Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why not keep the exhaust valve open

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where would this plug be on a 2012 997.2 ?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgt3
The vacuum actuator (exhaust flap) part number is : 997 111 901 90 and available at worldimpex.com

Sunset Porsche has the best price on these: $131.26
Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

By the way, as an additional data point for folks thinking about unplugging the exhaust, I'll add my two cents. I tried this when I had my sharkwerks bypass and absolutely loved the sound. It was not too loud, sounded very aggressive, and best of all, no annoying tick-over from quiet to loud when the valves opened. HOWEVER, there was a noticeable drop in low range torque, as measured by the butt dyno. So much so that I plugged the valves back in within 30 minutes. Coming from a torque-rich 996tt, torque is not something I want to give up, even if the sound is sublime.

I'm told the torque loss is very neglible and not noticeable if you still have the stock center muffler, so I can't comment on the torque loss with that configuration, but I can say that unplugging with a bypass style center exhaust seemed to definitely give up some low-end grunt.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
By the way, as an additional data point for folks thinking about unplugging the exhaust, I'll add my two cents. I tried this when I had my sharkwerks bypass and absolutely loved the sound. It was not too loud, sounded very aggressive, and best of all, no annoying tick-over from quiet to loud when the valves opened. HOWEVER, there was a noticeable drop in low range torque, as measured by the butt dyno. So much so that I plugged the valves back in within 30 minutes. Coming from a torque-rich 996tt, torque is not something I want to give up, even if the sound is sublime.

I'm told the torque loss is very neglible and not noticeable if you still have the stock center muffler, so I can't comment on the torque loss with that configuration, but I can say that unplugging with a bypass style center exhaust seemed to definitely give up some low-end grunt.
Bingo!

See post #41 where I expressed some concerns but my post was basically ignored...

After posting I still went ahead unplugged the thing to try it out. My experience is identical as yours on all points. I too have a center bypass and enjoyed not having the abrupt quiet -> loud as the valves opened but butt dyno felt a loss of torque and I plugged it right back.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by limitedslip
Bingo! See post #41 where I expressed some concerns but my post was basically ignored... After posting I still went ahead unplugged the thing to try it out. My experience is identical as yours on all points. I too have a center bypass and enjoyed not having the abrupt quiet -> loud as the valves opened but butt dyno felt a loss of torque and I plugged it right back.
Did you guys have a software tune as well or just the bypass?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

My car is stock other than the bypass. Looks like ScottArizona's is as well.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:25 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

Stock here as well (I do have a bmc flat panel filter though)
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Both of you should give Alex a call at Sharkwerks. Adjustments can be made in the tune, let alone you both probably would really enjoy all the benefits of the software.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:19 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Still searching for another exhaust setup, but in the mean time, I disconnected the vacuum solenoid. Definitely a nice bump in tone and volume with a few short revs to 3000 RPM (cold start, so I didn't want to goose it). Haven't taken it on the road yet, but I'm sure I'll like the change. Don't know how I'll feel about the drop in low end torque, though.....Question regarding the connector. I covered the ends with electrical tape. Do you let the free connector hang or should I secure it to something? The wires don't have much excursion to zip tie to anything.

Valves closed

Valves open
Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Thanks for posting the video's Ed. I had the same experience with mine (except I unhooked when I still had full stock exhaust). Drone appeared at 60-70 mph low rpm cruise. So I bought & installed Sharkwerks center bypass. Much better & no drone.

You also have a Sharkwerks center bypass right? Sounded like it in above video's. If so, then you should love the unhooked config you have now,... 'cept maybe when you actually "want" to close the valves. Then you'll need Carnewal.

Since you're so handy with the GoPro (or camera),... post up a nice "Maverick, permission to Buzz the Tower" fly-by!! Love hearing that 8k shift too.

=Steve
Old 10-03-2020, 10:17 AM
murdog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My sport button is not activating the exhaust valves so I unplugged the valve as instructed and did not notice any change in exhaust sound. What is next step in diagnosing issue? Are the actual valve mechanisms bad? Any way to test those on the car or do they need removed? Are the difficult to remove? Thanks for help!
Old 10-03-2020, 05:40 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

There are many threads on this subject. As soon as I got my car I put an M&M center bypass and got the remote control valve actuator from Carnewel. It allows you to open and close the valves at will, and they stay open or closed just the way you want even when you turn the car off. They call it PSE manual control:
http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...Manual-Control

Beware that during covid Gert at Carnewel has been hard to communicate with, and shipping issues from europe. But it's small and perhaps shipping has normalized since the pandemic started.

Your valves may also be no longer functioning. The vacuum hoses might have cracked, a valve might have failed-so you have to look down there and determine what happened. If only one valve stays open, the sound is bizarre, and you should be able to tell instantly.

After many years, a few months ago I got the Soul valved bypass setup, and kept the M&M center bypass as well. I was worried it would be too loud, but with the valves closed it's just enough not to drive the neighbors crazy. Many on the 991 camp also did this. I kept the Carnewel pse because I prefer to control the valves and close or open when I want. I wrote a thread on the subject and there were others comparing choices etc.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:30 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

My butt dyno must be bad. I did this mod and didn't notice any significant loss in low-end torque. But the increased exhaust sounds are glorious. If I'm driving below 4k RPM I'm not on it anyway so there is no sense of urgency. If there is any loss in torque, it's totally worth it for the improved sound. I'm also running a Soul center bypass. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
jackb911 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 02:26 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

I am running valved side delete, stock center. I dont want the valves, so I leave the lines plugged with screws and unconnected to valves. Is there any difference between this vs. disconnecting the switch in the engine compartment and attaching the lines to the valves?

Last edited by drl; 10-04-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:02 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

It installed the Valvetronic Design Controller to be stealth in and out of the neighborhood. Works great.

Quick Reply: Why not keep the exhaust valve open