Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do Ferrari guys have issues with Ceramic brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here we go... Porsche VS. Ferrari.... CORRECTION: Porsche Owners VS. Ferrari Owners
Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Please note, I stated that generally speaking Ferrari owners do not track their vehicles, you will always find a few track enthusiast that track the hell out of their Ferrari's. On the other hand, many GT3/RS owners live for track days. From personal experience, I know half a dozen Ferrari owners that do not track their cars. In fact, most of these fellows don't even drive them. Indeed, most participants at track events are either Porsches, Corvettes, BMW's and Miata's.
well - generally speaking - certain porsche owners (boxster, cayenne, panamera, etc...) do not track their vehicles either...

I know several scuderia, and challenge stradale owners that drive / track their cars as often as gt3 drivers....

It's all personal preference - and how you get enjoyment out of your vehicle.
Nothing wrong with buying something and not tracking it - although that's not my personal interest....
Old 01-15-2010, 05:27 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Me and Jochen were at Modena Track days at the Ring GP circuit in 07 with our then brand new GT3 and RS. Rain - check, 50 degree weather - check, Awesome owner of an F40 dicing it out with us - check and check. That was an amazing day and some truely exceptional equipment. It was nice seeing all the italian machinery getting used properly.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Me and Jochen were at Modena Track days at the Ring GP circuit in 07 with our then brand new GT3 and RS. Rain - check, 50 degree weather - check, Awesome owner of an F40 dicing it out with us - check and check. That was an amazing day and some truely exceptional equipment. It was nice seeing all the italian machinery getting used properly.
Now THAT sounds like a good day..
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - Sounds like the same issue is there. Use them up, which can happen easily if you don't brake properly, and you have a very steep bill.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM
optionpunk
Intermediate

I could be out to lunch here but could have sworn I saw a thread some time ago that noted that Porsche and Ferrari both use the same supplier for their ceramics...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago Porsche purchased the ceramic rotor company that makes all the rotors. One of the major money makers for Porsche besides stock swindling is the selling of technology to other auto manufaturers. Just as the brembo brakes from a F-car and a P-car are the same, so are the rotors.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
tiger 6
Advanced

Some interesting comments here. I have a Scud and a RS, both of which have seen a good bit of track/street time. The RS has steel rotors, suspension mods, seats, belts, half cage, Toyo R888 tires etc. The Scud is stock.
Couple of observations/thoughts. The rotors on the Scud cost ~ $18,000 to replace[4]. This does not include calipers and pads. A set of Brembo front pads are $1704 for the set for the Scud. It is recommended that the pads be changed when they have worn ~ 50-60% to preclude any risk of scoring the rotors. The ceramic brakes on the Scud, IMHO, are just dangerous on the street. I have tried a couple of "panic" stops at 60 and 70 mph[in a safe location], and the car will not stop quickly as the rotors et al do not heat up sufficiently. I don't know what the experience is with a Porsche with ceramics, but I give myself a good 3-5 car lengths behind another car on the street-more on a hwy.
A couple of excellent mechanics around here who work on 430 Challenge cars have told me that most owners have switched to steel rotors for their series.
Understanding there is a significant difference between the 2 cars-weight, balance, suspension, tires etc-I don't feel there is an advantage for the ceramics on the Scud vs steel on the RS as far as performance goes. I do not threshhold brake on every lap in both cars or take them to the point that the ABS kicks in in every corner-but when I have a clear track and a good lap going..........
Performance wise, I feel the RS is as good as the Scud in braking performance, provided one keeps things cooled down when necessary.
I will change the Scud's rotors and pads to a steel application before we get started with this year's track season.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
well - generally speaking - certain porsche owners (boxster, cayenne, panamera, etc...) do not track their vehicles either...

I know several scuderia, and challenge stradale owners that drive / track their cars as often as gt3 drivers....

It's all personal preference - and how you get enjoyment out of your vehicle.
Nothing wrong with buying something and not tracking it - although that's not my personal interest....
Can you be honest, as I get mixed opinions/facts and reviews.. Do those stradale's hold up to the extreme track abuse?? Let's say like 25-30 track day's that you can put on a GT3/GT2? I always wanted a Stradale but just never could muster up the possible failures/maintenance numbers and requirements :/
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Ne one who has a fcar does 25-30 trackdays a year? Mike
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

i dont know the answer - -perhaps post that question on fchat.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Ne one who has a fcar does 25-30 trackdays a year? Mike
Yeah, we have a guy here in the Bay Area who I am sure does that many track days in his blue F430. He probably has upwards of 40k miles on it.

Gary

Quick Reply: Do Ferrari guys have issues with Ceramic brakes?