Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ferrari withdraws from US market

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009 | 05:30 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
I don't like the headlights or the grille, or really the front much at all, but I don't think it's a disaster.
+1. I keep thinking they are going to fill those holes next to the lights!

Personally - I major issue with the car is that it is going to be $300K!!
Old 08-27-2009 | 06:13 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Don't snap a crank. I quoted a post from page 1 of this thread.
Too late!

Greg A
Old 08-27-2009 | 06:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I love it. I'd have sex with every bit of it.

But, once the slammin' is over and cigarette is lit, I'd bring a Lamborghini LP560-4 home to introduce to the family... Ferrari is just too "special".
Old 08-27-2009 | 06:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those are the first photos I've seen of the Italia in yellow.

Funny, I like the car better from behind in yellow, but don't like the front end as much in yellow as I do in red. Weird.
Old 08-28-2009 | 03:00 AM
hesperus
Racer

yeah when the first pics of this car were released, i was drooling all over it...

now, the more i see it, especially these latest pics, the less i like it. it seems to have a japanese aesthetic to it-- which is not a knock on japanese design, just a statement about how this Ferrari doesn't seem as "Italian" as previous cars.

stylistically, the comparison to the Enzo is valid... which could be a bad thing. The Enzo is a hypercar, so one almost expects it to be extreme in terms of its design. but the Italia is should IMO be a Ferrari in the classic sense-- performance as well as natural style and elegance.

this one does seem a bit overdone

having said all that, the first time i see one in the metal, i'd probably trip over my own tongue!
Old 08-28-2009 | 04:05 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hesperus
yeah when the first pics of this car were released, i was drooling all over it...

now, the more i see it, especially these latest pics, the less i like it. it seems to have a japanese aesthetic to it-- which is not a knock on japanese design, just a statement about how this Ferrari doesn't seem as "Italian" as previous cars.

stylistically, the comparison to the Enzo is valid... which could be a bad thing. The Enzo is a hypercar, so one almost expects it to be extreme in terms of its design. but the Italia is should IMO be a Ferrari in the classic sense-- performance as well as natural style and elegance.

this one does seem a bit overdone

having said all that, the first time i see one in the metal, i'd probably trip over my own tongue!
Well said. The car is overdone. Ferrari doesn't have a "classic" that will go into the pages of history as one of the great ones. And I have to remain open to the prospect of, as you put it, tripping over my own tongue the first time I see one in the metal.

For what it's worth, I think the California is 2x more appealing in person than in its photographs, but the California falls short in the details (from the completely useless rear seats that are nothing more than somewhere to throw the shopping bags from the designer stores, to the ridiculously cheesey, plastic headlights with the battlestar gallactica design and the Kia/Hyundai cheap and flimsy plastic cabin trim, controls and "touch points.") You just can't raise the price to US$200K for the new "entry level" Ferrari at the same time as delivering it with components that would make a Lexus designer cringe at the cost cutting and the trashy appearance.

All these criticisms in context, I have deep and unshakeable respect for Ferrari and I still hold hope that there will be another Ferrari for enthusiasts -- the lightweight, affordable car with exceptional handling, no froufrou options and intended for the track day and the weekend driver. This becomes ironically all the more important now that Porsche has met its demise ... and we've seen what happens to the likes of other great marques when VW takes overs.
Old 08-28-2009 | 06:06 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

It looks good from every profile except the front. At 300k the car has to look esthetically perfect otherwise fugget about it.
Old 08-28-2009 | 09:10 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

After reading this entire thread and repeatedly reviewing the photos of this 458, I can't help but think that Ferrari took a fair amount of design cues from the "now defunct" Acura HSC Concept car that appeared as far back as late '06.

http://www.motorcities.com/media/ima...ept-Car-A.jpeg

The 458, as did the 430, has a Japanese look to it.

For $300k, I'd rather have a new ('10) RS and a used '07-'08 Cup car..... my cake and eat it too ........
Old 08-29-2009 | 11:48 AM
TTRob
Instructor

Offering advanced aerodynamics and classically beautiful curves/lines isn't easy (not to mention meeting modern safety requirements). Ferrari/Pininfarina stylists can't really design with their hearts anymore (not for the exterior, at least). That era is gone with the wind.

I like the Italia's profile, but the front does look a bit weird (and the back to a certain extent). However, I have always liked Ferraris better in person than in photos, so I'll reserve final judgment until I see one.

Anyway, I hope it's a successful model for Ferrari. The performance looks fantastic.
Old 08-29-2009 | 12:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldGuy
THREE tail pipes? How does the engineer justify that?
I see 2 tail pipes not 3.
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:51 PM
JS
Race Car

FORZA ITALIA !
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:54 PM
JS
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Ferrari doesn't have a "classic" that will go into the pages of history as one of the great ones.
I think they have several. Are you as clueless as you sound?

What would you call a 250 GTO to name just one?
Old 08-31-2009 | 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinS
I think they have several. Are you as clueless as you sound?

What would you call a 250 GTO to name just one?
I'm writing in the context of the current and 2010 model year products.

Quick Reply: Ferrari withdraws from US market