Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PPI done - time to write a big check.... Yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPI done - time to write a big check.... Yikes!

I am supposed to drop off a big check and pick up my new 07 GT3 Friday afternoon - very excited (even if I need to buy yet another car for hauling the kids around). PPI, done at local OC dealership, came back clean and clear, no issues except minor dings on front spoiler. DME shows zero revs in ranges 1 thru 6. Which, according to prior posts, is good an is also a bit odd (not even in range 1 or 2). Low mileage car, 5200, 170 hours, looks and rives like new. Last chance for feedback! Otherwise, I'll be driving down PCH tomorrow afternoon!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,865 Likes on 965 Posts

One caveat: my understanding is that if the DME were replaced it would wipe out all overrev history. Not saying that's the case here and I'm sure there are plenty of GT3s out there that have never seen the angry end of the tach, but just something to be aware of. Search "DME overrev" on this forum if you want more details.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy in good health.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Go write the check.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Check cleared, 2007 GT3, White, 5k miles, now sits in my garage (as far over as possible so as to avoid the kids bikes) where I peek in and stare at it in disbelief. My last P car was a 71 911T, so I am feeling like Porsche has come a long long long way in 38 years. This will be my daily driver until I can justify buying a more practical daily car - so until I hit my first traffic jam (probably Monday morning) the commute is something to look forward to. I may even get up earlier and start taking the long way to work.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxyz
Check cleared, 2007 GT3, White, 5k miles, now sits in my garage (as far over as possible so as to avoid the kids bikes) where I peek in and stare at it in disbelief. My last P car was a 71 911T, so I am feeling like Porsche has come a long long long way in 38 years. This will be my daily driver until I can justify buying a more practical daily car - so until I hit my first traffic jam (probably Monday morning) the commute is something to look forward to. I may even get up earlier and start taking the long way to work.
Congratulations, I am very happy for you! Use it for your daily driver, you don't need another unless you need back seats for the kids. I think you will find, after driving it for a few 1,000 miles (after you become one with the car), that the small list of items on this car that make it less than perfect for daily driving, will be all but forgotten as you get used to them and the joy of waking up every morning with a GT3 in your cup (the best thing of waking up, is Folgers in your cup; terrible joke I know) consumes you. Even if you buy another daily driver, you will be faced with a decision each morning...."I could take the GT3...." Of course I have no discipline, so maybe I am in the minority here???

Enjoy your GT3; you now own what I consider to be the best car I have ever driven at any price (I mean this to include the entire GT3/RS 997.1 and .2 family).
Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

I peek in and stare at it in disbelief.
Same here, to my eyes the nicest looking porsche, bar the RS.

I also drive it every day and I have other options for daily driving, but never ever took the ones now sold and I never take the truck that I still have, unless something won't fit in the GT3.
Be patient in the morning, let it warm up than take the long way to work, buy a couple of extra chin lips and ignore the ground scraping :-)
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

That's brilliant! Welcome to ze club !
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Unfortunately my own driveway will probably help keep the chin lip manufacturer in business - too steep a drop on the last few feet, probably have to build some type of ramp. Alex - countdown is on until the bypass gets ordered - haha
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately my own driveway will probably help keep the chin lip manufacturer in business - too steep a drop on the last few feet, probably have to build some type of ramp.
Congratulations!

Not to steal the thread, but has anyone tried this?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Great choice, great car.
Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Great choice, great car.
Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately my own driveway will probably help keep the chin lip manufacturer in business - too steep a drop on the last few feet, probably have to build some type of ramp. Alex - countdown is on until the bypass gets ordered - haha
Yep we do tend to kill those a bit... Just make sure you are turning the wheel still when coming out of the driveway. Too often I see people straighten the wheel out and kill the angle (and hence the lip). Luckily they don't cost too much to replace!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Steve - that ramp from Griots sure looks better than the plywood alternative (may keep the neighbors happier). At $350 a pop, I hope to only have to replace it once a year. luckily there are zero speed bumps between home and office!

Quick Reply: PPI done - time to write a big check.... Yikes!