Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PSDS 3 Day Masters Plus course

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for these schools you have to use their cars.
Correct.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Brian for the video and update.

Your car looks great.

I've run one of my DE this year at the NJMP without the cones and it is a true learning experience.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
Here is the "Double Hat"

One more thing of the 11 attending 4 or 5 were repeat attendees for the Masters Plus...I think that that says something
Ha! Too funny! Thanks for posting.

You MUST use their cars. Under no circumstance can you get your car on the track, or even go past the gates. MJones's car was essentially on static display for the students to peruse. I mean, who doesn't want a beautiful red GT3 to look at before/after turning fast laps?? There were 4 or 5 students that owned '10 GT3's which is pretty cool.

If you have any curiousity at all about what it would be like to drive a Porsche to its limits, then PSDS is the way to go. Bring your good attitude and willingness to learn and you will leave a much (much, much much) better driver.

Here is a video of me on my first day in an open session trying to chase down Dave (7th PSDS visit) who was very fast. After 3-4 laps of pursuit (which I personally enjoy the heck out of) an instructor motioned to allow more separation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecmmTDZJzI

I love the challenge of improving every little thing to gain an advantage. You see the instructors positioned in their vehicles (Cayennes) to observe and note feedback for the debriefs.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

MJones, that is the cleanest car I've seen after driving across the country...especially is a rainstorm and dust storm.

I've got to get back to do another PSDS again....like you always say they are the best and there is so much to learn from the absolutly best instructors in the world!

Mike Carter
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Anyone interested doing a Rennlist Masters Plus in March or April???
Thanks for sharing!

I almost booked for this one but could not make it because of work. I'd definitely be interested in March April.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Great post Brian. You are truly one member on this board who unequivocally drives their car to the fullest. I just can't believe that you've driven across country again. Despite that your car looks awesome and should encourage more of us not only to do more DE events but to simply get out there and drive. Have a great Holiday my friend. One last question any feedback on those who drove the PDK? Did they like it, was it better than expected?

Jay
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJ23
One last question any feedback on those who drove the PDK? Did they like it, was it better than expected?
Thier PDK's are "locked" in normal mode. No Sport or Sport Plus setting is possible. Nevertheless, they are fantastic. Especially if you want to break from shifting and focus on other aspects of driving.

Personally I find the often criticized steering wheel shift buttons to be perfectly located and ergonomically correct.

Your choice to use manual mode or let the PDK shift as it likes. The PDK cars are also S's, so are noticibly faster and in capable hands will spank the crap out of the 6 speed cars. But- are also therefore much easier to get loose if you are not smooth with your control inputs. Also firmer suspensions and the 19" wheels on the PDK cars.

They will rotate you through both unless you simply can't drive a 6 speed. Drive both and enjoy their respective charecteristics.

Last edited by savyboy; 12-06-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Thier PDK's are "locked" in normal mode. No Sport or Sport Plus setting is possible. Nevertheless, they is fantastic. Especially if you want to break from shifting and focus on other aspects of driving.

Personally I find the often criticized steering wheel shift buttons to be perfectly located and ergonomically correct.

Your choice to use manual mode or let the PDK shift as it likes. The PDK cars are also S's, so are noticibly faster and in capable hands will spank the crap out of the 6 speed cars. But- are also therefore much easier to get loose if you are not smooth with your control inputs. Also firmer suspensions and the 19" wheels on the PDK cars.

They will rotate you through both unless you simply can't drive a 6 speed. Drive both and enjoy their respective charecteristics.
Thanks for reply. Can't wait to try it out on the new Turbo.

Jay
Old 12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is that Renee Villenueve instructing in the turbo?

Phil
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Savyboy posted

Thier PDK's are "locked" in normal mode. No Sport or Sport Plus setting is possible. Nevertheless, they is fantastic. Especially if you want to break from shifting and focus on other aspects of driving.

SO you guys got to drive a C2S with PDK?

Thats what happened to me. After one TT and two GT3s I was going to buy a 08 RS or a 08 TT. But when I went and test drove the PDK I was just blown away. It was just so much fun, and then when you looked at the performance level AT PRICE there was almost no reason go spend $40-$60K more for the other options I was looking at. Would I like a 2010 RS? YOU BET. But at this point in my life I just dont know that I could afford the money I spent on the 07 GT3. The C2S PDK is by a LARGE margin better than any other Carrera I have ever driven. (NON GT or TT)
Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJ23
Thanks for reply. Can't wait to try it out on the new Turbo.

Jay
Not sure of your post meaning but let me mention you will not be on the track in a Turbo unless in a lead/follow session. You will not be running free in a Turbo. Trust me- lead/follow is as fast as you (and your skill) are capable of.

Only Carrera and Carrera S PDK are you allowed out on your own in the Masters Plus class, and last session of Masters. For your own good/safety

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Savyboy posted

SO you guys got to drive a C2S with PDK?
Autocross portion is either Cayman or Boxster S with PDK (never Carreras). Extreme fun.

Skidpad is always Carrera w/PDK.

Track is either
a. Carrera 6 speed
b. CarreraS PDK or
c. Turbo in lead/follow.

You will be rotated through the cars, Turbo is always optional, you are allowed to decline.

Here is the PSDS link: http://www.porschedriving.com/Sports-Driving.aspx

The instructors run the show with precision. I would urge and recommend, just arrive with open mind and let the experience unfold as they have planned it. You will have the time of your life.

Owen Trinkler was driving MJones in the Turbo video. Our instructors for this class were:

Hurley Haywood
Jeff Purner
Cass Whitehead
Andre Davis
Daniel Eastman
Eric Foss
Brian Cunningham

and of course - Owen Trinkler

All superb.

Nice ratio for 11 students!

PS- JB Haller always runs the "pits" and is AWESOME! Splash 'em JB! You are the man.

Last edited by savyboy; 12-06-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add Owen and JB
Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

... Personally I find the often criticized steering wheel shift buttons to be perfectly located and ergonomically correct.
Absolutely. This will turn out to be another Beta/VHS fiasco.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Brian: Is the guy on the left Tiger?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
Brian: Is the guy on the left Tiger?
I know I am hogging Brian's thread...lol but that is Dave and a very fast fellow!

Tiger was out recovering from having his wife beat his ***..haha

Brian will surely pop in and add more to the thread once he gets off the road.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I know I am hogging Brian's thread...lol but that is Dave and a very fast fellow!

Tiger was out recovering from having his wife beat his ***..haha

Brian will surely pop in and add more to the thread once he gets off the road.
But... doesn't that fellow resemble Tiger?

Quick Reply: PSDS 3 Day Masters Plus course