Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 akrapovic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M-M
Secan is also my next steep. I bought RS tuning Stage III, 635HP with Boost hose kit, ready on Friday

Cheers
If your going for the Stage 3 RS Tuning 635PS and then adding the Secan IC ....would it not make more sence to get the stage 4 680PS kit....it will be less money getting this as a package then buying the Secan IC later?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a fellow Akrapovic Evolution Race system owner, I can guarantee you will love this system tremendously. After the installation wipe off the complete system with WD40 as recommended from Akrapovic and after burn in, it will be a Mona Lisa staring at you.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 AM
ashoof
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prosper
wow, beautiful...
I never see the picture of the header this close...

anyway, I read on the M3post website,
that you got to be careful when installing this Titanium exhaust for the first time...

make sure you clean all the finger print before turning on the engine for the first time,
or somehow when the Titanium change color for the first time,
your finger print will stay there, and make it look ugly...
again,
I am not sure about this,
but that is what I remember reading about...
Originally Posted by Jiaim
use wd40 to clean it too.
Originally Posted by JMD0977
You are correct. Gloves should be used when installing to prevent oils (from hands/finger) from leaving spots in the titanium, which will change to blue/purple due to the heat.
Originally Posted by Md11skipper
As a fellow Akrapovic Evolution Race system owner, I can guarantee you will love this system tremendously. After the installation wipe off the complete system with WD40 as recommended from Akrapovic and after burn in, it will be a Mona Lisa staring at you.

i was not aware of that thank you guys
Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 AM
M-M
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z06
If your going for the Stage 3 RS Tuning 635PS and then adding the Secan IC ....would it not make more sence to get the stage 4 680PS kit....it will be less money getting this as a package then buying the Secan IC later?
If I want the 680HP with Secan IC´s later I have done a special deal with my tuner. Now I just want my car back, can´t wait any longer
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 AM
YearOne
Racer

Does anyone know how strong this system is? I was talking to an ex-F1 mechanic whilst admiring this system at Manthey that he was worried that if it was very hot and for instance you went through a cold puddle it could shatter from the heat change. Is this possible? Will the system hold together well over time in general?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
680 kit doesn't exist, only on paper...... If he gets his ECU reflashed to my program he has the Secan "tune"

Those exhaust pics are georgeous - thanks for posting....

I guess you GT2 guys satisfied yourselves on the Metal vs Ceramic 100 cell cat issue ?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 AM
ashoof
Track Day

Originally Posted by YearOne
Does anyone know how strong this system is? I was talking to an ex-F1 mechanic whilst admiring this system at Manthey that he was worried that if it was very hot and for instance you went through a cold puddle it could shatter from the heat change. Is this possible? Will the system hold together well over time in general?
time will tell
Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by TB993tt

I guess you GT2 guys satisfied yourselves on the Metal vs Ceramic 100 cell cat issue ?
Toby, I understand the larger metal cats flow better vs the ceramic cats. For me it is a side benefit, as mentioned in recent posts, the quality of my recently fitted Cargraphic 100 cell cats are not horrible.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
prosper
Instructor

The Fastest MANNED Aircraft is still the SR-71 Blackbird.
and almost it's entire body panel was made from Titanium.
Based on reading the article below,
I think Titanium Header and Exhaust is pretty safe for daily operation

Beside many high performance motorcycles had been equipped with Akrapovic (and other brand) Full Titanium Header and Exhaust system for many years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-71_Blackbird

Below is a copy and paste of part of the wikipedia article :

Design and operational details
The flight instrumentation of SR-71 Blackbird
Question book-new.svg
This section needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2009)

A particularly difficult issue with flight at over Mach 3 is the high temperatures generated. As an aircraft moves through the air at supersonic speed, the air in front of the aircraft is compressed into a supersonic shock wave, and the energy generated by this heats the airframe. To address this problem, high-temperature materials were needed, and the airframe of the SR-71 was substantially made of titanium, obtained from the USSR at the height of the Cold War. Lockheed used many guises to prevent the Soviet government from knowing what the titanium was to be used for. In order to control costs, Lockheed used a more easily-worked alloy of titanium which softened at a lower temperature. Finished aircraft were painted a dark blue (almost black) to increase the emission of internal heat (since fuel was used as a heat sink for avionics cooling) and to act as camouflage against the night sky.[citation needed] The aircraft was designed to minimize its radar cross-section, an early attempt at stealth design.[12] The call sign of the aircraft, "Blackbird", signifies the resistance of its airframe to visible light and radar detection.

Fuselage

To allow for thermal expansion at the high operational temperatures the fuselage panels were manufactured to fit only loosely on the ground. Proper alignment was only achieved when the airframe heated due to air resistance at high speeds, causing the airframe to expand several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the thermal expansion of the airframe at extreme temperatures, the aircraft would leak JP-7 jet fuel onto the runway before it took off. The aircraft would quickly make a short sprint, meant to warm up the airframe, and was then refueled in the air before departing on its mission. Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces at the front of the wings (chines). On landing after a mission the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F), too hot to approach. Non-fibrous asbestos with high heat tolerance was used in high-temperature areas.[15]

In the end, the SR-71's greatest protection was its high top speed, which made it almost invulnerable to the attack technologies of the time; over the course of its service life, not one was shot down, despite over 4,000 attempts to do so. All the pilot had to do when a SAM was fired was to accelerate.[21]

Titanium structures and skin

Before the Blackbird, titanium could only be found in aircraft in high-temperature exhaust fairings and other small parts directly related to supporting, cooling, or shaping high-temperature areas. Building the Blackbird's structure using 85% titanium and 15% composite materials was a first in the aircraft industry. The advances made by Lockheed in fabricating this material have been used in subsequent high-speed aircraft, including most modern fighters.

Titanium was difficult to work with, expensive, and scarce. Initially, 80% of the titanium delivered to Lockheed was rejected due to metallurgical contamination.[30][31] One example of the difficulties of working with titanium is that welds made at certain times of the year were more durable than welds made at other times. It was found that the manufacturing plant's water came from one reservoir in the summer and another in the winter; the slight differences in the impurities in the water from these sources led to differences in the durability of the welds, since water was used to cool the titanium welds.[32]

Studies of the aircraft's titanium skin revealed that the metal was actually growing stronger over time, because of intense heating due to compression of the air, caused by the rapid flight of the vehicle (heat treatment).

Major portions of the upper and lower inboard wing skin of the SR-71 were corrugated, not smooth. The thermal expansion stresses of a smooth skin would have caused splitting or curling. By making the surface corrugated, the skin was allowed to expand vertically and horizontally without overstressing, which also increased longitudinal strength. Despite its success, aerodynamicists initially opposed the concept and accused the design engineers of trying to make a 1920s era Ford Trimotor — known for its corrugated aluminum skin — go Mach 3.[15]

The red stripes on some SR-71s are to prevent maintenance workers from damaging the skin. The curved skin near the center of the fuselage is thin and delicate. There is no support underneath with exception of the structural ribs, which are spaced several feet apart.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, obviously he was a mechanic and not an engineer.

Probably the guy changing tires for the team.

Phil
Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS996
Very nice Ashoof I ordered the same complete Akrapovic system yesterday.

Special thanks to Jesus (JMD0977), thanks for the group buy opportunity.
Originally Posted by ashoof
thank you for making it happen
You're welcome guys. Thank you you guys as well; we did need a minimun of 3 people. If anyone else is interested in ANY Akrapovic system at a very nice price, let me know. I can still pull a few strings.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M-M
If I want the 680HP with Secan IC´s later I have done a special deal with my tuner. Now I just want my car back, can´t wait any longer
LOL, It's worth the wait..... 635PS will be a Monster!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
THEMASH
4th Gear

I HATE YOU ....

:P
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by M-M
Secan is also my next steep. I bought RS tuning Stage III, 635HP with Boost hose kit, ready on Friday

Cheers
The power / torque of this package will be incredible…..I find it difficult to keep traction with my 600PS package.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

does anyone has verified gains with a 82 mm GT3 throttle body instead of the stock (75 mm like the turbo?).

cause there seems to have some nice pieces to gain good flow before the turbo with those carbon pipes, but it's even petter to keep it after the snails with a larger Y pipe, TB and T plenum?

Quick Reply: GT2 akrapovic