Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LSD buster

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt, good luck with the move. Maybe also do a roll call for those who've changed their R&P's? How y'all liking them?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks like my luck was pretty good all things considered. Just spent the last 4 days pinned down by flood waters. Thank God that was the worst of my problems.

My home in Loveland (and 1/3 of my inventory) were my island while I had no idea if my warehouse down in Boulder was wet or dry. I made it to the office today as enough roads are finally clear to make the drive down. Everything in both locations is dry and secure. Back to the grind, with the completion date of the move pushed back just a wee bit by a little water.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you and your business is safe. Especially since I'll be needing some parts soon!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

terrible about whats happening in CO. Stay dry and be safe!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Sorry for necromancing but I know a lot of people find this thread on a search and as a reference.

I just want to let people know that in the last six months, business has exploded in a way that I never could have foreseen. First off, I thank many of you, who have been/become customers during that process. However, as a result of that unforeseen growth and expansion, I am attempting to discontinue LSD rebuilds done in house. The reality is that for quite some time, most of the LSD R&R has been done by shops and not DIY in the way that Mikymu did when this thread started. In those instances, where you take your car to a shop, largely RL sponsors, whom I fully support, there is no reason to ship the LSD.

I appreciate the high regard you gentleman hold me in; it is truly flattering. At the same time, when we are changing ramps, and I am sending them a set of my ramps, which I can measure( even though they are 71.45-71.50mm every single time) if I configure the stack, there is no difference whether I install it in your LSD or if the local tech does.

When you do the math, it works out better for you in the end. Let's say you ship me your LSD by ground service fully insured. It's about $40. Depending on where you are it is 3-5 working day. I rebuild it, send it back, another half week or week and $40 goes by. Car is a dead solidier for a week or two. And don't even get me started on Canadian jobs. Fed Ex/UPS hits me with $20-30 in duties after the fact even though there shouldn't be any. Try collecting that from the customer or shop after the fact.

The parts to service these things weigh about 4lbs. I can overnight them, at a much lower insurance rate, for about what it costs to ship your whole 30lb LSD one way. And your car is only parked for 2 days. Win-Win.

So, in the coming months, if you call me, don't be surprised by the question,"Who is working on your car?" If it is you and it's a weekend toy, no problem. If it's a shop, even if they aren't a Guard authorized installer, my response is going to be,"How about I ship you the parts?"

Rest assured, you will still get the same thing. I know one or two members (DeputyDog comes to mind) had problems with shops putting the ramps in upside down. Please know that this is the exception, not the rule. Most of these guys know what they are doing. The pictures on page 1 show ramp orientation. Nobody who is paying attention should put the ramps in upside down. It really is no more complicated than brakes and pads. One just has to pay attention disassembly and lay things out just like they came out. Then they go back in the same way.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Matt

When you get a chance can you do a quick DIY LSD stack install video with your next rebuild and post it here or send it to me and I can upload on Youtube. I can add it to the post for the weekend DIY warrior so it's easy to follow

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks Matt

Are your LSD's good for Cup's too? My OE one broke...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Yes, our LSD will replace all but the newest 991 Cup LSD.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks Matt

When you get a chance can you do a quick DIY LSD stack install video with your next rebuild and post it here or send it to me and I can upload on Youtube. I can add it to the post for the weekend DIY warrior so it's easy to follow

Cheers

Mike
Setting aside that I neither have the time, nor the equipment there are two things that come to mind.
1. I'm a wholesale business. This service was the single departure from that. Part of the brain damage is setting up a new account and residential shipping and everything that goes with retail. I'm not in retail and don't want to be.
2. The service itself is in the FSM (factory service manual). Any serious diyer should own the FSM. I own the FSM on every car I've owned in the last 20 years. If one reads the manual, the actual rebuild is covered there. I know the FSM is expensive, though one can buy just the gearbox module. And we all also know that illegal PDF copies of it are available all over on the Internet quietly changing hands behind the scenes.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I found a 996 40th anniversary lsd on ebay and I've had scan automotive in North Vancouver rebuild it 40/60 using Guard T internals ,
I'm looking forward to picking the car (2004 996 c2) up tomorrow and taking it for a spin.

Thanks for this thread !
Zac
Old 08-25-2016, 06:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu

Fill up the transmission fluid with Mobil Delvac 75W-90 until the fluid flow out of the fill plug opening. I got my transmission fluid from lufteknic. here is the link:

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

It takes about the whole gallon to fill the transmission - it was a major PITA with a hand pump lol. Install the filler plug and count yourself lucky that you don't have to smell this crap for another year

Thanks for taking the time to post this most excellent DIY
Here is my $10 solution to easy transaxle fluid fill.

A high-tech sprayer from Home depot.
  • buy it
  • cut the sprayer wand off
  • add some appropriately sizes tubing
  • fill with your favorite lube
  • insert the tubing
  • pump up some pressure
  • and fill-r-up.
took me 5 minutes to install 3.5L.

Ciao
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (05-31-2020)
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Patiently????
Awaiting a rebuild kit from Matt since the above fluid change did not have the desired effect.

Cheers

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2023, 06:18 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m trying to get the passengers side drive shaft flange out and for the life of me I cannot get the drive shaft out of the way enough to slide the flange out. I have tried to push it out in every direction and just can’t seem to get it.

This is on a 997.2 GT3. Is there some difference between .1 and .2 that’s making it more difficult? Thanks for any info!
Old 11-04-2023, 01:46 AM
JpCrp
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure on any differences between the 7.1 and 7.2 in that regard. But if all else fails, if you haven't already tried, maybe disconnect your suspension arms. That should let you move the wheel carrier and possibly give you more room to maneuver the axle or just remove it all together,
Old 11-04-2023, 02:44 AM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I was finally able to get it. Had to remove a plastic tube coming off of the trans to get the additional room.

Originally Posted by JpCrp
Not sure on any differences between the 7.1 and 7.2 in that regard. But if all else fails, if you haven't already tried, maybe disconnect your suspension arms. That should let you move the wheel carrier and possibly give you more room to maneuver the axle or just remove it all together,

Quick Reply: LSD buster