Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Should I buy 07 RS...with engine repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So....10-15k under typical street price? 100 ish sound right? (13k mi, no PCB, full leather, carbon stuff, stitching, xenons, etc)
Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

My '07 GT3 engine was rebuilt twice: first because of a bad crankcase leak, then because the first rebuilt was poorly done and a gasket was not sealed properly, causing the cylinder exhaust gasses to leak into the coolant system (not good!).

I spent hours talking to Porsche technical guys about it, as I was arguing that they should give me a new engine. Their argument was that, if done properly (and they were going to make sure that the second rebuilt was perfect), there would be absolutely no difference in engine performance and longevity. GT3 Cup engines are rebuilt frequently over their lifetime for various reasons without any effect on performance, from what I was told by someone who managed the GT3 Cup Asia races for 3 years in hot / humid / very demanding environments.

I took their advice (and a 2-year complimentary warranty extension) and my engine has been perfect ever since.

Bottom line: if you can get assurances that the engine rebuilt has been done by Porsche and if they stand by it by giving you extended warranty, you can buy the car without worry.

And enjoy it the way it should be ;-)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They didn't rebuild my 07...the sent another engine in from Germany and took mine for testing. Better route for the car I think. If it's done right, I wouldn't worry. Keep it under warranty and run the snot out of it. Depends on the price though. Def agreee with others here on a discount. The market will be smaller on this car regardless. Some buyers won't touch a car that has had a replacement/rebuilt engine or tranny.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

All points well taken, thanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:34 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
So....10-15k under typical street price? 100 ish sound right? (13k mi, no PCB, full leather, carbon stuff, stitching, xenons, etc)
I don't think typical asking prices are working now. Still in recession, winter time, and new RS available. I think sales price for the car you are talking about is $9X,000 something.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM
mental dental
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the engine on my RS rebuilt after oil leak proved to be from joint in crankcase. (After 2 RMS replacements!) Under warranty so had to be done by local porsche centre. In UK best techs often set up on their own or work for an independant. Luckily local dealership had tech who has worked for carrera cup teams, so knows the engines well.

Got car back on a Saturday morning. 170mile drive later that day for trip to North Yorkshire for weekend of driving including a trackday on the Monday. Car behaved impeccably.

In summary....why was the engine rebuilt and who did the work?

And any question over a car's history is a good reason to start haggling!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

that car is worth $100-105k

so a cool 100 grand would make you a happy owner with no worries as long as rebuild was done right. Couple thousand miles or so should prove it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

90-95k max, too many other good examples on the market without stories. Buyers market right now.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

89 is the price...not a steal, but perhaps "safe" enough to hedge against the next wave of depreciation. As long as all the details check out. Lowest price I've seen so far. A friends lease pay-off.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

89 is the price...not a steal, but perhaps "safe" enough to hedge against the next wave of depreciation. As long as all the details check out. Lowest price I've seen so far. A friends lease pay-off.

Fo 89k you should grab it! there is also a poster here on Rennlist that may be selling their clubsport package which would complete the car.

Since no RS examples are below 100k on the used market, you will be safe for another year. I dont see many RS examples going below 100k next year.

remember, with the warranty work already done, the only difference between your car and somebody else is that they havent possibly detected/corrected their problem yet
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

That sounds pretty close to a steal as long as everything is legit and there is no "other story"
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like a pretty easy decision. Even if it needs a SW 3.9, you're only in it for $114K.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that's a steal. I would check the car out carefully for repairs and heavy track wear. Just seems a little too good even with the engine rebuilt. Heck, if you don't want it, send me the lead. I would take a strong look at it for that price. Then trade it on the new one.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

I know all the history, not lots of track, but a little. After tax and lic. close to 100. Should hold up for at least a year, then hopefully slower depreciation from there out if I decide to keep her longer or FOREVER.

I did think about the SW 3.9! but how do SW cars hold value? Would only do that if I keep it forever I suppose.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did think about the SW 3.9! but how do SW cars hold value? Would only do that if I keep it forever I suppose.
If I had to break the engine open at all, I'd be doing SW 3.9. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

To my mind your position with that car is perfect. If everything is alright, you got the cheapest RS we're likely to see for a while. If not, you get a new 3.9 in your almost new RS for less than most originally paid for the car - even in the aftermarket. Sounds like a can't lose to me.

Quick Reply: Should I buy 07 RS...with engine repair?