Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 daily driver club!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 daily driver club!

I picked up my 2007 GT3 a few weeks ago and have driven it pretty much every day ever since. I was wondering who else uses their car as a daily driver?

Commute: 50 miles per day
Pros: drive to the office is always an adventure!
Cons: speedbumps, parking, car isn't always clean and shiny (white, so it attracts dirt), traffic, and expansion joints/road imperfections that practically cause the suspension to explode...

If you dont use yours as a daily driver - what do you drive? (I am looking for something for those horrible traffic clogged trips up to LA)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i drive my RS daily.... very livable. but it is always dirty from the rain and such which breaks my heart. but i guess it is either that or keep it tucked away in the garage as a vergin....

When my RS is trucked to another city for a race, i use my good ol' mustang for daily duty.

if i wasnt into racing my porsche, i would most definitly have a C4S for daily duty or a big four door german sedan...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work with my vehicle; hence, I drive a Honda. The RS is for track duty and my weekend drives are in my 996 Convertible.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

I've been daily driving my RS for the past year--in the city streets of Hong Kong, no less. The heavy clutch is a total pain in stop-and-go traffic but it's all justified when you get that lil bit of open road and put down the right foot...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dd this car in Seattle. No more of a challenge than any other manual transmission. I biggest problem is rough road surfaces and potential of scraping the lip. The 997 is much better with the PASM than the 996. It is hard to not pick this car in the morning. I do have a SL500 and GL 320 TDI depending on the day, snow. What CRex: all the PITA stuff is well worth it.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my '07 GT3 for just a few weeks, too, but have put in close to 1,000 miles as a daily driver. I've scraped the front spoiler lip a couple times so far but the "damage" is just barely noticeable. Having to drive through a stretch of road construction for a couple weeks during my commute to work was pretty rough, but I survived that. The car feels very solid, even over bad roads, but some deeper road ruts produce banging noises from suspension. I assume it's bottoming out. Despite all that, it's still great fun, especially winding out the engine towards redline!!!

I bought a set of winter tires and wheels for driving over the winter. I don't actually intend to drive in snow (I have another car for that), but do want to go out as long as the roads are clean and free of snow and ice.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Daily commute and grocery duties in the RS. There are some places we have to take equiraptor's MX-5 because the GT3 can't get there but otherwise it's our primary car. The front lip scrapes a minimum of three times a day: twice in my driveway and once leaving the parking garage at work. One upside of Houston living is that it's reasonable to run the PS2 cups all year long.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a "normal" person, and it's far from being all puppies and rainbows, but I don't mind it that much. It's viable if you're crazy like most of us are, I guess.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
kailuadog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to drive my car daily. The front lip is completely ragged, but for $200 bucks that is easily taken car of.
Too bad I have to drive the truck sometimes.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Rocci
Instructor

For those of you who use the GT3 as dd, or use it for other than (primarily) track duty, which seats do you prefer - the sport seats or the sport buckets? I test drove one a couple of weeks ago with the sport seats and really liked them. But, I am still undecided. I will be using the car mostly for driving in the mountains and hills around colorado. I do tend to drive aggressively when the conditions allow. The car will not see much track time mostly due to the lack of tracks in the area. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
kailuadog
Instructor

The standard sport seats are great for that, as long as you are not too wide. They keep me right in place for agro driving.
Aloha.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Daily driver par excellence. Do not find the car at all uncomfortable and think that clutch stiffness is greatly exaggerated by some. Mine has the regular sport seats.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Had the car exactly 2 weeks tomorrow, and so far I've put 1500kms (~940mi) on since then.
Have adaptive sports and they fit like the proverbial glove. Tried an RS with club sport seats and they were definitely a tight fit for my 6'6' 235lb frame.

Definitely not a car to fear as a daily driver.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM911S
For those of you who use the GT3 as dd, or use it for other than (primarily) track duty, which seats do you prefer - the sport seats or the sport buckets? I test drove one a couple of weeks ago with the sport seats and really liked them. But, I am still undecided. I will be using the car mostly for driving in the mountains and hills around colorado. I do tend to drive aggressively when the conditions allow. The car will not see much track time mostly due to the lack of tracks in the area. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

i have GT2 seats. they hug nicely, and great on long 10 hour trips. However they dont allow you to pivit in and out of the seat upon exit and entry which is a pain for alot of daily use..

for daily driving and ease of exit and entry you will want something with almost no side bolstering.....

a non aggressive seat.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to DD mine. But my commute is only about 20mi RT w/not much stop and go...Some nice twisties and two good on-ramps. Driving my 450GL lately because my daughter has he permit and drives to school with me. Two awesome cars in the garage, but stuck in the SUV!

(Regular sport seats)
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by kailuadog
The standard sport seats are great for that, as long as you are not too wide.
Aloha.
LOL So far no width problems. I have to watch out, though, my girlfriend is a great cook.

And to everyone else, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: GT3 daily driver club!