Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS titanium exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010 | 10:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Default RS titanium exhaust

New details (under "Features" for RS) up on the Porsche website suggest only Ti in the RS exhaust is going to be the tailpipes - not the center section as has been speculated. Photo is from the RS section.

Also interesting to note that the car weight is omitted.

Hope to be proven wrong on this one and wouldn't be first time website is wrong (they're still showing plastic rear window as standard in US), but with both the order guide and the website giving same info it looks like all we're getting are a set of bolt-on Ti tailpipes.

From RS "Features" on Porsche website:
The lightweight sport exhaust system in the 911 GT3 models consists of two front silencers, two catalytic converters and one rear silencer. The exhaust on the 911 GT3 is painted black, whereas on the 911 GT3 RS it is made from titanium. The system’s large volume reduces exhaust back pressure to increase power.

From the order guide:
450 hp, 317 lb ft torque - 3.8 liter horizontally opposed 6 cylinder, aluminum alloy engine block & cylinder heads, titanium connecting rods.
Rear mounted engine. Dry sump lubrication system with external oil tank and oil cooler. 4 overhead camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder,
“VarioCam Plus” variable inlet and exhaust valve timing. 2 stage resonance induction intake manifold. Cylinder specific knock control. Sport
exhaust system with 2 titanium center tail pipes.
Dynamic engine mounting."
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2010 | 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting, it would go against what they said earlier about a titanium exhaust that save weight.
Someone shanged their mind?
This would be pretty pointless, but that makes it more justifyable to replace the final muffler with a Sharky.
Old 01-03-2010 | 09:57 AM
atleung
Instructor

The website also says this, "The dual-tube tailpipe is integrated into the center of the body. The silencer and tailpipes are made from lightweight titanium. Their diameter is 5 mm larger than those on the 911 GT3. You can see, and hear the difference."
Old 01-03-2010 | 10:25 AM
savyboy
Drifting

2010 GT3RS Dealer Release quote:

"To save weight (approx 13lbs), the rear silencer and tailpipes are made of titanium."

So I am expecting my center muffler to be Ti.

Rhonda - is M&M or Akrapovic building the OE exhaust? You know what the facts are?
Old 01-03-2010 | 10:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

"To save weight (approx 13lbs), the rear silencer and tailpipes are made of titanium."

Good point
Old 01-03-2010 | 01:49 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
2010 GT3RS Dealer Release quote:

Rhonda - is M&M or Akrapovic building the OE exhaust? You know what the facts are?
I saw the dealer release as well but that came earlier. I hope I'm wrong but lack of a posted weight on website for US cars (ROW has posted weight) and all the references to Ti tailpipes suggests otherwise.

Dropping the Ti silencer, which I understand was to made by Akrapovic and therefore not cheap, would be a quick way for Porsche to juice margins on US RS's.
Old 01-03-2010 | 03:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Dropping the Ti silencer, which I understand was to made by Akrapovic and therefore not cheap, would be a quick way for Porsche to juice margins on US RS's.
Is the length of warranty coverage for the exhaust system any different in countries receiving the Ti silencer compared to what PCNA has to provide in the USA?
Old 01-03-2010 | 08:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I saw the dealer release as well but that came earlier. I hope I'm wrong but lack of a posted weight on website for US cars (ROW has posted weight) and all the references to Ti tailpipes suggests otherwise.

I hope you are wrong as the "lightweight exhaust" was in my mind a major selling point. Deal killer? No. But I think it would ignite a ****-storm of epic proportion.

With that said, the US online configurator indicates: Standard Features: "Titanum end pipe and muffler" and Technical Data shows 3020lbs. Does the info show other incorrect data for US vs ROW cars, yes. But the exhaust and weight should apply equally to all specs.

No need for concern based upon any info I can gather?

AH- Follow-up edit. I see where you were getting your info from. Now, Click "Features ->"Concept"->"Aerodynamics" and voila..."The dual-tube tailpipe is integrated into the center of the body. The silencer and tailpipes are made from lightweight titanium. Their diameter is 5 mm larger than those on the 911 GT3. You can see, and hear the difference."

Hey! Any darn fool knows to look under "Aerodynamics" for their exhaust info!

Last edited by savyboy; 01-03-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2010 | 02:52 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

I was really hesitant about changing this exhaust with sharkyz track system....
but if what you are sying is correct then i will have no doubt in replacing it at all
Old 01-06-2010 | 08:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

bah who needs ti... if you want light this SS one is 11 pounds:P
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=255
Old 01-07-2010 | 04:10 AM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by sharkster
bah who needs ti... if you want light this SS one is 11 pounds:P
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=255
and I bet it would even be lighter if your product above is made from Titanium instead of Stainless Steel.
Of course the cost would be much higher, and it might not be marketable because of that
Old 01-07-2010 | 04:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

pretty easy answer would just be to examine under the blouse of the GT2 right? similar set up I'm guessing...LOL if the US cars only got the Ti Tips. that'd be lame.
Old 01-07-2010 | 09:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Lame indeed!
Old 01-07-2010 | 11:33 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

From RS "Features" on Porsche website:
The lightweight sport exhaust system in the 911 GT3 models consists of two front silencers, two catalytic converters and one rear silencer. The exhaust on the 911 GT3 is painted black, whereas on the 911 GT3 RS it is made from titanium. The system’s large volume reduces exhaust back pressure to increase power.
Problem there is the exhaust on the GT3 is not painted black, only the tips are. So if you replace the part that's painted black with ti, you're talking about ti tips only.

No doubt the same ti tips Porsche is now offering for sale.
Old 01-07-2010 | 11:43 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
pretty easy answer would just be to examine under the blouse of the GT2 right? similar set up I'm guessing...LOL if the US cars only got the Ti Tips. that'd be lame.
I believe GT2 used a Ti center silencer built by Akrapovic. Sorting the RS Ti question will take about 30secs as soon as someone is able to slide underneath and have a look - Ti is pretty easy to tell verses steel.

Anyone that attended the UK launch take the time to look?

Quick Reply: RS titanium exhaust