Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Braille batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Braille batteries

So, Porsche's optional lithium battery is $1700 and the Braille is about $250 from Suncoast. The weight savings are close and you would have your stock Porsche battery.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Braille?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd been using my 12 lbs. Braille battery for 10 months, I always keep it connected to my Porche's battery conditioner, no problems so far.
My car sees very little use beside track use, I expect this battery can last like this for 3-4 more months. Yes you have to be careful not to leave a door open or a parking light on, since it will get discharged very fast (happened to me a couple of times but after a jump every thing was OK.) With $1700 you can buy 3 Braille batteries ant save $1000.00!!

If your car is going to be used as a DD them that's another story, I won't recommend it!, but also in that case a lightweight battery makes no sense.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gus F
I'd been using my 12 lbs. Braille battery for 10 months, I always keep it connected to my Porche's battery conditioner, no problems so far.
My car sees very little use beside track use, I expect this battery can last like this for 3-4 more months. Yes you have to be careful not to leave a door open or a parking light on, since it will get discharged very fast (happened to me a couple of times but after a jump every thing was OK.) With $1700 you can buy 3 Braille batteries ant save $1000.00!!

If your car is going to be used as a DD them that's another story, I won't recommend it!, but also in that case a lightweight battery makes no sense.
Was it hard to mount it in the same location?

What is the longest you think the car can sit without needing a charge?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus F

Suncoast is advertising one @ $250 as an all season dd battery.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

This last summer I had left the car sitting for a month with out problems (connected to the porsche battery conditioner).
I used the Rennline mount kit, not sure model but you can contact them:

Questions and sales support:
orders@rennline.com
32 Catamount Dr.
Milton, VT 05468
PH: 802.893.7366
F: 802.893.7311

Originally Posted by 911dev
Suncoast is advertising one @ $250 as an all season dd battery.
Yes maybe can work as an all season DD, but for how long? I don't think it would be safe, I try to minimize the battery use (I don't even turn the car off when refueling for gas).
Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

Deka makes the Braille battery. I have been using the Braille battery for ~2 years. When ever the car is not in use I have it attached the a trickle charger. SPI fabricated a custom mount.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkozink
Deka makes the Braille battery. I have been using the Braille battery for ~2 years. When ever the car is not in use I have it attached the a trickle charger. SPI fabricated a custom mount.

Yes, I now remember that one is the mount kit i used. Two years, wow!! that is good news for me!!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice find. I will be getting this battery soon ... it will be the 6 lbs racing battery. I don't think I need the carbon fiber case lol. The regular 6 lbs version cost $175. How much does the OEM battery weigh?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Nice find. I will be getting this battery soon ... it will be the 6 lbs racing battery. I don't think I need the carbon fiber case lol. The regular 6 lbs version cost $175. How much does the OEM battery weigh?

The carbon fiber Braille version weighs the same, it is just for show (basically some thin CF paneling glued on top of the regular one. They are the same as Deka, supposedly, and the Deka versions maybe another 30% or so cheaper. The stock battery I just weighed at 42.8 lbs. I personally use the Odessey PC680 with the aluminum mounting kit from Rennline; I also added the disconnect switch which can be attached to a cable so it is accessible at the top of the hood. I believe my PC680 comes in around 18-20 lbs. I seem to remember saving 22 lbs with my battery and the mounting kit and switch.

I have used the Braille 12 lb version in my Lotus cars and it was borderline; you really had to charge it if you leave the car sitting more than a day or two. The 6 lb one I would not recommend except for track use. Go with the Odessey or at least a 15 lb Braille battery. Either one will match or exceed Porsche's overpriced unit. Also, I use my PC680 during winter.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

I am not certain but I believe the Deka ETX14 is the OE version of the Braille battery. There are a number of versions of this battery to choose from as the attached pdf indicates.

This has all been discussed before in the VW Vortex forums (and many others to be sure). East Penn is the manufacturer.

Shop around locally but you can probably find one for around $70-$80.00.

The main caveat is to keep a trickle charger on it when not in use.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an Odyssey PC680 (with a battery kill switch) in my Miura S. The PC680 weighs about 14 pounds.
We also had an Odyssey PC925 (since 'upgraded' to a PC1200) in the wife's Dino, also with a kill switch.

The old cars don't have a lot of electric accessories and the Odysseys work great (at least in SoCal) as long as they are either regularly driven (50-ish miles in a two week period seem to be enough) or the battery kill switch is turned off... until you have an electrical issue. The smaller/lighter ones have virtually no reserve, so if you suffer an alternator problem, and you're driving at night you can easily find yourself on the side of the road waiting to AAA - as my wife did 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by stevecolletti; 12-16-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 2 crap out on me on the P racecar. They replaced one of them. Worth the effort on a racecar...not on a street car IMO. MUST keep them charged.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: Braille batteries