Top Gear Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Top Gear Lap Times

FYI,

in a recent Topgear mag article, the stig posted lap times at the TG track in a number of cars.... They went to pains to explain that for the purposes of the exercise the stig got one lap in each car- no practise. On the show, the absolute best time is posted after many many practise laps. It was as much a test of drivability as speed... To give an example of relevence of the times, the Lambo was tested in the show and did a 1.19.00, in this shoot out it did a 1.21.00 flat...

11 cars tested, some of the times of relevance:

The 997.2 gt3 came second only to a lambo 3-4 times its price... They raved about it- the brakes, the chassis, the high speed stability, the day to day drivability...

Times:

Lambo Murcielago SV 670-4: 1.21.00
Porsche GT3 997mk2: 1:23.1 (would be low 1.21s in actuality)
KTM X-Bow 224kw: 1:23.1
Ferrari 599 HGTE: no time set (apparently toasted tyres-couldn't get traction, most likely Ferrari banned publishing of time- ran low 1:21s in earlier shows
Audi R8 v10: 1:23.6
AM v12 vantage: 1:26.5

Goes to show that HP is not the be all and end all...
Chris

Last edited by 911rox; 10-13-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: accidentally deleted some of the times... sorry...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What edition of the TG magazine is the article in? And, do you happen to know in which episode of the TG show the cars were featured? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM911S
What edition of the TG magazine is the article in? And, do you happen to know in which episode of the TG show the cars were featured? Thanks.
Article is only in their magazine- October edition here in Aus... Not in the TV show. Quoted show laptimes were from older episodes....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this car, the .2 feels better planted than the .1's (both of them) to my cheeks, no doubt. the suspension is different feeling.

it seems almost a pleasure to drive on the street too, neither of my .1's ever did
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

So the .2 is feasible daily driver?

shhhh()t...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S

shhhh()t...
My .2 is a full, feasible daily driver in ways that my .1 GT3 and .1 GT3RS never would. The difference? More pliant suspension, a taste quieter. Just less brittle in response to road irregularities. The bit lighter dual mass FW in the .2 is the perfect in-between. Terrific shifting and heel-toe, without the tranny rattle at idle of the LWFW cars. For DD use, the infotainment system is pretty darn good too - I listen to my ipod, XM sat, etc. - decent sound. Bluetooth hookup is piece of cake, works great. And I'm using the sport seats (as from the GT2) and I find them just great for DD too (plus works great with 6 pt harness/harness bar for track days). This is the closest to daily driver bliss I have found. However, I don't commute to an office, so my DD use if mostly going on errands and playing on back roads. But even in stop and go traffic, it's a pleasure to use every day.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
it seems almost a pleasure to drive on the street too
Originally Posted by peloton
This is the closest to daily driver bliss I have found. But even in stop and go traffic, it's a pleasure to use every day.
+100. The car is a perfect blend of rorty and civilized; it compels you to get after it whenever there are suitable conditions, but can be almost coddling and calm in traffic around town. I am in DD love!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
MarekN
Racer

Remember they said this about the Mk1, and now many people above say this about the Mk2.

I recently had a Mk2 C2S for a day and that is truly a daily driver. So much so that I had to remember not to compare it to the GT3 because it seemed like a car made by some other manufacturer. Like a car for a girl´s hands.

As for daily driving, it really depends on what sort of life you lead and especially on which roads you spend your time and how much time you spend in the car. I don´t think this can be generalized. Either way, when talking Porsches and daily driving, it ends with the Turbo, anything with a GT in the name is not applicable. If you think otherwise, then we all have different ideas of what the daily grind is.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I am at Watkins Glen (again) with my 997.2 GT3 and cannot say enough about this car one of the greatest sensations is coming out of the toe just right and getting on the gas up the hill. You hear behind you this wonderful exhaust note of, "get out of my way, I'm commin thru!"

it is just such a wonderful car!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Didn't know this forum had so many girls on it. I DD a 996 GT3 RS. Permanent ear-to-ear grin. Ok, so there's blood in my urine, but that's easy to ignore.

Seriously, that my car feels like a race car more than a DD is the reason I love it so much. And while it did take some getting used to, I honestly don't find it uncomfortable as a DD. But I guess if you paint your toe nails you might prefer the new car.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

peloton...

you have a great stable of cars....
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad they did not let: J.C. drive the porsche most likely would have had a time of: DNF
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S

shhhh()t...
for the enthusiast it is near-perfect. the other guys are dead-on.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by peloton
My .2 is a full, feasible daily driver in ways that my .1 GT3 and .1 GT3RS never would. The difference? More pliant suspension, a taste quieter. Just less brittle in response to road irregularities. The bit lighter dual mass FW in the .2 is the perfect in-between. Terrific shifting and heel-toe, without the tranny rattle at idle of the LWFW cars. For DD use, the infotainment system is pretty darn good too - I listen to my ipod, XM sat, etc. - decent sound. Bluetooth hookup is piece of cake, works great. And I'm using the sport seats (as from the GT2) and I find them just great for DD too (plus works great with 6 pt harness/harness bar for track days). This is the closest to daily driver bliss I have found. However, I don't commute to an office, so my DD use if mostly going on errands and playing on back roads. But even in stop and go traffic, it's a pleasure to use every day.
very nice summary of the improvements over the .1 GT3/RS

however,if i could have tolerated the manly GT2 seats i likely would have bought the GT2
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
peloton...

you have a great stable of cars....
No doubt - awesome..

Quick Reply: Top Gear Lap Times