Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

FS: 07 GT3 Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a wonderful car, good luck with the sale but doubt you'll need it since it will sell quickly.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

whoever buys this car is getting the deal of the year (GT3 wise). I'm scratching my head right now.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
whoever buys this car is getting the deal of the year (GT3 wise). I'm scratching my head right now.
No kidding - very tempting... wish I had the free cash right now
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
retirement
By retirement, I hope you mean you're retiring BSR and getting this GrandAm car! You know what it costs to build a car like this!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

this street GT3 is on serious steriods. not cheap, and tastefully done!

the question is:

is it streetable?
and can it compete with a CUP?

for half the price of a CUP it is a great package anyway you look at it.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:02 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
this street GT3 is on serious steriods. not cheap, and tastefully done!

the question is:

is it streetable?
and can it compete with a CUP?

for half the price of a CUP it is a great package anyway you look at it.
Wondering the same??

UNREAL car and deal, woww..
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the car.

In it's current set up - it's not really streetable. The Cup Car triple disk clutch and lightweight flywheel is not something you would want to deal with in traffic. The Cup S exhaust is pretty loud to.

To answer the question on running with Cup cars - it really depends on the driver. I've only run the car at VIR and it can consistently do 2:00's and is capable of a 1:58 with a better driver (looking at TBL data from Traqmate). There are some racers out there who can pilot a 996 Cups to a 1:59 but generally they run in the 2:01 to 2:04 range. The really quick guys in 997 Cups can run south of 1:57's. So short answer long, it can run with Cup cars.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug23
. So short answer long, it can run with Cup cars.
and it doesn't have the maintenance schedule of a cup...
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
GT3 S/R

3000 lbs. w/driver/(3.6 x 135) x 100= 617

Dell how did he get 396RWHP out of a stock motor?
he'd be in GTA because of the "gt3" engine. it is not a listed/allowed engine in GT1-4.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
and it doesn't have the maintenance schedule of a cup...

Bingo. The tranny, 6 speed, is what in my opinion makes this car more viable than the 997 Cup with its frequent tranny rebuilds. When I saw the car it had vented rear window's and such but put back non vented and probably have to change the doors to get working windows and then you could probably drive it on the street. I mean after all can't be any louder that a 996GT3 with bypass pipes.

NJGT buy it and run the 2010 OLOA with it, or you could bring the 430

Peter
Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, awesome car, but.... don't get me wrong.... IMO the purpose of a racecar is to compete (and win or try to) and for that a great car is one that goes to the extent of the rulebook. In this case, K Stock is usually an empty class in almost all the PCA races I've been too, and the car still has a long way to go of being fully developed for NASA GTS (Formula Libre IMHO, GTS will be dominated by cars with extensive suspension and Aero work) or GT3 or worse GTA in PCA (Against factory RSRs!!!).

Nice toy for those that only want to compete against themselves or DE (but IMHO, why bother with a track only car for DE...)
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Yes, awesome car, but.... don't get me wrong.... IMO the purpose of a racecar is to compete (and win or try to) and for that a great car is one that goes to the extent of the rulebook. In this case, K Stock is usually an empty class in almost all the PCA races I've been too, and the car still has a long way to go of being fully developed for NASA GTS (Formula Libre IMHO, GTS will be dominated by cars with extensive suspension and Aero work) or GT3 or worse GTA in PCA (Against factory RSRs!!!).

Nice toy for those that only want to compete against themselves or DE (but IMHO, why bother with a track only car for DE...)
I think the price fully discounts what you're (correctly, in my humble) pointing out re. racing. As for DE or private track days or time trials, each to his own (especially in terms of time and safety when it comes to w2w racing) and again, this car is an exceptional starting point. Take it either closer to the street as a drive-to-event car and have a lot of fun with what I consider the sensible level of safety at the track in a car this quick or this purposeful, or dip a toe in the TT or club racing game then be prepared to spend dollars to make it competitive at whatever level the driver talent or budget permits.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the price fully discounts what you're (correctly, in my humble) pointing out re. racing. As for DE or private track days or time trials, each to his own (especially in terms of time and safety when it comes to w2w racing) and again, this car is an exceptional starting point. Take it either closer to the street as a drive-to-event car and have a lot of fun with what I consider the sensible level of safety at the track in a car this quick or this purposeful, or dip a toe in the TT or club racing game then be prepared to spend dollars to make it competitive at whatever level the driver talent or budget permits.
Agree, I respect anyones decision to DE only such extreme and well prepared equipment instead of an out of the box GT2/3.
However, I have one big question that always pops my mind when a heavily modified street GT3 appears: Many argue that it is a great deal because it doesnt have the service intervals of a Cup Car. From my racing experience when you convert a regular street into a racecar, you will basically break or need to repair stuff at intervals that are lower or comparable to Cup Cars. The fact is Cup Cars come with a racecar's service guideline and our streetcars don't. Isn't this the case for a Street GT3? Why would its gearbox and engine outlast with reliability a CupCar's?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Agree, I respect anyones decision to DE only such extreme and well prepared equipment instead of an out of the box GT2/3.
However, I have one big question that always pops my mind when a heavily modified street GT3 appears: Many argue that it is a great deal because it doesnt have the service intervals of a Cup Car. From my racing experience when you convert a regular street into a racecar, you will basically break or need to repair stuff at intervals that are lower or comparable to Cup Cars. The fact is Cup Cars come with a racecar's service guideline and our streetcars don't. Isn't this the case for a Street GT3? Why would its gearbox and engine outlast with reliability a CupCar's?
The street box isn't as strong or fast as the sequential shift awesomeness. And the street engine isn't using all the rpm. They say if you drop the rev limit on a Cup to say 8400 and take care of the machinery, it will last.

If there's one street car on the planet that can go directly from the office parking lot to the race circuit -- without self-destructing -- it's the 911.

Check out the tcsracing thread -- he did basically nothing to his RS (though his credit card might beg to differ) and drove it across the continent, then raced it in the Targa Newfoundland and the car didn't skip a beat. And that car has spent its life on the track racking up, what, 20K+ miles?

As ever, "mean time between failure" is just that: a statistical average. You can still go out on track and push a con rod through he casing down-shifting into turn one at no fault of the driver. One of the critical points of denial making it possible to drive any car on the track is the denial of the very real costs that most of us avoid most of the time -- from mechanical wear and tear to failure and catastrophic failure to damage and crashes. (footnote: I'm including myself in these observations! : )
Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The street box isn't as strong or fast as the sequential shift awesomeness. And the street engine isn't using all the rpm. They say if you drop the rev limit on a Cup to say 8400 and take care of the machinery, it will last.

If there's one street car on the planet that can go directly from the office parking lot to the race circuit -- without self-destructing -- it's the 911.

Check out the tcsracing thread -- he did basically nothing to his RS (though his credit card might beg to differ) and drove it across the continent, then raced it in the Targa Newfoundland and the car didn't skip a beat. And that car has spent its life on the track racking up, what, 20K+ miles?

As ever, "mean time between failure" is just that: a statistical average. You can still go out on track and push a con rod through he casing down-shifting into turn one at no fault of the driver. One of the critical points of denial making it possible to drive any car on the track is the denial of the very real costs that most of us avoid most of the time -- from mechanical wear and tear to failure and catastrophic failure to damage and crashes. (footnote: I'm including myself in these observations! : )
I know that RS (ex-mooty. ex-NJGT (Rad) ). Worked hard but taken good care by its prior owners too. One thing to consider is Track/DE vs. Real Racing. I've never broken any of my street P-Cars at the track and I drive them really hard at 10/10, but for 3-5 laps and then cool down, most of the time due to traffic. While my racecar, that's another story... I can have things falling apart but if I fighting for the win, I dont let go at all... (and that's 90min if its and Enduro). Therefore, in 1 season almost everything has needed some replacement / repair (new gearbox for example) except the engine, that against all odds keeps running strong after 1 DE season and 2 race seasons.

Fully agree on the "hidden" costs. Big denial is when people only count pads, tires and gas as their variable DE/Track costs
Things will eventually break, that's why I insist to my tracktard friends is that the best Porsche for DE/Track are those new, leased and under warranty (you never get to enjoy the pleasure of fixing stuff )

Quick Reply: FS: 07 GT3 Race Car