Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:34 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The 996 RS is a good example. It's my understanding that it was originally produced purely for homologation, about 200 of them. Then when demand rocketed, they built hundreds more. It never came to the US because of DOT regs.

But in fact it did come to the US - as a 997; The reason the 997 RS was built US-legal is because of the huge popularity of the 996 version.

It would be not only stupid, but irresponsible, of Porsche to NOT build enough to satisfy demand. Why would they do that? I can understand it for a one-off special like the CGT, but why the GT3 RS?
I don't think it is stupid for Porsche to limit the build on specialty cars. It's part of the process and the experience. If they over-produce, and therefore devalue the residuals, they certainly will lose some sales, create less demand and could possibly create a more risky GT program altogether. While not a CGT, the RS is a special car. It would not be smart to mass produce a specialty item. You'll end up over-satisfying your demand, killing the residual values and having to lower your prices to sell all of them. It isn't worth the risk to try and make just enough cars to meet what you think might be the demand. It's the same reason you don't see ten million $500 rolex watches floating around.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with ZBB, However it is obvious Porsche builds cars to make Big margins on them so it is important for them to maintain image and exclusivity. A recent targeted survey from Porsche asked about the Term Turbo (what it means to the consumer: power? exclusivity, rarity etc....) they know that with the overproduction of so many 996 units that they have diluted it and that most previous owners may actually never again(me included) buy another Turbo after painfully realizing that that unique car has fallen like a brick in value.
So It would be bad business descion to mass produce a highly sought after model and dillute the brand.
That is what the Swatch group is trying to do by bidding in acuctions on their own Omega watch and paying over a $100000. for it to reestablish the brand as a luxury not as a mass production and they do not seem to be succeeding.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I don't think it is stupid for Porsche to limit the build on specialty cars. It's part of the process and the experience. If they over-produce, and therefore devalue the residuals, they certainly will lose some sales, create less demand and could possibly create a more risky GT program altogether. While not a CGT, the RS is a special car. It would not be smart to mass produce a specialty item. You'll end up over-satisfying your demand, killing the residual values and having to lower your prices to sell all of them. It isn't worth the risk to try and make just enough cars to meet what you think might be the demand. It's the same reason you don't see ten million $500 rolex watches floating around.
Rolex watches are hand built by specialized craftsmen (craftswomen, whatever). There's a limit to how many they can make. And they last forever becoming family heirlooms. And they're expensive for what you're getting, which is ultimately what limits demand. A Rolex is something precious and (ironically) timeless.

Porsche has the CGT as their Rolex. There is nothing intrinsically special about the GT3 or RS. They are not made of exotic materials, they do not have bespoke bodywork... They are just part of the 911 range.

I believe it's nothing more than the huge wing and wild livery that made the 997.1 RS seem like something special. Which is why I find it so strange that this time around the wild graphics are drawing such fire on the forums.

As far as residuals go, they last for only as long as there is no newer model available. Which is why 997.1 residuals are about to fall off a cliff as soon as the new cars hit the streets. These are mass produced items that get replaced by newer models every couple three years. They are not CGTs, and they are not Rolexes.

If Porsche's factory is running at full capacity, I could see them limiting RS production. But as long as their overall sales remain weak, they will build cars for every customer willing to write a check.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,098 Likes on 2,871 Posts

I believe it's nothing more than the huge wing and wild livery that made the 997.1 RS seem like something special. Which is why I find it so strange that this time around the wild graphics are drawing such fire on the forums.
I don't think people are objecting to the notion of wild graphics. These graphics just don't look as cool as the other ones (which were rooted in the nostalgia of the 73RS).
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
I don't think people are objecting to the notion of wild graphics. These graphics just don't look as cool as the other ones (which were rooted in the nostalgia of the 73RS).
But people are even complaining about the wing supports. They look totally functional to me. Why are they "ricer"?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

But people are even complaining about the wing supports. They look totally functional to me. Why are they "ricer"?
I'm fine with the wing supports. I'd take one with Silver paint and Red wheels and wing endplates and the old (996 and 997.1) "GT3RS" graphics in the old location (along the bottom of the car). Of course, this is easily done (if they let you paint the car Silver).
Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rolex watches are hand built by specialized craftsmen (craftswomen, whatever). There's a limit to how many they can make. And they last forever becoming family heirlooms. And they're expensive for what you're getting, which is ultimately what limits demand. A Rolex is something precious and (ironically) timeless.

Porsche has the CGT as their Rolex. There is nothing intrinsically special about the GT3 or RS. They are not made of exotic materials, they do not have bespoke bodywork... They are just part of the 911 range.

As far as residuals go, they last for only as long as there is no newer model available. Which is why 997.1 residuals are about to fall off a cliff as soon as the new cars hit the streets. These are mass produced items that get replaced by newer models every couple three years. They are not CGTs, and they are not Rolexes.

If Porsche's factory is running at full capacity, I could see them limiting RS production. But as long as their overall sales remain weak, they will build cars for every customer willing to write a check.
If you really think that Rolex isn't capable of producing watches on a larger scale, then I doubt you'll understand the concept of premium brand economics and their relationship to supply and demand.

I don't see any other naturally aspirated 911 made like the RS or at the performance level that the RS is at a stock level. They kindof makes it special in my neck of the woods.

Lastly, the turbo vs the RS is a great example. Look at the difference in numbers produced and then look at residual values even before any new model was announced. Look at the numbers available for sale. Turbos dipped below 100K very quickly for an 07. I don't recall seeing but a couple of high mileage RS's graze below 100K. I had my RS 2 years and had 7k on it. When I sold it, I took an 8% hit on the value vs new, even in a bad economy when things are at the worst. Sounds pretty special to me.

Dude, if you don't like the new RS, fine, keep your old one. I just don't think you have a good understanding of economics and how it affects production numbers. I'm just glad I can get mine at MSRP. A whole lot more car than the 996 RS IMHO.

Oh and BTW, look at the residuals on a CGT these days and percentages vs new.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

I'm fine with the wing supports. I'd take one with Silver paint and Red wheels and wing endplates and the old (996 and 997.1) "GT3RS" graphics in the old location (along the bottom of the car). Of course, this is easily done (if they let you paint the car Silver).
I was thinking the same, but leaving the car white..
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That would be my second choice
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Dude, if you don't like the new RS, fine, keep your old one. I just don't think you have a good understanding of economics and how it affects production numbers. I'm just glad I can get mine at MSRP. A whole lot more car than the 996 RS IMHO.
What are you talking about? I think this new car is going to kick my 996's *** in so many ways. It's the 997.1 that I found slightly dissapointing as an upgrade from the 996. But not nearly as dissapointing as I find the hoards of people who bought them for entirely the wrong reason. That used to be the domain of Ferrari buyers, not Porsche.

Regarding economics, I fully understand how this stuff works. I'm only disagreeing with the idea that Porsche will refuse to build cars for customers with check books ready in this current economic climate.

And I also disagree with the idea that you can compare an RS to a Rolex. Rolexes don't depreciate when a new model is introduced. An RS, OTOH, becomes yesterday's news as soon as a new model arrives (not for us enthusiasts, but for the hoards I mentioned above). If Porsche cared about residuals they would not have made the 997.2. They did not make a CGT.2. And when they do it will be an entirely different car. The RS is mass produced for profit.

Let's see what happens to 997.1 prices and desirability in the coming months.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess the people saying the RS is exclusive are the ones that plan to get one. I had NO trouble getting this at MSRP.

The old RS is going to fall of a cliff as soon as the new one comes out and so on and so fourth.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've been driving only white cars since 1998, and I still love white. But I have to say I'm a bit ga-ga for the new gray color. I would probably remove the decal off the rear fender, but otherwise I love it.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by va122

The old RS is going to fall of a cliff as soon as the new one comes out and so on and so fourth.

All the more reason not to store these cars thinking they will hold value. I need to drive mine more.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM
flash1034
Pro

I've been driving only white cars since 1998, and I still love white. But I have to say I'm a bit ga-ga for the new gray color. I would probably remove the decal off the rear fender, but otherwise I love it.
Me too. I love the gray. I too will likely take to fender decals off but LOVE the rest of the car.

Flash
Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

wife saw the grey as one of my background images and she really likes it now. damn, white is in danger.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 RS