997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM
SeriousB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gone through this thread to figure out what the hell you guys are talking about. The notion of the "ice mode" concept had me thinking in another direction initially.

I think it's purely a mechanical issue and one that most production-based cars have. I've experienced this thousands of times and it's never been an issue.

On my race team, we call it "knock back" and that refers to the brake pads getting "knocked back" towards the outside of caliper, away from the rotor. On track, each wheel is subjected to extreme forces, from cornering loads to bumps, beyond any OE specification and the rotor will actually deflect, moving the pad and forcing the fluid back into the system. With all the lines, tubing, valves and the booster, pressure in the system can build up anywhere and can result in a hard pedal.

To remedy this, I often tap the brake pedal with my left foot to help the system equalize the pressure. Simple as that!

(Yes, I also do this to build pressure in the system when my pedal starts to go soft, but that's the subject of another thread.)
Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriousB
I've just gone through this thread to figure out what the hell you guys are talking about. The notion of the "ice mode" concept had me thinking in another direction initially.

I think it's purely a mechanical issue and one that most production-based cars have. I've experienced this thousands of times and it's never been an issue.

On my race team, we call it "knock back" and that refers to the brake pads getting "knocked back" towards the outside of caliper, away from the rotor. On track, each wheel is subjected to extreme forces, from cornering loads to bumps, beyond any OE specification and the rotor will actually deflect, moving the pad and forcing the fluid back into the system. With all the lines, tubing, valves and the booster, pressure in the system can build up anywhere and can result in a hard pedal.

To remedy this, I often tap the brake pedal with my left foot to help the system equalize the pressure. Simple as that!

(Yes, I also do this to build pressure in the system when my pedal starts to go soft, but that's the subject of another thread.)
WHAT?

Knock back is usually caused by a thin pad knocking the piston all the way in followed by a very low pedal because of the fluid that's required to now push the knocked in pad back out. When you tap up the pedal you're creating a firm pedal if it was already firm you wouldn't bother.

The ICE thing going on has nothing to do with knock back.

I always tap up a bit for both a high pedal to assist in heel toe and also for a quicker brake pedal etc......

See vid: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriousB

Knock-back becomes an issue on long straights or anywhere the car goes a long time without any braking. Ice pedal is not related to knock-back specifically, but it could still be a matter of things like enormous single piece front pads, or the leading edge wear of those large pads resulting in a momentary failure in some electronic system or sensor value, etc. Maybe pressure in the caliper itself as six pistons move around (the leading edge pistons moving a lot further than the trailing edge pistons) is misleading the electronics.

I can "induce" ice pedal at a point on the track immediately after a high speed downhill, hard braking sequence, so it's not knock-back.

As you say, it's a complex mechanical system and now a much more complex electronic system. Whatever the root cause, the brakes don't work. I find that ... disappointing.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say as a new 997.1 GT3 owner, all these stories about the "ice mode" has me spooked. I've run drivers ed events for the last 12 years in my Carrera, 930 turbo and now my SC track prepared cars. I just bought my new to me GT3, looking forward to my first event in the new car. One of your worst fears is coming to the end of a high speed straight and thinking your brakes might not work. The last thing I want is an off, or worse yet, an off and a smack, in my new car just because of no brakes. It certainly has me concerned after following others experiences and concerns. It sounds like there are things that can be done to possibly reduce the situation, but something I don't look forward to.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

anyone experience this on a 6 3 on steels?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^not yet and hope it never happens. Mike
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Too bad we couldn't add this to Signore Savy's list of questions for Herr Preuninger...
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I have to say as a new 997.1 GT3 owner, all these stories about the "ice mode" has me spooked. I've run drivers ed events for the last 12 years in my Carrera, 930 turbo and now my SC track prepared cars. I just bought my new to me GT3, looking forward to my first event in the new car. One of your worst fears is coming to the end of a high speed straight and thinking your brakes might not work. The last thing I want is an off, or worse yet, an off and a smack, in my new car just because of no brakes. It certainly has me concerned after following others experiences and concerns. It sounds like there are things that can be done to possibly reduce the situation, but something I don't look forward to.
I see no cause to be spooked, just forewarned and prepared -- do some practice "re-braking" to get your braking foot ready and willing, should it ever be called upon.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I agree. This is not something one should be the least bit concerned about in a 100k plus car built for track use. Once again just like the coolant lines the folks at Porsche may have some explaining to do if something bad happens to someone on the street and I'll repeat hopefully those that have experienced these problems are complaining to Porsche or some other authority that may have the power to force Porsche to put out a TSB to fix this stuff because from what I can tell these are serious issues that should not be remedied by putting water wetter in your car and training yourself to calmly re brake when entering a corner at 150 plus mph. Neither of those solutions are solutions or fixes they are just prayers in the dark.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I agree. This is not something one should be the least bit concerned about in a 100k plus car built for track use. Once again just like the coolant lines the folks at Porsche may have some explaining to do if something bad happens to someone on the street and I'll repeat hopefully those that have experienced these problems are complaining to Porsche or some other authority that may have the power to force Porsche to put out a TSB to fix this stuff because from what I can tell these are serious issues that should not be remedied by putting water wetter in your car and training yourself to calmly re brake when entering a corner at 150 plus mph. Neither of those solutions are solutions or fixes they are just prayers in the dark.
If you can't stay calm at 150mph in the event of something going wrong you probably shouldn't be going that fast....

Just because these cars can offer this kind of performance hardly means the drivers have the skill to handle it. Food for thought.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yeah, but luck plays a role as well.
depends where it happens.
t17 at sebring at 140mph with walls straight ahead in the run-off are unforgiving.
even to pro drivers as proven recently.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
yeah, but luck plays a role as well.
depends where it happens.
t17 at sebring at 140mph with walls straight ahead in the run-off are unforgiving.
even to pro drivers as proven recently.
No question. Best drivers in the world ball them up all the time...that's driving at the limit.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

exactly. so one less known, documented, avoidable, design-trait problem in these track-biased cars would be nice!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
exactly. so one less known, documented, avoidable, design-trait problem in these track-biased cars would be nice!
As SeriousB was trying to point out though...this is a trait well known to pros.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yeah, but pros don't own the cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...