Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I like Porsche people

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's all about what or who you identify with.

For some, it's all about "me" - the vehicle is a reflection of themselves, and they're not interested in waving at anybody.

For others, it's all about "us", which splits into two groups - the inclusive and the exclusive.
The exclusive will wave only at their "sub-society" - because they are somehow superior.

The inclusive will wave at anybody who appears to love cars and be as interested in someone elses car as their own.
Stereotypes, yes, but in my experience, BMW owners are more likely to fall into the "me" category. Any criticism of their car is taken as criticism of themselves - they're a very defensive bunch. Porsche owners fall into all 3 (yes, we have our snobs too). Repeat owners perhaps lean towards the inclusive, whereas first-time owners of late generation models lean towards the exclusive?

I also think that within the Porsche line-up, more variety and subtle nuances across model years creates a more interesting topic for those in the "us" category - we congregate out of interest in the details of each vehicle. Over the same period, BMW's just seem to have less interesting design and engineering artifacts around which interest in someone else's BMW is fostered, and therefore attract more of the "me" types based on its value to them as a status symbol.

The ego is a complex beast, however... Anyone here fanatical about Volkswagons? Anyone? Anyone?

So anyway, msw3 was just a lost "us"-type, wandering around in the land of "me". Lucky for him, he has finally found "us".
Welcome to RL, msw3, you will also find many BMW owners here who are not snobs and love cars of all kinds.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you wave at Cayennes? I am guilty of not doing it
Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by volpenyc
Do you wave at Cayennes? I am guilty of not doing it
Only the Cayenne GTS's. They sit low enough for me to be able to see the driver, but the others do not!

Which reminds me... I need to get a bumper sticker for my Chevy Avalanche:

"Porsche Tow Vehicle. It's OK to wave"

Quick Reply: I like Porsche people