Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Single-mass flywheel noise question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts
Default Single-mass flywheel noise question

My understanding is that the additional noise created by single-mass flywheels over dual-mass flywheels only occurs when the transmission is disengaged, i.e., at idle. The is no additional noise created by the single-mass flywheel/transmission under power. Is this correct?

I've done a search on the forum and found some threads that support the above but none are entirely clear and most are dated.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Also why does the single mass flywheel chatter at idle? Is it loose or something? Mike
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

According to this post over at renntech

The rattle you hear is from the gearbox and is normal with a single mass flywheel. At idle the individual cylinder-fire pulses are passed through the flywheel to the gearbox (with the clutch engaged) and those pulses rattle the gear lash/play in the gear train. A dual mass flywheel effectively has a rubber(or otherwise) damper in it which smooths out the pulses and reduces the gear lash rattle."

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=21855
The following users liked this post:
jvaleski (04-23-2021)
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock FW has rubber between the plates. The noise you hear is the normal sounds from the car that are not isolated by the rubber. Nothing is loose. IT is just the sound of a car with a proper F.W.

My wife hates the sound but I just make sure I have the peddle depressed at lights and all is well. It is a great mod! 17pounds the crank does not need to turn. 1,-3 is unreal.
BTW: that is a wicked avatar.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only at idle.

great mod, im getting one in my 997s when its time to replace the clutch.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a no-brainer (except for Porsche warranty?).

Having had to replace a dual-mass flywheel in both mine and my wife's Boxster Ss, I also prefer to not have a flywheel be a 'replacement' part, especially at $1200+.

That, and hating sunroofs, sealed the .1 RS for me.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

dealer did mine and no warranty issues.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
dealer did mine and no warranty issues.
Dealer installed my DME and SharkWerks bypass. That doesn't mean that PNA will be happy.

Back in June, MJones posted a TSB (3/08 1359 Dated 5/18/2009) listing PNA policy/excuses under the thread "New TSB re:RMS"

Forewarned in forearmed.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

just need the right dealer. I had PCCB rotors replaced for <$2400 because of a dealer that understands I am their customer and fought the fight. The Porsche rep will always as no. They have done the mod to a number of cars.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
My understanding is that the additional noise created by single-mass flywheels over dual-mass flywheels only occurs when the transmission is disengaged, i.e., at idle. The is no additional noise created by the single-mass flywheel/transmission under power. Is this correct?

Thanks.
correct.
it's not very loud at all. after 100 miles you will never hear it again (you will get used to it)
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

just need the right dealer.
That's what I keep telling myself. I took care of them in the early part of the year when their service department was dead. So far, they seem to remember... I hope it keeps working that way.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

I've done a search on the forum and found some threads that support the above but none are entirely clear and most are dated.

Thanks.
On my RS, the "rattle" is of course there at idle with the clutch in, but only after the car warms up a bit (not sure why). Once up to temp, I often also hear a clear (but more subdued) rattle at low RPMs when powering away from a stop. I've come to actually like the sound because it just fits the hard core nature of these cars.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just need the right dealer. I had PCCB rotors replaced for <$2400 because of a dealer that understands I am their customer and fought the fight. The Porsche rep will always as no. They have done the mod to a number of cars.
As I understand it, PCNA is going through the dealer network to milk the calf (a post hoc audit of service paperwork on warranty tickets) so, given their financial dire straits -- dealers and importer -- I think we have to assume nonsense like the RMS excuses will become more frequent. Anyone buying the 2010 GT cars should assume they'll have an RMS leak and set aside $800 to have a trusted shop put in the 996 GT3 seal.

When that $1700 Li-Ion battery pukes because it's overcharged (with a conventional "tender" for lead-acid batteries) or 100% discharged (radar detector) don't expect the parts guy to push a new one across the counter with a smile and a hardy handshake.

When you damage one of those centerlocks, don't expect PCNA to carry them in stock in the country. They barely carry wiper blades in stock.

What this has to do with a clutch rattling in the basket, I dunno, sorry ... : ) ... just thinking out loud ...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
On my RS, the "rattle" is of course there at idle with the clutch in, but only after the car warms up a bit (not sure why). Once up to temp, I often also hear a clear (but more subdued) rattle at low RPMs when powering away from a stop. I've come to actually like the sound because it just fits the hard core nature of these cars.
I think it only rattles when hot because the gear oil is thinner, thus allowing the metal bits to rattle more than when cold. And I also hear the rattle at low rpm when pulling away from a stop.

BTW Carrera GT, I think the Li battery has some protection built in to ensure it never discharges completely.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing to keep in mind with a LWFW is that on deceleration you will also notice less engine braking effect.

Quick Reply: Single-mass flywheel noise question