Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smoking Startup question (again)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 AM
adamr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking Startup question (again)

The car gives that puff of thick white smoke on startup (not a lot) ... now i know this has been stated as being normal for the boxer motors ... thing is mine did it yesterday when starting her up drove her for about 20km, this morning started her up again and to move her out the garage she let off a puff, and then 45 minutes later to move her back in the garage she puffed again ... its just that initial puff and then no smoke ...

would this still be considered as normal?
(sorry maybe im just being a pedantic child about the car )

The car is a 2007 GT3 RS
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Relax, it's normal. If it smokes once running, particularly when accelerating, that would be cause for concern.

Welcome to the forum. Are you the dude I met at the GT3 launch on Tuesday night?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
adamr
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Relax, it's normal. If it smokes once running, particularly when accelerating, that would be cause for concern.

Welcome to the forum. Are you the dude I met at the GT3 launch on Tuesday night?
yes i am ... your RS looks lovely ... its looks brand new ... no plates i see
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I'm just curious, but next time when you park the car, let it idle for 1 minute before shutting it off. Then see if that puff of smoke happens on startup the next time you drive it.

Cheers,
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I've never found a pattern to when it smokes. It's the occasional machine-gun rattle that freaks me out more than the smoke.

Adam, the pics of my car are 3 years old from when I bought it. It still looks brand new (although I've put 36,000 km on it) but it has plates now.

How about pics of your car?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I've never found a pattern to when it smokes.
If I do the 1 min idle thing then I don't get the occasional puff of smoke on startup anymore.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:30 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I find that if the car is started from cold and then shut off very soon after, I sometimes have trouble starting it the next day. So I tend to let it run for a while before shutting off if cold. I doubt any of this is important though.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iv'e only had mine for 4 weeks (but 2600 miles). It only seems to do this after the car has been sitting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours after being driven. In each case, it was after stopping for a meal. On the following startup, there is a lot of smoke for 3-6 seconds, then everything is fine. It looks like oil (or hydraulic fluid) smoke, but doesn't smell like it or too much fuel. There is no unusual engine sound.

It doesn't do it on cold start in the morning, whether garaged or left outside, and it doesn't do it after the 3-5 minutes of fueling.

The dealer told me it is condensation, but one of these occurrences was in West Texas at 15% humidity and 105 degrees.

It's seems odd for a modern smog-legal car, but everyone says that it's normal... and the car is still under warranty, so I just keep an eye on it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Iv'e only had mine for 4 weeks (but 2600 miles). It only seems to do this after the car has been sitting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours after being driven. In each case, it was after stopping for a meal. On the following startup, there is a lot of smoke for 3-6 seconds, then everything is fine. It looks like oil (or hydraulic fluid) smoke, but doesn't smell like it or too much fuel. There is no unusual engine sound.

It doesn't do it on cold start in the morning, whether garaged or left outside, and it doesn't do it after the 3-5 minutes of fueling.

The dealer told me it is condensation, but one of these occurrences was in West Texas at 15% humidity and 105 degrees.

It's seems odd for a modern smog-legal car, but everyone says that it's normal... and the car is still under warranty, so I just keep an eye on it.
Your description sounds a little different from the occasional puff of smoke at cold startup. Still doesn't sound like anything to worry about, though, as long as everything's normal when driving.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
adamr
Advanced

I've never found a pattern to when it smokes. It's the occasional machine-gun rattle that freaks me out more than the smoke.

Adam, the pics of my car are 3 years old from when I bought it. It still looks brand new (although I've put 36,000 km on it) but it has plates now.

How about pics of your car?
yes will put some up (me searches for a "garage" section on the forum)

The car definitely does not smoke when driving, under any condition be it accelerating or just normal driving ... and its just that initial puff (lingering white smoke) ... does it on every cold start-up ... i have gotten in the habit of letting the car idle for about a minute or two after some spirited driving, but it will without fail smoke on a cold start-up ... its just that everyone has noted it happening occasionally, and mines is pretty much every-time
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

according to the dealer wll happen for the first 5000-7000 miles, till engine full breaks in. don't worry. also make sure you keep an eye on the oil level.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Do you drive the car hard (high rpms) and not let it idle or run at lower rpms for a couple of minutes before you shut it off?
2. Do you park on an incline?

I typically get and see smoke regular after driving the car and shutting down without an extended cooldown. It is very common when starting up after a track session. When parking on inclines and sutting the car off, oil can settle in the heads and smoke at startup. If neither of these are the case and it is regularly, you might want to check the compression. It sounds like the rings are loosening up.

Speedgeek,

How old are your plugs? You might want to check them. From your description on running for a short time and having problems starting the next day, sounds like fouled plugs.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Speedgeek,

How old are your plugs? You might want to check them. From your description on running for a short time and having problems starting the next day, sounds like fouled plugs.
Interesting. My car gets serviced as required, the last one about 9 months, 5k miles ago. I'll tell them to check plugs at the next service.

Johannesburg is at 6,000 feel altitude. There are a number of undesirable effects of the thin air. Cold starting could easily be one of them. Anyway, it rarely happens and just needs a couple extra cranks of the key when it does happen.

Now if I could just convince Porsche that we should get an 18% discount for the 18% power loss up here...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Iv'e only had mine for 4 weeks (but 2600 miles).
Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cr207
according to the dealer wll happen for the first 5000-7000 miles, till engine full breaks in. don't worry. also make sure you keep an eye on the oil level.
With 26k mi I still get the big blue cloud on occasion,
as well I'm treated to the machine gun rattle on cold start-up every so often.

Quick Reply: Smoking Startup question (again)