Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OT: 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Our Legislated Cars are safer today....

Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess the witty thing to say would be "I'm not convinced. Repeat the test at least 50,000 more times to remove any sampling error."

I'm also curious to understand whether the '59 had an engine. If the engine was still in the car for the test, it would have been an iron block V8 and maybe half a ton on its own, plus the heft of the transmission, bolted to the diff, all very heavy and not willing to slow down with the rest of the car. The engine would have ended up in the front seat of the Malibu, not miraculously stopped, reversed and sent back through the firewall into the passenger area.

Of course offset frontal collisions are killers even in many new cars today, especially compact sedans and mini-vans for the last 10 years, don't bother going back into the 90's let alone the 50's. Safety standards were aimed squarely at solving the problem of on-coming traffic "drifting" into opposing lanes.

How we still have roads where the primary safety device is painted stripes down the middle of the road, I just can't explain it, but clearly our priorities do not include preventing injuries and deaths from car accidents.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wait, huh? Is there any reason to suspect that they removed the engine from the Bel Air?

I find the results of the video unsurprising but if there's a reason to suspect dishonesty on IIHS's part I'd love to know about it.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Wait, huh? Is there any reason to suspect that they removed the engine from the Bel Air?

I find the results of the video unsurprising but if there's a reason to suspect dishonesty on IIHS's part I'd love to know about it.
The assertion of the test is that the '59 is a coffin and the Malibu would have been just fine ... I contest that the occupants of the 'bu were pulverized by the engine block of the old machine.

I chose a snap shot to illustrate the conflict. It would require some overhead detail and some post-impact dissection to know where that '59 engine went -- even if it was a straight six -- but it looks like it intruded into the cabin of the Malibu.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worse than I expected, too - not that I was betting on the 1959.

The same site has this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IDfP...response_watch

If this guy's analysis is correct (I have no knowledge of 1959 Chevrolets), it sounds like the Bel Air was chosen to demonstrates the difference in design. According to vidieo, the Bel Air has an X-chassis and a straight six, both of which are easily pushed out of the way in an offset crash (based on the design philosophy of the time).
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

59 bel air all day long

Quick Reply: OT: 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu