Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gt3 2010 review and some q's

2010 gt3 basalt
manual sport seats
dem
lift
navi
bluetooth and ipod connectivity(i didnt order it,are those standard options?)
full leather(must have imo)

After reading so many negatives about ride harshness,stiffness etc. i was surprised how comfortable it is(came with michellin tyres) ,compared to a gt-r or my 135i this rides like a benz. its probably down to the very soft non run flat tyres i guess.if this was a pdk i could absolutely drive this everyday without any comfort compromise,and i have gone on several ramp like speed bumps i have yet to scrape my front end.

Havent done any hard cornering yet but if you accelerate when cornering it tends to understeer,feels like its lifting the front wheels(2.5bar,2.3bar). steering is good but not alive in your hands as i had imagined from several reviews. The car sounds amazing even from inside with the windows up. the only thing less than my expectation was the gear shifting,its not bad at all just not as good as i expected,i need to learn not to miss shift from 2-3 lol.not much torque at low rpm have to shift into 1st on speed bumps. The lift fuction is out of this world,you press the lift and it isntantly responds,no delay like in other cars.

Now keep in mind my last Manual car i drove was 10 or 12years ago and it was a toyota corolla1.6 so if you dont mind i have a couple of questions.and yes ive stalled it twice(i hope that didnt hurt the engine too much?)

1)whats the break in procedure for this car,the manual does not state any rev limit so after 400km ive taken it up to 6500rpm.hope that dosnt degrade engine performance or engine life later on?

2)the sound of this car makes in sports mode is vastly different after driving it for about 30min.even if the oil temp stays at 90deg cel for like 10mins you still get the same exhaust note when it is cold. After what seem like a very long time sitting at 90dec you can hear the exhaust note change to any incredible killer sound.is this normal?

3)the oil pressure stays at 5 even when cruising?? its at 1 when idle though and 4 if youre very light with the throttle.

4)whats the correct tyre pressue for street use?

5)when downshifting do you need to lift the clutch slowly or rev match everytime?

6)how does it feel and sound at 8500?

Sorry for the not so good review and bad english,would appreciate if some can answer my questions.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

thanks for the review. i have an 07 and owner manual stated keep below 5000 rpm for 3000 miles. the oil pressure gauge constantly stays at max when engine is at anything other than idle. hope that helps till others chime in with better 10 info

btw, do you currently have gtr? i am considering replacing my gt3 with one when lease is up next yr
Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
thanks for the review. i have an 07 and owner manual stated keep below 5000 rpm for 3000 miles. the oil pressure gauge constantly stays at max when engine is at anything other than idle. hope that helps till others chime in with better 10 info

btw, do you currently have gtr? i am considering replacing my gt3 with one when lease is up next yr
your welcome. no i sold my gtr after i bout the 135i and now gt3.at low rpm gt3lacks the torque even compared to my 135i. gtr is more of an everyday car i would say compared to gt3, mostly down to the 4seats,big truck and auto trans. althogh it actaully rides worst because of the run flat tyres just like the 135i which also rides worst then gt3 even though it rolls so much in the corners that it almost feels like kissing the ground. gtr when pushed to the limit is fun ,you sit a lot higher in the gtr, you can drive it more confidently than any other car,the audio is really amazing,upshifts are very quick and seemless.

on the down side it dosnt have good low speed manners,gearbox is cluncky when shifting from 3-2 but smoothes out later ive hear,gearing is too low.maintenance is expensive(tyres,trans oil,brakes) wear out quickly for such a heavy car expecially if yo do lots of spirited drives.

on a side note it does corner like nothing else ive ever driven(incl 430,murci,997tt) compared to my gt3(feels more agile,more happy in directional changes whereas the gtr felt etremely quick in the long fast speed corners). hope that helps.

one thing im curious about though is this car really come alive after 5000rpm and since i dont want to cross 6000rpm rite now,does that power stay with you upto the 8400 limit?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as the break in period I have herd many different opinions. But, some mechanics have told me it is more important to vary your rpm for the break in period then stay under 6000 rpm. Remember these engines are tested extensively in Germany at full rpm before they put them in the car. (I just would not run it at full rpm for extended period but hitting it and shifting, I do not think would hurt the engine)

As for as the power band. It pulls at full rpm (8400) like nothing I have ever felt. You know how most cars seem to loose lots of power 200-500 rpms before the red line? Well that is definitely not the case with the 2010 Gt-3. To me it almost feels like the power band just never ends.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

my understanding is proper break in is 2 steps first to limit rpm level to below 5000 and 2nd to vary the rpms as much as possible. ie. no cruise control on highway for 3 hr drive.

and dont be disappointed with engine until you get to go above 5000. redline on gt3 is the best part of the car and performance is amazing. its what distinguishes it from all the other sports cars
Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by Giantviper
As far as the break in period I have herd many different opinions. But, some mechanics have told me it is more important to vary your rpm for the break in period then stay under 6000 rpm. Remember these engines are tested extensively in Germany at full rpm before they put them in the car. (I just would not run it at full rpm for extended period but hitting it and shifting, I do not think would hurt the engine)

As for as the power band. It pulls at full rpm (8400) like nothing I have ever felt. You know how most cars seem to loose lots of power 200-500 rpms before the red line? Well that is definitely not the case with the 2010 Gt-3. To me it almost feels like the power band just never ends.
Yeah this seems to just go after 5000.this engine is very different to all other cars ive driven. unlike those cars this feels very comfortable at 4000plus rpm even when just cruising. if you cuise in any other car at 3000-4000rpm the engine sounds like its crying lol.

btw my car tracks very little toward right ,should i get the alignment done,steering is not dead center(maybe 1.5mm from center pos).shoud i get the alignment done or is this because of toe out setting from factory?

thanks again for your input in this.

Quick Reply: New gt3 2010 review and some q's