Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can 911GT3RS turn a quicker lap than VIPER ACR at Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
My question is this, can the new GT3RS break this record under the piloting of competent hands? Does the Porsche need more than 450 BHP to do this? Or would we need something like the Twin Turbo or perhaps the GT2 to accomplish the job.

Can the RS do it?

DISCUSS...
Not even dreaming. The new GT3 RS is slower than the 997 GT2. They have already lapped at 7:35, which is 5 secs faster than the 2010 GT3.

Viper is underrated at 600Hp, it actually runs around 630Hp (stock), with few mods (intake/exhaust/tune) it reaches 700Hp.

A 997 GT2 or GT3 RS would need the same power as the Viper to keep up, because the massive downforce in the ACR helps the car a lot (1000 lbs of downforce at 150mph compared to the stock SRT-10 Coupe 100 lbs of downforce at the same speed).

With proper gearing, the ACR can be a lot faster. Moton has been working on Viper for years, the shocks and spring rates are already track tested, much better suspension than the stock ACR stuff. The ACR has 250 lbs of weight easily removed, it can run the biggest tires available (997 RSR slicks, 335/345 Hoosiers).

A GT3 Cup is a better match, but then you can take an ACR to the same level of preparation (close ratio gears and stripped car with carbon body parts), it will crush the Cup car as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having been on track with one the ACR is a monster. It will crush any street legal Porsche period. Didn't Road & Track have a comparison with the GT2 at a U.S. track and it was four seconds a lap faster. The grip levels it produces are amazing. Having said that it is a Viper not sure I want to own one.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not like I would want to drive one from Long Beach to Lake Tahoe; know where you are coming from!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you comparing an eight liter v10 race cr with e < 4 liter h6 street car?

What do you think will win, no matter who drives or what mods?

I watch vipers go by me like I'm not moving at my local tracks (in the straights mind you ;-). Mooty I see them doing the same to our hot shoe hero when they are not timid ladies driving like in a certain NCRC race we all remember last year

GT3 is a great car, but there is always something faster guys.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Well driven Vipers and Corvettes Z06 are faster than well driven GT3's. The diffrene is bigger on the big traks, Sebring daytona, Road ATL.

Forget ACR and ZR1 with bigger brakes, aero and some suspension..

I go for the GT3 for the feel and dependabilty in standard form, but you will have to let them by...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Mooty I see them doing the same to our hot shoe hero when they are not timid ladies driving like in a certain NCRC race we all remember last year
LOL......
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 469 Likes on 190 Posts

Flame suit on....but I believe the .2 RS will not even beat the Nissan GT-R around the 'Ring.

I was hoping it would, but from the numbers I've seen it's not going to.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by switchcars
Flame suit on....but I believe the .2 RS will not even beat the Nissan GT-R around the 'Ring.

I was hoping it would, but from the numbers I've seen it's not going to.
That one is a close run anyway. A lot of variables as usual but Car just did a comparison earlier this year, same driver b2b in 2010 GT3 and GTR and the GT3 was about 2 sec faster IIRC.

I agree with the comments on the ACR - no comparison.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Well driven Vipers and Corvettes Z06 are faster than well driven GT3's. The diffrene is bigger on the big traks, Sebring daytona, Road ATL.

Forget ACR and ZR1 with bigger brakes, aero and some suspension..

I go for the GT3 for the feel and dependabilty in standard form, but you will have to let them by...
Having owned both, I can say unequivically, the Viper is faster. The Viper is also stone reliable...never an issue. Takes abuse in stride. The Porsche is the nicer car. Feels better, sounds better, smells better and is put together better. Thats one reason why Im selling my Viper and getting the new RS.

Flash
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

My thoughts were to see if Porsche could take the record back from Dodge. Doesn't look like any 911 derivative will be able to do that in production guise.

Now on the other foot when Porsche finally gets the two door variant of the Panamara, hopefully the next 928, up and roaring we will see something to that effect. I could see them producing an RS model 928 or even a Cup car. I for one would be in line for a set of keys. Being 6'5" it is very difficult for he to even work the clutch pedal in the latest .2 GT3! That is why I prefer the PDK since I don't have to constantly strike my left shin on the dashboard. Have been looking into having a custom dash made just for this reason.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
My thoughts were to see if Porsche could take the record back from Dodge. Doesn't look like any 911 derivative will be able to do that in production guise.

Now on the other foot when Porsche finally gets the two door variant of the Panamara, hopefully the next 928, up and roaring we will see something to that effect. I could see them producing an RS model 928 or even a Cup car. I for one would be in line for a set of keys. Being 6'5" it is very difficult for he to even work the clutch pedal in the latest .2 GT3! That is why I prefer the PDK since I don't have to constantly strike my left shin on the dashboard. Have been looking into having a custom dash made just for this reason.
I'm almost 6'8" and it works for me. I'd like to have a little more room but it's not bad. What I want is an extension for my steering wheel to bring it closer to me. By the time I move my seat all the way back for my legs, the wheel is not at an optimum distance.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I'm almost 6'8" and it works for me. I'd like to have a little more room but it's not bad. What I want is an extension for my steering wheel to bring it closer to me. By the time I move my seat all the way back for my legs, the wheel is not at an optimum distance.
HOLY MACKERAL!!! 6'8", I always tell everyone I know that if you are taller than me, @ 6'5", then you are eff'ing tall!!! With a Capitol EFF'ING...

Ok then how much trouble do you run into when using the clutch? I sat in a new black on black GT3 on Thursday and found I might have issues with the clutch. Amazingly enough I put the driver's seat all the way back and it was too much, which is a rarity with most modern cars; as a matter of fact it is the first thing I usually do, adjust the seat all the way back.

Kind of have it in the back of my head to go to sharky and have that 3.9 conversion performed. Don't know if that will be before or after I finally get my 997.2 TT?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 AM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about if we put Tech Art GT Street RS against the Viper ACR ?

They were the fastest at the Tuner Grand Prix.

Do you guys think the Tech Art GT Street RS can lap Nurburgring faster than the Viper ACR ?

and how about Ruf new second generation Rt12 ?
Too bad Ruf never participated in the Tuner Grand Prix...

I know 9ff had higher horsepower engine than the Ruf's or the Tech Art's,
but somehow I think 9ff package is not as balanced as the Ruf's and the Tech Art's
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Well of course once you start modded the hell out of a car after you get it from the factory. What would stop Dodge doing that with their Viper or in Chevy doing that with the ZR1?

I'm certain a modded to hell and back 911 can do it, just was searching for something from the factory and as of right now that offering does not exist.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

well, if we really want a factory peeing contest.... the corvette C6R vs. RSR at petite LeMans this year.... the porsche won.... vette went into the wall hard during final lap battle....

a viper competition coupe would be in the same level of competiton vs. RSR.

at a certain level of perfomance it depends on the driver and track condition.....

Quick Reply: Can 911GT3RS turn a quicker lap than VIPER ACR at Nurburgring?