Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS lighten up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS lighten up

I can't believe that a someone would order an RS with full leather, a lift kit and lightweight headlights !!!

Do buyers really understand the history of this car?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't you the one who posted a few months ago about how you only drive your current RS in clear weather and never take it to the track? To each his own...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I would agree with you dertub BUT many people just buy cars to be seen in them, not for their intended purpose... They just want to make a statement and Porsche are just catering for that market... Not to mention that most of us could not extract the best out of a heavier car let alone take advantage of the benefit of a stripped down version purely due to driving skill...

I'd say more than half of Ferrari and Lambo sales locally go to people who are cashed up in their 50s or 60s... These too are high end sportscars and yet they are being used to buy bread and milk from the local store. Certainly don't need to be able to do 0-60mph in sub 4s to buy bread and milk....
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I don't get it why people think an extra 0.5 lbs of leather is going to make any difference with lap times. I wouldn't buy an RS without full leather because I like the way it looks, and since it's my money, I get the final say. If you don't want to buy my used car in the future, don't.

While the RS shares its name with the past, the reality is that this is not an RS in the traditional sense. The sheer volumes predicate that, not to mention the street drivability and street bias. I for one am happy that Porsche has gone this route because I can have one car for weekend blasts and the same car for track days.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
Aren't you the one who posted a few months ago about how you only drive your current RS in clear weather and never take it to the track? To each his own...
Well said....
Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... not many purists here. I guess we should order full leather and take it to the track... heated seats also... what a joke.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
... not many purists here. I guess we should order full leather and take it to the track... heated seats also... what a joke.
lighten up
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

Purist? Poser? So many variants.... Do you track your car? Do you use it for its intended purpose... to be driven, and driven hard? Different strokes.... some might call a GT3 owner that doesn't take it to the track a poser....

I also drive my RS in the rain, and only primarily use it for the track as I feel that a GT3 that is used on the street is very under utilised, but there are others that will buy a GT3, polish it and keep it nicely garaged in wet weather and never take it to the track. But they appreciate the car for a different reason.... would I do that... no way! But I sure aint going to call there attitude towards their car a joke.... and I have been through a fair few Porsche's and consider myself a hardcore Porsche nut but still appreciate there are those that want a tiptronic. Knowing the history of the RS... well the new RS sure aint anything like the original with all the driver aids and extra weight already in the car, so if someone wants to stuff leather in theirs, power to them. As long as they enjoy it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't believe that a someone would order an RS with full leather, a lift kit and lightweight headlights !!!

Do buyers really understand the history of this car?
What is the point of your post? You are trying to teach us how to spend our money? or you want to be a history teacher?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

To each his own! Most people here talk about lightening up their car blah blah blah. Buy what you want. The extra weight won't mean a thing except to maybe .5% of the people here if that. To me a purist is one who uses the car for what it was made for ... both street and track combined. You want a purist track car, go buy a cup. I'm getting an RS and yes it has Nav. So what. I will drive it daily plus track the hell out of it. Last GT3 had for 3 years, did 110+ track days, and was my daily driver. It had Nav also. Only mods where safety gear, track pads, and hoosiers. Focussed my efforts on getting to the track and trying to drive the car to it's limits. Why, because I worried more about improving my skills to go faster , vs adding a bunch of parts which let me increase my speed, but not increase my abilities.

Stop worrying about what options are on a car, it's weight, and just drive the hell out of them.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how do you use yours...?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

everyone has their take.
i love detailing my cars to the nth degree. but i also thrash it to the best of MY ability which is far short of the car's potential. i didn't order full leather b/c of my OCD. that's truth. i like the leather, but knowing myself, i would spend hours lotioning it and throw my back out (which i have done doing that) that's the only reason i dont want it. i really NEED GPS, i get lost driving to/from my office to home, i am not kidding. and one time i drove in the opposite direction coming home from a track that i goto EVERY month. took me whole 50 min to realize that. but hey, i dont mind getting lost so no GPS for me. as far as wt is concerned. the RS is a fk'g heavy pig by ANY standard. any car over 2000 lbs is a pig and that includes the cup cars. trying saving a few lbs on the RS is pointless. just order it any which way you like. afterall it's your money that you worked hard for.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Dertub if u have an allocation for an RS did u also had radio/ac delete as well? Mike
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What... has someone been picking on you and this is your way of feeling better... I ordered my RS the way I wanted it, full leather and lift system and big bad heavy xenons, not the way I thought other people want. Now go take one of the blue pills and chill out!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
everyone has their take.
i love detailing my cars to the nth degree. but i also thrash it to the best of MY ability which is far short of the car's potential. i didn't order full leather b/c of my OCD. that's truth. i like the leather, but knowing myself, i would spend hours lotioning it and throw my back out (which i have done doing that) that's the only reason i dont want it. i really NEED GPS, i get lost driving to/from my office to home, i am not kidding. and one time i drove in the opposite direction coming home from a track that i goto EVERY month. took me whole 50 min to realize that. but hey, i dont mind getting lost so no GPS for me. as far as wt is concerned. the RS is a fk'g heavy pig by ANY standard. any car over 2000 lbs is a pig and that includes the cup cars. trying saving a few lbs on the RS is pointless. just order it any which way you like. afterall it's your money that you worked hard for.
You want a 2000 lbs GT3?

Here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...0-lbs-gt3.html

Quick Reply: RS lighten up