Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

6GT3 better than 7 (gen1 and 2) GT3/RS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The 996 GT3 is a HUGE bargain. Just because its a bit twitchy doent mean its not a great car
in the hands of a good driver. what I like about it is I was getting a big head about my driving and the 996 GT3 QUICKLY put me back on earth. It showed me how much I didnt know about driving and the 911.

The 9A1 motor is very impressive. Being a GT3 guy since they were available in the US I was determined I would only have the TT or a GT3. But when I drove the C2S 3.8L with PDK I was so blown away by the car, I quickly put it on the list. Then when you consider the price,
it was at that point a no brainer. After driving the 996 997 GT3's the C2S was so close in performance
in my mind the price difference of $30K to a 997.2 GT3 and the RS $40K difference was too much.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I luv GT3's, all of them.

I think the several versions available are just about perfect for the several versions of drivers/owners we have here.

I personally choose to keep my '04 for many reasons but the most important reason to me is indeed the uninhibited knifes edge sharpness from the chassis in comparison with nearly every car I have ever track driven. I have life long memories in this car of drives that will never be equaled. I remember years ago when the 997RS came out I was invited to attend a track day at Autobahn raceway. Several of the members had brought their new 997 iron. We all marveled at them in both "standard" and RS trim. The gents had even asked a few pro racers (who were to be at Road America that next weekend for IMSA or Speed Vision or Grand Am) to come show them the nuances of the newer chassis . It was glorious watching the owners and then the pros drive these new cars. Everybody enjoyed it.

Then I had to go out and get in a few laps in mine...

Passing the owner/drivers was not much of a problem. Admittedly they were all getting use to their new mounts. I gave quite a few of them reminders that the 6 GT3 was still a force to be reckoned with ******* & passing whenever I had the opportunity. It was great fun for me, and made for great conversation after each session. Then I went out while the Pros were instructing these owners...

I got in with a gaggle of 7 GT3's (including RS versions) all pro driven. We got our cars up to speed slowly within the first lap. Then without notice all of these guys seemed like they flipped a switch and they got into the power like mad-men. I was taken by surprise but went 100% that second. The following 30 or so minutes were the most difficult mind bending extreme workout laps I have every put forth effort to do. I worked the wheel & the throttle and the brake pedal as hard as my abilities would allow. I did EVERYTHING in my power to close the gap or hold off the 997's that surrounded me. Using my comfort in my own car as an advantage I worked every inch of the pavement. I could hear the pros banging rev limiters and downshifting well into red-line to hold me off or gain an inch on me. We all drove bumper to bumper wheel to wheel in formation lap after lap. My muscles were burning, my brow was sweating, I was as mad as hell that I could not get around these guys and they were working like mad to toss me off into the weeds.

But the formation remained the same.

I came in at the end of the session and found I was in a pool of sweat. The other drivers & I broke for lunch and poked fun at each other for an hour. Several of them afterwards went to see what the 6 GT3 had for tires (MPSC) then commented that I was really having to work to keep up. I agreed but said to all "that was my favorite part."

And that has stuck with me ever since. And it probably always will.

Its 6 GT3 for me. Hard to drive? Hell yes.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet!!! Thanks for the inspiration. I'd like to get there some day.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

The LVDell SY Special
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

MichaelB, great post!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The 997.1 RS (and GT3) failed to get me out of my 996 RS. The 997 is definitely a friendlier road car but in terms of driving purity and raw fun I think the 996 wins.
+1
Old 12-10-2009, 02:42 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice story Mike. The 996 was a beast. And with the Manthey 410 kit on mine it was even more of a beast!!
it looked just like yours.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
leif did you not read my Even after alignment? I dont disagree with your comment about the car being great, But I had it aligned by laser at a race shop specializing in GT3s and race cars. On the way back home it hunted on the freeway. I had tracked my TT and it was more stable after RS sways dropouts and PSS9s(the 996 GT3 was more fun though). I had the chance to compare the cars(993TT,996GT3 and the 997 GT3) on the same tracks in the same configuration. One thing that sticks in my mind is Cotton corners at Buttonwillow in configuration 13. Three corners in a row, with the last being off camber.
On a typical day (sunny in the fall) I spun the 996 GT3 three times in the same spot. I never spun the TT or the 997 in that spot. So while your complaint might be valid in some cases, not so in mine.
Maybe if you were on the west coast and could talk to us left coasters you would have a better idea of what happened. I wasnt the only one who complained about this at the track. I have alot of tracks with in my one day range. Willow Springs is just 50 miles away, buttonwillow, Fontana (which was my favorite) Leguna Seca Thunderhill, Reno Sparks raceway (where I debuted the 996 Manthey GT3)Infineon.
Youre trying to say that I dont have the experience to say what I said. However i had been to the track with my TT and spent alot of money to get it track worthy. Thats when the GT3 came along. I have even driven a 2WD version of the 993 TT(and many more race prepped 911s including a full race prepped 70 911 with carbs. Under the tutelage of Viper Bob
I got alot of track knowledge. I also participated with Vintage Auto Racing Association (where I got to drive a race prepped 914) I didnt drive one but I have been in a 996 Cup at willow springs.

Maybe youre thinking of someone in Iowa.
Hey now.....don't be doggin' on the Hawkeye state! The Hawks had a better season than USC, and our state isn't broke! j/k. I'm still looking for my 997 gt silver gt3 -- either new or like the one in your picture. Love this forum!

Quick Reply: 6GT3 better than 7 (gen1 and 2) GT3/RS?