Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Service Records (history)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
optionpunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Records (history)

Are Porsche dealers linked up? In other words if you were to request the service records from a dealer that did not originally sell and service a car is the entire service history available or only the service that took place at that specific dealer?
If the history is not available does anyone have experience with going to the previous dealerships for records? Curious if that is something they would willingly give up...
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think warranty will show up.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the dealers are not linked up on service records. They are however connected on Warranty issues. This is due to the fact that every dealer utilizes one of several different "database/systems" for the service and the same PNA database for warranty/CPO.
I think it is ridiculous that all dealers are not on the same database/system for service. This would make researching service history much easier more efficient for any perspective buyer. In order to check real service records a buyer will need to know what specific dealer the car has had service at, and then call the service advisor for that dealership.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned the DB is not linked for detailed service records given to the owner. It is kept at the dealer that performs the services. They usually do not give out the info unless it is approved by the owner.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
optionpunk
Intermediate

That makes it a little more difficult to do some in depth research. As noted in other posts it seems that GT3's often have multiple owners - I can't imagine trying to track down, in some cases, the 4 previous owners which puts a justifiable premium on the "1 owner car".
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by optionpunk
That makes it a little more difficult to do some in depth research. As noted in other posts it seems that GT3's often have multiple owners - I can't imagine trying to track down, in some cases, the 4 previous owners which puts a justifiable premium on the "1 owner car".
that is correct. Even if the car no longer belongs to that person. I was looking at a car sitting in a Ferrari dealer and the Porsche shop would not provide me with anything in writing. I have a very good relationship with them but they are not allowed without the owners permission.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by optionpunk
Are Porsche dealers linked up? In other words if you were to request the service records from a dealer that did not originally sell and service a car is the entire service history available or only the service that took place at that specific dealer?
If the history is not available does anyone have experience with going to the previous dealerships for records? Curious if that is something they would willingly give up...
What I did when I found a Turbo I wanted I got a copy of the CPO paperwork and noted on it the various dealers that had performed some warranty work. They were all in my area.

I called each Porsche dealer in my area -- 5 or 6 -- and with the VIN found out what services the car had had. I spoke with someone in the service departmant at each dealership.

Anyhow at one dealer I learned of the car's last brake fluid service: Several years back.

Another told me the car's last oil change was in Oct. of 2008 (I was looking at the car in June of '09.).

The dealer service departments would not name the owner of the car (I would never ask) and I didn't bother to ask for the work records in writing.

The person I spoke with at each dealership just asked me for the VIN and then looked up the car's service records in their service computer's database. A few I spoke with had no record of the car ever having been at their dealership.
Once I satisfied myself the car had not been totally neglected I decided I wanted the car and bought it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
RAPID
Racer

In Europe they are linked up (at least within a contry). When I bought my car second hand, the dealer was able to print out the service history (different dealers) from his terminal. I believe you can also request it against payment from Porsche head office-

Quick Reply: Service Records (history)