Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brake pads for 380 mm Cup rotors for GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Brake pads for 380 mm Cup rotors for GT3 RS?

Hey Guys

Need some help on finding the right brake pads for the 380 mm front cup steel rotor for my RS. I am doing a PCCB to steel rotors swap. I got some Pagid RS29 pads - it fits the PCCB but too large for the Cup rotor where it touches the hat as shown below. The Cup steel rotor uses a larger hat than PCCB

For those of you that have gone PCCB to Cup rotors route. What kinds of brake pads did you use .... or did you machine down the RS29 pads to fit??

RS29 pad on PCCB - plenty of space between the inner edge of the pad and the hat

RS29 pad on steel Cup rotor - no space between the inner edge of the pad and the hat

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- thanks for doing this
- this will happen to me hopefully next season (i.e. more trackdays ahead)

- stupid question, when mounted does the pad touch the hat?

- P50 pads are the same shape as the stock ceramic pads so this clearly doesn't help (i.e. I hope you don't have to change the calipers to work with this different hat)

- what is the current price of cup rotors? - and hats?

thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from OEM steel to the Brembo replacement for GT3's, I was not able to find Cup Car rotors for 997 GT3, where did you find yours?
I'm using Endless pads they have 7 track days and probably they will last some 4-5 more days.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- thanks for doing this
- this will happen to me hopefully next season (i.e. more trackdays ahead)

- stupid question, when mounted does the pad touch the hat?

- P50 pads are the same shape as the stock ceramic pads so this clearly doesn't help (i.e. I hope you don't have to change the calipers to work with this different hat)

- what is the current price of cup rotors? - and hats?

thanks
Originally Posted by Gus F
I went from OEM steel to the Brembo replacement for GT3's, I was not able to find Cup Car rotors for 997 GT3, where did you find yours?
I'm using Endless pads they have 7 track days and probably they will last some 4-5 more days.
Hey Paul

Sorry I did not reply back to your e-mail couple weeks ago and thanks for helping me out with some LSD question. I rebuild my OEM LSD and all is good

Here is the link of my LSD write up on 6speed: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...sd-buster.html

Back to your question. I just found out Pagid makes a direct fit RS29 pads for Cup rotor and the parts number is 8004 29 with a description of "scalloped 2707 in 19mm" which will not touch the Cup rotor hat and also fit the stock caliper. This was conformed with Craig at Rennstore and also TRG. and yes, the 2707 R29 pads will work for PCCB but sit on top of Cup rotor hat - it does not fit

Here is the diagram of the 8004 29 pad

I got my Cup rotor from Porsche motorsport and they asked me to tell everyone it is not meant to be used on street - but track only. The set of front Cup rotors cost about $2500 - $2800 depends on where you source the parts. I will PM more on this

Gus, couple vendor carry the Cup rotors including Porsche motorsport. I will do another detail post once the bad boys are installed
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikymu
it is not meant to be used on street - but track only.
Why?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _rocket
Why?
Motorsports parts are rated in hours of race and not miles. GT3 Cup car parts are often not a direct fit requiring modification such as what I am going through now. This is why they are not market for street
Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by _rocket
Why?
Liability. Motorsport parts are intended for track use only. It even applies to the famous Cup spoiler lip.

Mike, so it is as easy as to run 997 GT3 Cup rotors and pads with your stock 997 GT3 RS PCCB calipers.

Pads come on different shapes even for the same application of rotor and calipers. The stock Porsche pads have different shape than the aftermarket RS29.

You should test fit the stock pads (P90) with the Cup rotors.

Thanks for sharing, this is very helpful for 997 GT3/RS/GT2 owners wishing to swap to iron rotors for track use.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey howdy hello -

Yep, have these pads ready to roll - specifically made for Cup rotors -
Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Liability.
You mean they're not Dot or Tuv approved?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Liability. Motorsport parts are intended for track use only. It even applies to the famous Cup spoiler lip.

Mike, so it is as easy as to run 997 GT3 Cup rotors and pads with your stock 997 GT3 RS PCCB calipers.

Pads come on different shapes even for the same application of rotor and calipers. The stock Porsche pads have different shape than the aftermarket RS29.

You should test fit the stock pads (P90) with the Cup rotors.

Thanks for sharing, this is very helpful for 997 GT3/RS/GT2 owners wishing to swap to iron rotors for track use.
You are welcome Rad and thanks for the detail PM on PCCB to steel rotors swap. I just got done with the swap ... and it's freaking 4 AM!! lol

I will post a detail DIY once I get some sleep to thanks all of you that helped in this mod

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Hey howdy hello -

Yep, have these pads ready to roll - specifically made for Cup rotors -
Hey Craig, thanks for all the help and excellent price on parts. Sorry it took me 8 months to get started on this project lol. Have a good Thanksgiving

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure. We talked extensively on the phone about these, ready to order or??
Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIKYMU I had the same issue when going from ceramics to Brembo short annulus rotors on my GT2. The easy solution is to machine the pad so it will clear the hat. Brembo does this for RS19 pads but charges a fair amount for the pads. I got mine through Sharkwerks so you might want to give Alex a call.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gus F
Gus, which Endless pad are you using and how do you like them? I'm thinking of trying something different after using Pagid for so many years (should have bought shares in Pagid!). Thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake pads for 380 mm Cup rotors for GT3 RS?