2010 RS Roll bar/cage

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 2010 RS Roll bar/cage

Does anyone know if the North American RS will have the mounting points for the Clubsport cage? The 07 RS did not, except for a few of the first cars delivered.

I seem to recall some speculation that the 996 GT3 Tequipment roll bar will not work in the 2010. Is this true?

Best,
Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Does anyone know if the North American RS will have the mounting points for the Clubsport cage? The 07 RS did not, except for a few of the first cars delivered.

I seem to recall some speculation that the 996 GT3 Tequipment roll bar will not work in the 2010. Is this true?

Best,
Friends don't let friends install the Tequipment "Pan Americana" roll bar -- it won't do the job (and it's not approved for motorsport.)

As for compatibility, we'll have to see about the full bolt-together cage mounts (which use the strut tops,) but it seems that the RS doesn't have rear seat attachment points -- The Teq "jewelry" bar relies upon the rear seat belt anchor points (which the RS apparently forgoes.) This is a new step for the 997.2 RS, so we'll have to wait and see what actually arrives in the US given the sense of humor of the DOT. There's still the potential for US-bound RS's to arrive in a C4S chassis.

Repetitious gripe from me: Porsche should cull the froufrou out of the order guide and provide things like "seam-welded chassis" and "integrated roll-over cage" and "side intrusion bars" instead of "painted air vents" and "chrome mirrors" (seriously!)
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Carerra GT - I don't know where you got your info leading you to dis the Tequipment bar. Porsche designed it and you can count on the fact that it works. Porsche is liability adverse. Do you really think they would stick their necks out with a product that doesn't do what it is supposed to?

Moreover observation of a number of 996Gt3s that rolled has shown that it does the job as intended. No, it is not approved for racing, then again, no roll bar is, you need a cage. As a device to prevent being crushed in a roll-over it has been shown to work as designed. There are (sadly) too many GT2s and GT3s which proved the point.

As to the other goodies, I agree with you, but they have to be aftermarket parts since a car with a cage in it is not legal for the street. Imagine hitting your head on the cage in a road accident ...

Regards,
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Best bet IMHO is to install clubsport roll bar. Actually a great bar, and is close to factory as you can get.

You will probably have to weld in the factory plates and you will have to cut the carpets.

Although half cages (roll bar) for USA motorsports/track events in some cases require a thicker diameter tube the the clubsport tube i believe?

any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

tcs - I agree. Wanted it on my 07 but did not want to weld in the car. If the mounts are standard, great. If not I'd like to start a campaign to get them included on cars bound for N.A. I have asked my dealer, but no response from Porsche yet.

Best,
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
tcs - I agree. Wanted it on my 07 but did not want to weld in the car. If the mounts are standard, great. If not I'd like to start a campaign to get them included on cars bound for N.A. I have asked my dealer, but no response from Porsche yet.

Best,

my 07 RS didnt come with plates. So i bought the full clubsport plates and hardware for my clubsport bar.
yes, it required sanding the floor paint off in order to weld the plates and then a spray of factory orange paint to finish. (gulp)

not really a big deal.

trouble was for me however, the car already had aftermarket bar plates installed, thus i didnt end up using the factory plates. the factory plates are actually very slight. So im kinda happy with what i have for plates now as they are stronger, just not "factory" .
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like a very lucky RS owner, my 07 RS came with welded in plates from the factory.
Did you find a way to assemble the clubsport bar to avoid rattling. I read on several posts that people complained about the noise this bars make. Possibly the 2010 clubsport bar will have a slightly different design which will make it quiet?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
I feel like a very lucky RS owner, my 07 RS came with welded in plates from the factory.
Did you find a way to assemble the clubsport bar to avoid rattling. I read on several posts that people complained about the noise this bars make. Possibly the 2010 clubsport bar will have a slightly different design which will make it quiet?
my clubsport bar has zero rattle.
installer used rubber gaskets and washers.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Any news on this yet?
Do we know the part number? I will need one come March..
Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Any news on this yet?
Do we know the part number? I will need one come March..
Ditto for me...
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I asked Florian, one of the German (very helpful) reps at the LA auto show, for his assistance to find this info. He supplied me with the email address for what is supposed to be the "Parts Manager, Porsche NA". It seems this person cannot be bothered to answer emails as I have received no reply to the several I have sent over 12 days.

Anyone else care to explore this route?

Phoebe Palazzo
714-361-2511
phoebe@porschemotorsport.com

Maybe someone that lives in S. Cal can drive over there and ring their bell and see if the personal touch is any motivation for them to wake up and respond to customers? (yes, I am pissed off at being ignored)

Or, if somebody will communicate Mr. Detlev von Platen's email addy to me, I will contact him and see if he can motivate the troops into interaction with the unwashed masses that only want to give them money!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
farfinator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Parts Catalog, it appears that the part number for the ROW RS Bar is the same for 2010 as with earlier years.
Part# 997-580-986-02.
It currently lists for $2378.95.
Regrettably, when last investigated, I found Porsche had, due to liability considerations, elected to discontinue import the bar into the US, and that was further bolstered by the lack of stock of both it and the Teq bar in the US parts distribution centers.
Savyboy, you may as well stop knocking on Phoebe's door and end your frustration. Phoebe retired several weeks ago and it is quite like given the year end activity at PMNA and focus on year end events, the remaining staff has simply not had the presense of mind or time yet to forward or respond to her email communications. BTW, Phoebe was the Parts Manager for Motorsports, not Porsche NA and would not likely have been able to give you any answers anyway.
Given there was/is no intention to import the bar, it is extremely unlikely, Porsche will be swayed to outfit the cars to suit components they do not wish to permit on the cars. So, if you are able to obtain one through some grey market import or used even, plan to have to make your own provisions for mounting.
Be advised that this will included not only providing for the forward legs mounting, but also modification of the rear shelf to accomodate the rear legs.
Good Luck! Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Thanks for posting!
Anyone else bringing in part # 997-580-986-02?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by farfinator
According to the Parts Catalog, it appears that the part number for the ROW RS Bar is the same for 2010 as with earlier years.
Part# 997-580-986-02.
It currently lists for $2378.95.
Regrettably, when last investigated, I found Porsche had, due to liability considerations, elected to discontinue import the bar into the US, and that was further bolstered by the lack of stock of both it and the Teq bar in the US parts distribution centers.
Savyboy, you may as well stop knocking on Phoebe's door and end your frustration. Phoebe retired several weeks ago and it is quite like given the year end activity at PMNA and focus on year end events, the remaining staff has simply not had the presense of mind or time yet to forward or respond to her email communications. BTW, Phoebe was the Parts Manager for Motorsports, not Porsche NA and would not likely have been able to give you any answers anyway.
Given there was/is no intention to import the bar, it is extremely unlikely, Porsche will be swayed to outfit the cars to suit components they do not wish to permit on the cars. So, if you are able to obtain one through some grey market import or used even, plan to have to make your own provisions for mounting.
Be advised that this will included not only providing for the forward legs mounting, but also modification of the rear shelf to accomodate the rear legs.
Good Luck! Hope this helps.
Cold water for sure on the original issue at hand, but at least some facts and I thank you for that and for your post
Old 12-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Getting the ROW bar should not be a problem. I am sure that carnewal.com can supply it. He is a great resource and long time sponsor. If I have to weld plates inside the car, it is a non starter though, hence the original question!

Quick Reply: 2010 RS Roll bar/cage