SGonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what a soap opera!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't imagine that this (if true) will help their sales... Who wants to buy an orphan?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
gt3_fan
Intermediate

That's strange, I remember seeing a prototype of the new Cayenne from some website just a few weeks ago. It's gonna be a big waste if they really axe the Cayenne, because from the way the prototype looks it seems lots of development funds have already been poured into it.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

wow steve... talk about drama:P!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 AM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by gt3_fan
That's strange, I remember seeing a prototype of the new Cayenne from some website just a few weeks ago. It's gonna be a big waste if they really axe the Cayenne, because from the way the prototype looks it seems lots of development funds have already been poured into it.
Article says after the current "development cycle" is over - 7 years from now. So you'll still see the next generation Cayenne I presume. Whether good or bad, who knows? But I love my Cayenne.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The approximate seven years of life in the current 2010 and 2011 products (including the 991) is both a blink of the eye in vehicle planning cycles and an eternity in corporate communications (especially in the context of investor relations.)

Wendy Wiedeking destroyed the one remaining sports car maker on the planet. May he burn very slowly in hell.

VW will bluster over their stroke of luck and call it "success" and we will all stare in shock at the perfect storm that sunk Porsche while the rest of the world will fret and wring its hands over government-sanctioned predatory consumer credit and lending (cretin cards and home mortgages.)

The VW executives, corporate communications and investor relations will disgrace themselves with this public exhibition of a group reach-around ****.

But let's not suppose they will ignore their spreadsheet-driven work ethic. They'll make as many Panablandas and Cayenne diesel hybrid not-a-minivan's as the customer will buy. They'll continue to put a hatchback (Cayman) body on a cabrio (Boxster) and charge a premium to anyone willing to take the deal. They'll build the same SUV with a Porsche badge at a premium above the middle market (the Audi tier) above the entry market (VW Touareg) and they'll use that mindless model to pollute all their volume production brand products while they keep their halo brands (Bugatti) far out of reach of anyone except the most filthy-rich status-hungry.

So long as margins and profits satisfy their investor expectations, they'll sell, sell, sell. All the while preaching of the Porsche heritage and glory.

I am regrettably pessimistic about this turn of events. I suggest we all enjoy whatever years we have left of real Porsches. If you have the means, perhaps put a nice 911 away for your kids (and a stockpile of stablized petroleum ...)

One day we're dreaming of lightweight track-day enthusiast 911's and the next, we're just hoping they build the thing at all.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh god, regardless of the truth, how can any executive be so stupid as to say something like that. Sounds like a vindictive child.........
Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

I'm reserving judgment for now. Remember Wendy was a profit-hungry potato farmer while Piech has been rolling out halo cars at Bugatti, Audi, and Lamborghini for that last how many years. If it means a new Carrera GT then good on us.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not giving any credit to this one other than a rumor? Why? There are 2 reasons:

1. The Cayenne is highly attributable to the high profits Porsche obtained over the last few years. How many companies do you know that are in business to lose money?
2. VW was heavily involved in the decision to make the Cayenne. Remember that the Cayenne is really a re-skinned Tourag with different engines. It is actually built by VW, so cutting it loose will impact VW's own production facilities.

Personal note: these are the facts not my personal opinion. Personally, I am very disappointed with Porsche deviating from their sports car roots. In 90 or 91, I had a Porsche poster that stated:

'Some manufacturers have a sports car in their lineup, we have a line of sports cars'

This is obviously no longer true.

Quick Reply: Per Car Magazine: Porsche Cayenne, Panamera To Be Axed in VW Takeover