Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Single-mass flywheel noise question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
One thing to keep in mind with a LWFW is that on deceleration you will also notice less engine braking effect.
A lightened flywheel should reduce momentum. Braking effect is the result of engine/driveline resistance. LWFW should increase braking effect, since it doesn't have to overcome the additional momentum of the heavier flywheel.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
A lightened flywheel should reduce momentum. Braking effect is the result of engine/driveline resistance. LWFW should increase braking effect, since it doesn't have to overcome the additional momentum of the heavier flywheel.
Correct.

The FW (like the whole car) is decelerating when the engine braking effect is felt. As it decelerates, the FW gives up its rotational kinetic energy to the moving vehicle. So it adds to the vehicle's kinetic energy - it keeps the car moving longer. Thus a heavy FW will decrease the braking effect, and a light one will increase the effect.

Think about it this way; If the FW weighed, say 5 tons, then imagine how long it would take the vehicle to coast to a stop when you lift off the throttle. It would take a very long time because the energy of 5 tons of rotating FW would have to be dissipated by engine compression (and aero drag). So a heavy flywheel obviously decreases the braking effect.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 11-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i love the chatter. i also love PFC brake pads and the long squeel I can get out of them coming up to a security gate and watching everyone cringe. gt3 is awesome even when just driving around doing errands.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
One thing to keep in mind with a LWFW is that on deceleration you will also notice less engine braking effect.
With a lwfw, I've had people behind me say my brake lights weren't working because I slowed so quickly...and I just eased up on the gas.

Quick Reply: Single-mass flywheel noise question