Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Does anyone know if the sport chron option with "sport" button on the console serves any useful purpose?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Does anyone know if the sport chron option with "sport" button on the console serves any useful purpose?
You get the sport button as standard, just like the 2010 GT3 and MK1 GT3/RS. So the chrono only adds the clock along with the programming features of interior lighting, wipers, etc.. (but that you need nav, so it is chrono plus). So for non-nav cars it should just add the clock.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Elise - I asked because the sport chrono option says "dash mounted chronograph and sport button on the console". My RS had the button and the dash wart was essentially useless. The MK II seems different but the info given on the config site is minimal.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on Mk1

IT did NO configuration saving of any kind unless you ALSO got PCM.

so without PCM it is just a wart.

Sport button is what you need and get for free anyway.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM
340Elise
Banned

Elise - I asked because the sport chrono option says "dash mounted chronograph and sport button on the console". My RS had the button and the dash wart was essentially useless. The MK II seems different but the info given on the config site is minimal.
It is just a typo, which is normal for Porsche's website info. All other models get the sport button with chrono, so I think they just cut and paste sometimes, or simply forget. The price of $690.00 for sport chrono should also give it away. All other models it is around $1,000.00 since it adds the button and software controls to go with it; for the turbo it is almost $2K because it also adds the overboost function. Finally, all other models put the sport chrono in the performance section of options, while for the GT3 it is under audio/communications.

Look at it this way: you know the GT3/RS comes with Porsche's sport exhaust as standard (it is a special version for our cars, but still the same basic idea), which means it has the valves to bypass the side mufflers. And these require the sport button.

Remember too that the sport button sets the TC intervention limit higher and does quicken the throttle response just a bit; not nearly as noticable a change as in the other Porsche models.

For the new GT3/RS, I would assume that the sport button "on" would also do the same for PSM as TC by intervening later.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

With other models like Carreras, Carrera S', Boxsters, Caymans, etc. the sport button changes the throttle map from the gas pedel to open the throttle blade more rapidly.

With the MK1 GT3, the sport button (standard equipment) changes the maps and activates the sport exhaust to give more midrange punch. I haven't seen anythign if the sport button has a function to boost the mid-range on the MKII as it did on the MKI.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Carrera 02 - thanks. I have a 2007 GT3RS and I am familiar with the sport button. On the new MKII the website lacksdetail and it may indeed be a typo. OTOH, it may have something to do with PSM which the new car will have ....

Like most of us, I'd prefer to avoid the useless dash wart.

Best,
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
With other models like Carreras, Carrera S', Boxsters, Caymans, etc. the sport button changes the throttle map from the gas pedel to open the throttle blade more rapidly.

With the MK1 GT3, the sport button (standard equipment) changes the maps and activates the sport exhaust to give more midrange punch. I haven't seen anythign if the sport button has a function to boost the mid-range on the MKII as it did on the MKI.
By Mk1 GT3, do you mean the '99? (Euro) or the 996.2 ('04 US and ROW)?

In the 997.1 ('07-'08) the Sport button is standard and brings in extra mid-range power/torque, but no extra "on top" (peak power is the same.) The Chrono does nothing (absolutely, positively nothing ... useless ... junk ... idiotic pustula ... ) I imagine the 997.2 will be much the same.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Carrera 02 - thanks. I have a 2007 GT3RS and I am familiar with the sport button. On the new MKII the website lacksdetail and it may indeed be a typo. OTOH, it may have something to do with PSM which the new car will have ....

Like most of us, I'd prefer to avoid the useless dash wart.

Best,
Tempted for a new one Bob?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
By Mk1 GT3, do you mean the '99? (Euro) or the 996.2 ('04 US and ROW)?

In the 997.1 ('07-'08) the Sport button is standard and brings in extra mid-range power/torque, but no extra "on top" (peak power is the same.) The Chrono does nothing (absolutely, positively nothing ... useless ... junk ... idiotic pustula ... ) I imagine the 997.2 will be much the same.
MK1 = 997.1
MK2 = 997.2

I am still unsure if the same function for the button exists with the MKII. It is clearly listed and discussed in the MK1 dealer brochure. They even show the additional midrange power on the power graph. None of this exists in the MK2 brochure/"Inner Sanctum" book, which is substantually larger. Hence, I believe there is only 1 tuning to the new engine and the button just opens the valves on the mufflers for more sound.

I forgot about PASM being tied to the Sport button. Sport button also stiffens the shocks.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I forgot about PASM being tied to the Sport button. Sport button also stiffens the shocks.
Only on the Carrera S.
Not tied to PASM on the GT3

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Configurator