aural benefit is totally worth any minor side effects. Uncork the sound of your glorious engines.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:20 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
FWIW, I installed the Valvetronic controller and it's nice to be able to switch the valves on/off. It is an easy install and only took about 5-10 min. It works great. For anyone who is considering opening your valves full-time (regardless of how you do it), I highly recommend doing this mod! The aural benefit is totally worth any minor side effects. Uncork the sound of your glorious engines.
Valvetronic product link ? I know I could Google. Pretending to be on conference calls . . .
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Reviving out of selfishness - I've played with the valve control unit, and am torn. I kind of like the "wait for it . . ." sudden transformation at 3-4, and felt like I did notice a tiny TQ loss with them open at lower RPMs.

Curious, though, who has the SWerks Tune + Center Delete + Valves Open ? I've talked to Alex and gotten his take on it. Obviously trust him, but looking for some owner experience. Marked difference? Nominal? HP / $ factor ? Drivability ?

Would love some feedback / impressions. Thanks!
it's the only way I've ever driven my GT3s and RS (no tune however, sorry, just saw that)

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 02-22-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:19 PM
PacoST
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys did someone done the unplugging on the new 911 992 ? If yes is it easy to do it and do u get any errors on the onboard computer ?
I have Carrera S with PSE and i would like to notch up the sound a bit. I know im in the wrong forum but i didnt want to open a new thread if i dont need.

Last edited by PacoST; 02-22-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Why not keep the exhaust valve open