Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Matte Black GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM
adamr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matte Black GT3?

Has anyone seen or matted out their GT3's ... just curious as to how it would look ... saw a matte black 599 today and that was pure sex on wheels!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamr
Has anyone seen or matted out their GT3's ... just curious as to how it would look ... saw a matte black 599 today and that was pure sex on wheels!!!

I've seen a matte black 997 C2S and it looked OK; I think it would look much better on a 3/RS. I have some 1:43 Minichamps models in matte and one is a 997 RSR, definetely looks good.

I do full vehicle wraps and was originally going to do my 09 JCW Mini in Matte black, but will now do it in Ford Racing Stripe White (you can't get a real white for the Mini's from the factory unless they do PTS???).

As for my GT3, I also considered matte black, but everyone is doing that now. I am actually considering wraping it in Riviera Blue or Mexico Blue. What makes it nice is that it also acts as paint protection film for the entire car and allows you to go back to the original color. And any damaged panels from chips or scuffs, etc... can be easily repaired by peeling off the vinyl and re-wraping it. You just want to make sure that you order extra vinyl so that it will be a perfect match.

Biggest problem is finding the time to do it!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

What does it cost to do a full wrap? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
What does it cost to do a full wrap? Just curious.

That depends on the material that you are using. I am currently testing a new product based on a proven cast film. This new technique actually creates the colors by painting a high performance cast vinyl with a 2 stage paint. It is painted in whatever color and then also clear-coated. Depending on the color (and obviously quality and elasticity of the paint), it has a stretch rate anywhere from about 10-20% if I remember correctly.

What is so neat about this process is that it allows you to choose from many pre-selected colors, but you can also choose any custom color (PTS if you will). A PTS order does require a minimum order (one that is enough to do about 3-4 average cars), but may work well if there are a couple of cars that want that color (as mentioned, I would want extra material for perfectly matched repairs years down the road).

Also, it is real paint so it shines like paint, it can be waxed, polished, buffed, etc...

I will test it on my Mini first and provide feedback for those interested. If it does work, then the only limiting factor is the quality of the install (this is where you have to be careful; good installers are hard to find, and you really have to watch out for the butchers!). I consider myself a good installer in that I do not cut into paint (butchers do this), do the installs properly without shortcuts, but most important I know my limitations and will always be honest with a customer if I feel that I am not capable of wraping a certain car or know of difficult areas that I am not comfortable doing. As for longevity of the product, that too remains to be seen. The vinyl used is of excellent quality, but how will the paint hold up on the vinyl over the years and different weather conditions.

Anyway, to answer your question. Wrapping an entire car the size of a modern 911 with regular high performance cast film (not the fancy painted stuff) can range from $2K to $5K including material and labor. Anything less than $2K will most likely be cheap material and questionable work. Even at $2K I would be concerned. Obviously the sky is the limit on anything, and prices can far exceed $5K if you need to fly in a team of installers or have a very special color and/or difficult car to wrap.

The painted material costs at least twice as much as regular high performance cast film, so it probably ranges closer to $3K-$6K for a complete car the size of a 911. If it is PTS, then I would add another $1K.

My Mini will cost me $800.00 to $1K in material (for the painted stuff) plus my labor. I would probably charge $3-$4k to do a GT3 depending on if it is regular vinyl or painted.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

matte black car

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

some more

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
matte black car
Me likey! Is it painted or wrapped though? Some parts have to be painted such as the door handles, but those can easily be bought from Porsche, and the originals saved.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
joeacc
Instructor

Mine is painted.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Nice weapon Joe.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,262 Likes on 611 Posts

I did the CGT in flat black wrap and for less than 4k I am super stoked. everyone is blown away when they see it in person, oddly enough it looks the best at night.

if you're thinking about doing it, just remember IT IS REVERSIBLE AND PROTECTS THE PAINT!

looks better than clear bra for about twice the price...except instead of just your front end you get the whole damn thing covered.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

love em' all guys! thx fo the pics!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PJS- what is that car in the middle with yellow headlights ("#437")? That is crazy! The military style stenciling is awesome.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats a 996GT3RSR race car.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by joeacc
Mine is painted.
Very nice!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
PJS- what is that car in the middle with yellow headlights ("#437")? That is crazy! The military style stenciling is awesome.

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Thats a 996GT3RSR race car.
yep 996RSR
Mini D Hinkle took the pic
to date one of my favorites of all time

Quick Reply: Matte Black GT3?