Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lower mounting point for Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower mounting point for Sport Bucket Seats?

I've heard it referenced a few times but can't find any confirmation. I am a little over 6'7" so headroom is obviously key. I modified the mounts for my old 996GT3 seats to drop the back down lower and give me more clearance for a helmet. They are too tight around the shoulders for me and are not airbag compatible so I don't want to use them in the new car. The new sport buckets sit even higher than they did before this modification.

Is there another mounting point on the brackets? Has anyone modified one or seen a lowering kit like BK makes for the 996 GT3 seats?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 02:05 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Also, does anyone have a picture of the side brackets of these seats? Just trying to figure out if I could drill it myself to lower.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,588 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I've heard it referenced a few times but can't find any confirmation. I am a little over 6'7" so headroom is obviously key. I modified the mounts for my old 996GT3 seats to drop the back down lower and give me more clearance for a helmet. They are too tight around the shoulders for me and are not airbag compatible so I don't want to use them in the new car. The new sport buckets sit even higher than they did before this modification.

Is there another mounting point on the brackets? Has anyone modified one or seen a lowering kit like BK makes for the 996 GT3 seats?

Thanks
Honestly I dont think this is going to work for you, I'm 6'1" tall and I just installed the GT2 sport buckets ... I barley clear the roofline with my helmet on and unlike the 996 GT3 seats where you could drill the side mounts or get the BK mounts the GT2 mounts cant be drilled
The following users liked this post:
jeepee (09-23-2023)
Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look like you will be able to lower. Not enough material aroung the bolt holes. Even if you could lower the seat the underside is already pretty close to the frame. So it doesn't look you would gain much headroom. Was just looking at this when I had the seats out fitting a roll bar.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,794 Posts

The Euro 997.2 GT3 Racing Buckets (similar to the CGT seats) supposedly sit quite a bit lower than the GT2-style buckets.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - doesn't look promising. I guess I need to hang on to my 996 GT3 seats.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - doesn't look promising. I guess I need to hang on to my 996 GT3 seats.
Yup which is a shame because having had both ... the Gt2 seats are way nicer that the 996 GT3 seats ...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you comment on in what you like better about the GT2 seats compare to the 6GT3 seats?! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
Can you comment on in what you like better about the GT2 seats compare to the 6GT3 seats?! Thanks!
Sure, I should probably preface with the follow:

- I'm 6'1" tall, 260lbs (aha I can save some weight on the car by dropping 60lbs)
- I use my car for both track and street

I had the 996 GT3 seats in both my 996.1 996.2 and my (current) 997.1 GT3's

while I found the 996 (leather) seats reasonably comfortable in both cars, the seats were a "tad" narrow for my ample "beam" so longer distance driving became literally a PITA ... (pun intended)

I also found, particularly in the 997.1 with a sunroof that:

a) the seats were a little too high, so when the car "jumped" I would bang
the top of my helmet off of the roof liner ...

b) with the (factory) side mounts I found the seat "too upright" for my liking,
it made it difficult for me to attain a good "heel/toe" position for my right
leg.

switching to the Brey Krause mounts and lowering/raking the seats (by using the
lower of the 2 bolt holes on the side mounts) helped greatly with this.

additionally in the 997 I notice that the "cobra head" was a little wide and would
occasionally rub on the inside of the car... so much so I could not get the seatbelt
around the seat with the door closed

comparing the above to the new seats, they are marginally wider and also have some better padding, they do not seem as upright as the 996 seats, and are
somewhere between the factory and BK side mounts in terms of height ...
the width of the "cobra head" is less and is therefore a better fit ...

lastly, and perhaps least, stylistically they seem a better match for the 997 ...

hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

This was probably directed at Larry but two big things for me. Comfort - my shoulders are pretty broad and the butterfly wings tend to roll them forward. Gets very uncomfortable after a while - I need a seat that allows me to hang over the edges through the shoulder area. Other general comfort areas but that is the big one.

Second is I'd like it to be airbag-compatible to sense weight in the passenger seat.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Very helpful, thanks for the info!!

Sounds like the 6GT3 seat is tighter fitting (but might be okay for a smaller guy like me)! (5'10", 190 lbs or so..)

Last edited by cfjan; 01-25-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This was probably directed at Larry but two big things for me. Comfort - my shoulders are pretty broad and the butterfly wings tend to roll them forward. Gets very uncomfortable after a while - I need a seat that allows me to hang over the edges through the shoulder area. Other general comfort areas but that is the big one.

Second is I'd like it to be airbag-compatible to sense weight in the passenger seat.
I didnt have that problem ... but I agree about the 2nd ... they are a better compromise between a road/track seat ...

One quirk, why did Porsche make them with a hole for a sub belt and not also manufacture a sub bar to mount such on ... thanks to Brey Krause that problem is solved ... modulo relocating the sensor
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Very helpful, thanks for the info!!
if you are over 6' the I would automatically recommend the BK side mounts ...

another good reason for them is that it allows the seats to move further back ...
I had a techquipment bar and factory side mounts in my car (997) and the mounts
struck the bolt on the bat so I couldnt get the seat all the way back
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All that you guys said, especially the thorax airbag for street use. One big benefit I find is the forward folding feature of the Sport Bucket. Makes it so easy to stow your track (and other) gear in the back. Need even better access, just slide the seat forward, tilt, and you can slip that 10x10 folding track tent in.
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread, but I don't want to start a new one, I hope you guys chime in.

Ok, so from what I've read, all I need to do is install the 'http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...rsche-gt3-seat' to my 997 gt3 and the *** of the seats will drop?

Quick Reply: Lower mounting point for Sport Bucket Seats?