Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011 | 11:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
It is basically as simple as smooth and early (maybe deft is a better description) braking, suspension setup, pad choice, tire pressures, the track surface.... actually it's not simple at all.
so can anybody give a proper comprehensive symptoms analysis for this issue or is it a strictly guarded proprietary top secret forbidden knowledge?

as any other issue if it is reproducable than it should be possible to define list of reasons that trigger it. if it is not reproducable then it is irrelevant even to continue discussing it.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
so can anybody give a proper comprehensive symptoms analysis for this issue or is it a strictly guarded proprietary top secret forbidden knowledge?

as any other issue if it is reproducable than it should be possible to define list of reasons that trigger it. if it is not reproducable then it is irrelevant even to continue discussing it.
What the ... ?!

ps. reproducible
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:14 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Fritz

Don't call me Dude and don't think that paying 100,000 of your flakey dollars for a car gives you any rights.

You live in a litigious world, if you are right in what you say, the remedy lies in your hands, I'm sure there is some attorney somewhere who will take this matter on. But most unlikely to be a good one, or it would have been done long ago.

Your incoherent post continues to make reference to driving on 'racetracks'. What part of STREET don't you understand?

R+C
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What the ... ?!

ps. reproducible
it is easy - if you know the answer - let us know what it is. as so far thread is full of assumptions and now it simply went south and no one still seems to understand of what to do and what not to do exactly to avoid this 'ice mode'. best advice given so far seems to be 'do not brake late period if there is a wall ahead'. it is an interesting approach no ****.

and i reserve my right to be as illiterate as it suits me.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol

The problem with giving a "comprehensive syptoms analysis" is that there a huge number of dimensions to the problem. Spring rates, compression and rebound settings on dampers, downforce, tire type, number of heat cycles on the tires, front/back tire diameters, track surface type, track "smoothness" (for lack of a better term), track temperature, brake pad type, brake pad age, rotor condition, and finally braking technique.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Nugget
You seem to have forgotten that the GT3 is a STREET car. It has an ABS system for a STREET car.
You complaining about behaviour that was, is and always will be outside the performance envelope that STREET cars are designed to handle.
Putting on pseudo track tyres, or even slicks is not compatible with ROAD legal homologation.

Porsche won't teach you how to box up portions of chicken nugget, if you don't teach them how to build and test brake and ABS systems.

It is very well known in Germany that when you put extreme tyres or slicks on street cars, braking performance is often degraded. Were you to speak to a Bosch or PAG development engineer about the problem you perceive, they would explain this to you.

If you want to have a street car that you can put track tyres on, then the solution lies in your hands. Get someboty who knows what they are doing to fit an ABS system that is programable and make sure the existing program parameters are duplicated along with the additional parms for use with slicks/track tyres only. If this is too rich for your blood, then I guess its back to the chicken nuggets.

R+C
+1 ... even for a mixed use street/track.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
The problem with giving a "comprehensive syptoms analysis" is that there a huge number of dimensions to the problem. Spring rates, compression and rebound settings on dampers, downforce, tire type, number of heat cycles on the tires, front/back tire diameters, track surface type, track "smoothness" (for lack of a better term), track temperature, brake pad type, brake pad age, rotor condition, and finally braking technique.
it contradicts with previous statements 'can be done on any street car with street ABS'. Also, I understood OP had it happened on his stock PASM GT3, or was it not stock? i also understand GT3 car comes stock with michelin cups r-comps which are 'stickier than street tires' in this thread terms.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Old 04-26-2011 | 12:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

yep, I just wanted to say myself that it is time to start posting BS facepalms as it is much easier than to answer anything.

to 'Carrera GT' - this is exactly what I meant by 'is irrelevant even to continue discussing it'.
Old 04-26-2011 | 01:39 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Gents let's keep it civil please! No need for insults and belligerence on this topic.
We can just agree to disagree.

Thanks.

Now on topic.

I did a quick google search (it's still free btw) and it's obvious that this is not a Porsche only issue. Furthermore it is not even a Bosch only issue.
I found drivers' reports from at least 11 different car manufacturers some using various Bosch versions, some not.

Users described this rock solid pedal in various conditions from track to street.

Most seem to happen on a sudden stabbing of the brakes when one of the sensors thinks that the car is on ice due to the fact that the sensor is reading something similar to the deceleration rate, that it would read if we applied the brakes in a patch of ice on a road;
then it does what it's designed to do, which is provide a minimum braking force while maintaining the car's ability to turn.

Above issue can become worse or better if we change some of the factory items / characteristics in the suspension, pads / disks, and tires.

To summarize and from my non expert POV , I believe that this is an unavoidable disadvantage of most of the current generation street ABS systems. They are called to perform in varying mixed conditions that apparently it is impossible for their programmers to implement into them the necessary data to do it all well..

Proof of that is that the old ABS race systems had to be reprogrammed if something was changed in the car (for example tires), then we have the current generation race ABS systems that are adjustable meaning that even those can’t do it all well out of the box and finally we see that some 4wd drive vehicles are equipped with a snow/ice ABS mode to be able to cope better when off-roading.

Several DIY solutions are described in various forums from pulling off sensors, playing with valves to completely removing the ABS system.
I think that for the majority of us, the best approach is to realize that these are street cars with the best track abilities out there. Use them like that and you ‘ll be fine.

PS. I have never experienced the ICE mode in any of my cars, even at the bumpiest, scariest scenario that I can think of.. Perhaps I am just too SLOW : )
Old 04-26-2011 | 02:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Gents let's keep it civil please! No need for insults and belligerence on this topic.

Thanks.

Now on topic.

I did a quick google search (it's still free btw) and it's obvious that this is not a Porsche only issue. Furthermore it is not even a Bosch only issue.
I found drivers' reports from at least 11 different car manufacturers some using various Bosch versions, some not.

Users described this rock solid pedal in various conditions from track to street.

Most seem to happen on a sudden stabbing of the brakes when one of the sensors thinks that the car is on ice due to the fact that the sensor is reading something similar to the deceleration rate, that it would read if we applied the brakes in a patch of ice on a road;
then it does what it's designed to do, which is provide a minimum braking force while maintaining the car's ability to turn.

Above issue can become worse or better if we change some of the factory items / characteristics in the suspension, pads / disks, and tires.

To summarize and from my non expert POV , I believe that this is an unavoidable disadvantage of most of the current generation street ABS systems. They are called to perform in varying mixed conditions that apparently it is impossible for their programmers to implement into them the necessary data to do it all well..

Proof of that is that the old ABS race systems had to be reprogrammed if something was changed in the car (for example tires), then we have the current generation race ABS systems that are adjustable meaning that even those can’t do it all well out of the box and finally we see that some 4wd drive vehicles are equipped with a snow/ice ABS mode to be able to cope better when off-roading.

Several DIY solutions are described in various forums from pulling off sensors, playing with valves to completely removing the ABS system.
I think that for the majority of us, the best approach is to realize that these are street cars with the best track abilities out there. Use them like that and you ‘ll be fine.

PS. I have never experienced the ICE mode in any of my cars, even at the bumpiest, scariest scenario that I can think of.. Perhaps I am just too SLOW : )
Exactly what several of us have been saying on this and other threads. For some, this seems to be an unacceptable answer.
Old 04-26-2011 | 02:06 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

Now on topic.

Well said and that's a great ending to this silly thread
Old 04-26-2011 | 02:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

They are called to perform in varying mixed conditions that apparently it is impossible for their programmers to implement into them the necessary data to do it all well..
i do not think embedded controller in ABS ECU has any logic so complicated that it cannot be translated into a dozen of sentences in plain English. List of sensors is limited, list of conditions that may trigger forks in ECU logic is also limited, so IF we would have anybody here who would want to share this knowledge - it would not be so complicated. Life as it is in reality is much less complicated than it seems anyway. People just tend to make it look more complicated than it is to avoid responsibility, usually.
Old 04-26-2011 | 02:37 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

PS. I have never experienced the ICE mode in any of my cars, even at the bumpiest scariest scenario that I can think.. Perhaps I am just too SLOW : )
Yes, you are slow.

Don't you know you have to jerk at all the controls to make the car go fast. That's what they do in the movies. Works for them.

Smooth brake application with enough stopping power is a difficult skill to master. Only second in difficulty to smoothly coming off the brakes. More important than throttle application even without ABS "ice-mode".

I am not saying that people who experienced "ice-mode" are bad drivers. But so far we haven't got any reports from real pros getting affected. There is always room to learn something new.

I haven't logged any track miles on my 997.2 RS yet. Maybe I'll get nailed by the "ice-mode", as well. Never had it in the 996 GT3 or in any other car before.

Maybe the street GT3 cars can't be driven the same way Cup cars can. They are still the best you can do while having a license plate. (Radicals don't count )
Old 04-26-2011 | 02:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

^

"Just touch them.." & "the slowest way.. is the fastest way".. : )

Quick Reply: well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...