Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgarter
If this is easily repeatable it may be easier to convince Bosch to pay someone a visit. We should try to determine who can most consistently repeat the problem and put them in touch with Bosch. I'll try to find an appropriate contact.

Also, when you say transition speed, let's try to determine precisely what that means. Is it:
1. The rate at which the throttle is closed?
2. The speed that your foot moves from WOT to the brake or the time from foot on throttle to foot on brake?
3. Or, the rate or force with which you apply the brakes?

If 1 or 2 then I'm stumped. If you all think that this is #3 then we can talk about that.

-Noah
I'm guessing it's all of the above or full throttle followed by fast as possible hard/jab style braking resulting from the drivers effort to condense a short brake zone or brake deeper in a longer brake zone which could mean it can be duplicated in any car w/ the same brake system and it's the driver that's making the real difference.

I can only hope this doesn't happen with smooth controlled braking or during normal high speed driving when you aren't reaching for the absolute maximum brake effort/potential.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman
The mode is "seemingly" triggered when I transistion very quickly from full throttle to hard brake. Agreed, my transistion isn't happening in 5ms but the faster I transition the more likely the symptom occurs.
This is a very interesting observation and consistent with my experiences. I'll experiment more with this the next time I'm out at Harris Hill Road.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgarter
I'll try to find an appropriate contact.
That would be great!

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
full throttle followed by fast as possible hard/jab style braking resulting from the drivers effort to condense a short brake zone
^This best describes it. Looking to scrub speed with initial brake pressure and immediately back off to maximize traction and not engage ABS.

I'd like to think that the initial brake is not a violent jab but a QUICK and hard squeeze . In the instance of ICE MODE I sense limited brake pressure almost immediately; as if the error has occured before I have a chance to squeeze hard. I found that I can apply a hard squeeze, without a problem, if I come off the gas a "fraction" of a second slower. That's why it leads me to believe there's something to the transition from WOT but I maybe totally off base.

Sorry there's not a lot of science here....just feel which can be misleading.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 392 Likes on 269 Posts

I've also experienced "ice mode"on several occasions. It's happened in both in a Gen 2 Cayman S and 997 GT2. The mode is "seemingly" triggered when I transistion very quickly from full throttle to hard brake. Agreed, my transistion isn't happening in 5ms but the faster I transition the more likely the symptom occurs. I've tried to find other commonalities such as uneven road surface but the only constant has been transistion speed. ...
Those conditions - quickly from full throttle to hard brake - is supposed to pre-apply braking on current gen cars... perhaps there's something wrong with that.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget
This is a very interesting observation and consistent with my experiences. I'll experiment more with this the next time I'm out at Harris Hill Road.
I've tried, only twice, to replicate it but haven't been able to intentionally. It's tough to fake it.

Funny how much faster your feet move when you're really deep into a brake zone and still under full throttle

Originally Posted by ADias
is supposed to pre-apply braking on current gen cars... perhaps there's something wrong with that.
Could be....some type of error in the pre loading causing a freeze/limitation in the allowable brake pressure.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

^This best describes it. Looking to scrub speed with initial brake pressure and immediately back off to maximize traction and not engage ABS.

I'd like to think that the initial brake is not a violent jab but a QUICK and hard squeeze . In the instance of ICE MODE I sense limited brake pressure almost immediately; as if the error has occured before I have a chance to squeeze hard. I found that I can apply a hard squeeze, without a problem, if I come off the gas a "fraction" of a second slower. That's why it leads me to believe there's something to the transition from WOT but I maybe totally off base.
+1 Same here. I got it in my MKI GT3 between T3 and T4 at Sebring, but never had in it MKIIRS
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish some folks would index their tires to wheels so we can see if tire slip has anything to do with this problem.

I have marked mine and they always spin on the rim. Hard to stop well when the wheels lock up and the tires keep on spinning.

dr
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is hard to believe that tire slip on all four wheels could occur for the length of time the ice mode occurs.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've also experienced "ice mode"on several occasions. It's happened in both in a Gen 2 Cayman S and 997 GT2.
Woww, I did not know you got this on the GT2 as well, with PCCB and Irons experiencing this, I'd say the issue is narrowing down to software more likely.

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'm guessing it's all of the above or full throttle followed by fast as possible hard/jab style braking resulting from the drivers effort to condense a short brake zone or brake deeper in a longer brake zone which could mean it can be duplicated in any car w/ the same brake system and it's the driver that's making the real difference.

I can only hope this doesn't happen with smooth controlled braking or during normal high speed driving when you aren't reaching for the absolute maximum brake effort/potential.
I have never experienced this in the 6 years I've been driving Porsches, Cayman and now the GT3, and I hope I never will. But as a reference point, I also never been a hard jabber on the brakes either. Looking at my data, consistently the time it takes me to go from gas to brake pedal at T1 of VIR is between 0.38 to 0.42 secs. I am not sure why that long. At T14 it is consistently between 0.2 to 0.24 secs. After I get on the brakes, the slope for LongG trace is pretty steep, steeper for T14 again, registering -1.65 to -1.75 Gs. I don't know if this helps anyone, but there it is.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

I appreciate any thoughts or insight.
Brake sooner, pray harder ..or is the other way around ... Brake harder, pray sooner
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Brake later, pray harder...?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Woww, I did not know you got this on the GT2 as well, with PCCB and Irons experiencing this, I'd say the issue is narrowing down to software more likely.
Just once in Turn 1 at VIR. Was coming in deep, quick move to the brake and nada. Quick off and on and made it. Having had the experience in the Cayman a few times I reconginized it right away.

Originally Posted by rmag
Brake sooner
Huh? Are you not feeling well today? Must be on some meds....
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just once in Turn 1 at VIR. Was coming in deep, quick move to the brake and nada. Quick off and on and made it. Having had the experience in the Cayman a few times I reconginized it right away.
Were you on Hohos or R888s?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I can figure from this thread and others is that this is a standard issue w/ ABS systems in all makes of cars.

I you move VERY FAST from full gas to FULL BRAKE abrupt braking (not smooth) you will engage some sort of glitch that causes a hard high pedal with very little pressure if any. Tire make or size doesn't matter. This is especially troubling for lotus owners because the car is very light weight and doesn't make tons of power so similar to braking in say a spec miata you are challenged with braking incredibly late with a super fast move from full gas to full brake.

This has nothing to do with tires moving on the rims which is from starting with a very low tires pressure (i start as 22 psi) and probably happens only on the first couple of laps before the tire pressures come up over 30 psi.

Quick Reply: well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...