Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center Lock Wheel wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I think I will go the seperate breaker bar too. Certainly a lot cheaper than replacing the torque wrench.

For those who have already received their cars, are you finding it hard to torque up the wheels to 500nM with your 40inch torque wrenches and to crack them with a breaker bar, or is this sufficient length to get the required torque? Also, does the wheel nut thing supplied by Porsche give enough clearance to clear the fenders of the car or do you need to use an extension piece?
Hey ROX!

I have a Snap On 48" torque wrench and have no issue with it at all. I am sure I overpaid by a bit, even with my friend working for Snap On and my Buddy discount. There seams to be some decent wrenches out there that would work just as well. BUT I will say that the extra 8 inches from 40" is appreciated. When I push down about 8 inches from the end I notice there is obviously due to physics, quite a difference in force required.

As far as a breaker bar, it is a long story, but here we go. I was up in north central PA when I realized I had a problem with my brake pads and had to get the wheels off. My Snap On will not wrench in the opposite direction to save it from people using it as a breaker bar. My only resort was to buy a 12" 3/4 drive breaker bar from Sears and a 4' galvenized pipe from Lowes to get the wheels off to be ready for my track event that was a day away. It works fine once again probably due to the length. I would think a 40" breaker bar would be quite an effort to use since it takes more torque to remove the wheels, but have never used one. I sure can tell you that a 12" breaker bar is impossible, LOL! I am not sure how long I will continue to use this setup, but right now it works for me.

As far as the clearance, I have no issue, but am very cautious. One slip and "DING"

I hope this helps.

When is your delivery date?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by got2go
Once they've been off and back on it seems to get easier. Re-torqueing even with the long Precision Instrument wrench is a chore. I have a difficult time getting to the full 370 ft. lbs, at least getting the first "click". I follow the manual and back off about 60 degrees after the initial torque and then re-torque. Its also a two person job with someone in the car with a foot on the brake when the final torque is applied.

I'm not totally satified with the PI wrench, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Stahlwille which has a much more precise torque setting mechanism but is very pricey. I do recommend the breaker bar for removal, particularly since a jack handle will fit over it for extra leverage if needed.
Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey ROX!

I have a Snap On 48" torque wrench and have no issue with it at all. I am sure I overpaid by a bit, even with my friend working for Snap On and my Buddy discount. There seams to be some decent wrenches out there that would work just as well. BUT I will say that the extra 8 inches from 40" is appreciated. When I push down about 8 inches from the end I notice there is obviously due to physics, quite a difference in force required.

As far as a breaker bar, it is a long story, but here we go. I was up in north central PA when I realized I had a problem with my brake pads and had to get the wheels off. My Snap On will not wrench in the opposite direction to save it from people using it as a breaker bar. My only resort was to buy a 12" 3/4 drive breaker bar from Sears and a 4' galvenized pipe from Lowes to get the wheels off to be ready for my track event that was a day away. It works fine once again probably due to the length. I would think a 40" breaker bar would be quite an effort to use since it takes more torque to remove the wheels, but have never used one. I sure can tell you that a 12" breaker bar is impossible, LOL! I am not sure how long I will continue to use this setup, but right now it works for me.

As far as the clearance, I have no issue, but am very cautious. One slip and "DING"

I hope this helps.

When is your delivery date?

Thanks for the info fellas... I have bought a 40" torque wrench that can supposedly dial up to 600ft/lb... I am hoping this will do... Regarding applying the required force- the conundrum is that I can go to Maccas and eat burgers to obtain the weight required to apply the neccesary force easily but I'll probably not fit in the car thereafter, lol .. we'll see how we go there...

My problem has been finding a breaker bar with any decent length or maximum torque rating locally. Most are only about 2' long and rated to 500-600 ft/lb which is bordering on what is required to get the nuts off... I was intended to use a pipe also for the added leverage but with maximum ratings so low, the head is likely to just snap off in any case. There is only 1 snapon 3' breaker bar that I have come across that may do the job with a max rating of 790ft/lb but locally they cost an absolute fortune... It may have to just do... Alternatively, I may have to check out the shipping costs on the Titan bars pictured above.

Hey TDM, my car is a Jan build for March delivery... Will be sure to post photos when I get it but they'll be a dime a dozen by then, I'm sure

Quick Reply: Center Lock Wheel wrench