Porsche and Forza 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche and Forza 3

Two part question:

#1: Does anyone race on the XBOX 360 Forza? I have done some with my son, and it really seems to mimic the handling characteristics of the cars. I have never been on the track, but can pilot the 914 much better than an equally powerful 911 with it's understeer. And the GT3 (the car I own) is even harder to handle with it's power. Are these characteristics accurate on the game?

#2: I am new to Porsche and sport driving, and I plan to take driving instruction. I have done one lesson at Mid-Ohio (defensive driving with skidpad, collision avoidance and panic braking), but have not had any track instruction as yet. I am afraid to take my new gt3 on the track being such a newbie. Is this reasonable? Should I buy a track car -- something used and not too powerful to start? I am sure these are very broad questions with a huge range of answers, but any insight is appreciated.

Thank you.

I have tried to include pics but am having difficulty.

2010 GT3 PCCB, lift, DEM
1996 C-4
Moto Guzzi V11 Coppa Italia
BMW motorcycles - too many
Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I race Forza 3 on the XBox. I do not think they have modeled the 911 characteristics correctly in the game.

You can take your GT3 on the track, that is what it is made for. In general, I do not consider it a great leaners car as it handles too well and it is extremely powerful. A (much) slower car would be a better platform to learn how to drive.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I just got it and have run mainly the Abarth and Ford Focus, but have tried the 996GT3 and 997tt. I think the modeling may not be perfect but it definitely reflects significant differences in the cars.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

#2: I logged around 40 track days in an AWD 996 before moving up to a GT3. I could have easily afforded the GT3 even before my very first track day, but do not regret for a moment having taken my time. It is making the GT3 ownership experience much more rewarding, especially on the track.

#1: I have not tried Forza 3, but have Forza 2, and there are other platforms for game racing that do a better job than Forza 2 at replicating the physics of each car. But in IMO, even the better platforms deliver a poor measure for what you are trying to discern for the track. Different skills, ages, financial resources, etc., make for very personal versions of the "right" answer. Talk to people who have already been down the path you are contemplating - they will help you understand many aspects and nuances that games can't.

So kudos for asking the questions... you've made a good start. Many more to left to ask, however, like "what's this "slippery slope" I've heard about?".
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

1. The game doesn't represent mid or rear engines at all that well. It doesn't represent 911's that well.
The game is coded for balance, weight, engine position, drive type, and front/rear aero. They quite honestly created it for front engined cars. Front engined cars with awd are just amazing. While mid engined cars with awd feels more understeer. Mid engined car with rwd have great sence of balance but can oversteer very easily like how a modern 911 feels. The 911 is instant oversteer then understeer it has no balance, constantly slides in the corners.
The game favors control pads and isn't really created for wheels so to get a realistic feel is very tough.
The majority of 911's in the game don't have adjustable downforce and are given tail happy characteristics that Porsche has fixed a long time ago. Yah you lift a bit in real life and the car will turn in but in the game the car will just lose control completely. Totally unreal.
Fixing the tail happy 911 means adding downforce to the rear. Forza2/3 decided not to allow all the 911's that ability to do that accept with the GT3 RS. Probably the closest car to drive in the game that feels like a 911 if you tune it up right.

2. If you take it slow and learn smoothness. That is the key, you can learn with the GT3 though it will take a while to get to the limits and with those limits set so very high a mistake at the limit can be very bad.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

the hardest thing about the game is to prevent "button mashing" as obviously there is no feedback from a trigger button in comparison to a real life steering wheel, brake pedal, etc but unlike most people I actually don't mind driving the cars on Forza 3, especially since it gives me a chance to drive RS spyders and the like!

that being said- xbox games are better for learning the track(s) rather than learning how to drive a particular car, but lets face it at least it's some sort of mental training above just watching nascar or whatever on tv.

maybe I'm just younger and from a different generation, but I love video games and don't really pay much attention to the porsche street cars when you can drive audi r15 LMP cars etc
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The KY Region Porsche Club holds two driver education events per year at Putnam Park. This year will be in June and September. You should come and join us! http://kypca.org You'll be assigned an instructor, have classroom time, and four 20 minute track sessions per day. Best 300.00 you'll ever spend, plus a very safe track to learn your car!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

#2: I am new to Porsche and sport driving, and I plan to take driving instruction. I have done one lesson at Mid-Ohio (defensive driving with skidpad, collision avoidance and panic braking), but have not had any track instruction as yet. I am afraid to take my new gt3 on the track being such a newbie. Is this reasonable? Should I buy a track car -- something used and not too powerful to start? I am sure these are very broad questions with a huge range of answers, but any insight is appreciated.
I played s few games that are more or less realistic, but there is very little compensation for weight distribution and bottom feel.

For your first track event;
You should absolutely not be afraid to take your GT3 to a beginners group DE event, you will have an instructor who knows your limitations. You have the prefect car, but a hard one to learn quickly; Be prepared to drive well below the cars' capability for the first few weekends and build up slowly. Nothing wromg with that. If you want to get a taste of DE, just visit an event and go for a few rides and talk to oither beginners, and or rent a car for a day to experience it and get the basics down, if you are woried about your car.

Than try not to lean in thecar like you do on your bikes and create slush fund your wife does not know about....
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

that being said- xbox games are better for learning the track(s) rather than learning how to drive a particular car, but lets face it at least it's some sort of mental training above just watching nascar or whatever on tv.
+1

I do think it helps with reflexes some too when you are using a wheel but it's nowhere near a substitute because you are missing some crucial sensory inputs. Leh Keen might argue though - doesn't he say that a lot of his early training came from the XBOX?

CJ - aren't you getting a full simulator? That should be fun.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you guys want realistic racing you should check out Iracing. Very cool.

Quick Reply: Porsche and Forza 3