Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: GT3RS- Plans to Purchase?
Already made your deposit? (You are officially "on the list")
41.67%
Waiting for dealer to advise of allocation to decide?
6.48%
Waiting for 2010 when builds begin to decide?
0.93%
No Interest-Can't afford or justify/Hate the colors too much? :-)
37.04%
Maybe...Maybe...Maybe...
12.96%
Do you expect to pay over MSRP?
1.85%
Do you expect to pay at MSRP?
24.07%
Do you expect to pay under MSRP?
6.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Plans to Order GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009 | 06:42 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

i'm #1 on list at msrp. it would be us spec but i live in germany. i expect to pick it up in march...unless manthey convinces me to do the 4.0 conversion on my 997.1 :-)
Old 08-21-2009 | 01:15 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

#1 to go, at MSRP.
Had my deposit down for 3 years.
Old 08-21-2009 | 01:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
So, what are YOUR plans? Buy ASAP? Maybe, determine when released in 2010? Never? If you could afford/justify it? Deposit already made?

My deposit went down yesterday.
I had a deposit down (3rd in line) at a local bay area dealer, once I saw the
color schemes I pulled out ... I am not dropping the best part of $150k on
a car that looks like a kid could buy off a shelf @ Walmart ...

Will probably spec a '10 GT3 instead ...
Old 08-21-2009 | 01:30 PM
grussell
Pro

No reason to drop 150k when I have a 2007 RS. Waiting to see what happens.
Old 08-21-2009 | 02:50 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grussell
No reason to drop 150k when I have a 2007 RS. Waiting to see what happens.
That's how I feel.
Old 08-21-2009 | 05:31 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
That's how I feel.
Why, because of the looks?
Or do you really think is not a (significantly) mechanically superior machine to your MKI RS?
Old 08-21-2009 | 05:53 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Or do you really think is not a (significantly) mechanically superior machine to your MKI RS?
I'd buy one in a second graphics and all if I already didn't have mine. The new car is both better in performance and value than the 997.1 RS. My only reason for not buying is the money I'd have to pay to upgrade which I can't reasonably justify.
Old 08-21-2009 | 05:56 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by cgomez
I agree it is superior to the MKI but I am starting to have a hard time seeing the value in a new Porsche. With the current economic environment many used high end cars have become a bargain. 150k+ for a new RS is just not worth it to me. I would rather buy a nice used 997 GT3 or TT and save the difference and suffer much less deprecation.

I just bought a brand new fully loaded M3 for 67k. It has a sweet 4.0l V8 with individual throttle bodies and an incredible Double Clutch transmission. The new RS is not worth twice that at 150k+

I'll buy a GT2 or a MKII RS after someone else takes the big hit just to have the newest shinny toy on the block.

But, just to be clear. I think the new RS rocks, graphics and all! I would pick white, what else
Old 08-21-2009 | 06:20 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

I just bought a brand new fully loaded M3 for 67k. It has a sweet 4.0l V8 with individual throttle bodies and an incredible Double Clutch transmission.
In late April I bought a new E90 M3 loaded except a manual. The M3 is an incredible value, especially with the price I paid.
Old 08-21-2009 | 06:41 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

I agree it is superior to the MKI but I am starting to have a hard time seeing the value in a new Porsche. With the current economic environment many used high end cars have become a bargain. 150k+ for a new RS is just not worth it to me. I would rather buy a nice used 997 GT3 or TT and save the difference and suffer much less deprecation.

I just bought a brand new fully loaded M3 for 67k. It has a sweet 4.0l V8 with individual throttle bodies and an incredible Double Clutch transmission. The new RS is not worth twice that at 150k+

I'll buy a GT2 or a MKII RS after someone else takes the big hit just to have the newest shinny toy on the block.

But, just to be clear. I think the new RS rocks, graphics and all! I would pick white, what else
Ah, OK. Yes, buying any new car has never been a smart investment decision. Cars depreciate and are a expense item. It just a matter of matching what you can afford, are willing to spend, with what you need/want. And to most people having the better, newest model is part of it. Any $ spent beyond a $15K transportation appliance is for pure pleasure (and what you spend is not the sticker price but what it depreciates + what it costs to maintain. Despite the high sticker prices, Porsches are the "cheapest" cars at their "price" range).

IMO, if I wanted a track car only, I would choose a 997 Cup over the new MKII RS. But as a street/track car the new RS seems awesome (still need to drive one to confirm). Yes, there are a lot of cheaper Fastish street cars but that's not the point (Same case, as to why someone bothers buying a $300K Scuderia). The only rationale $ comparison points for an RS are vs the base GT3: Is it "worth" the premium? Now, with the MKII is a no-brainer compared to that decision with the MKI, which was just a widebody and pretty colors: 99% marketing..)
Old 08-21-2009 | 08:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I guess I should go try the dual-clutch in the M3, but I don't think you can compare an $70K car with a $140K car. I just got into a loaded C4S Cab with PDK and the gearbox is just too much fun.

I certainly share your thoughts of getting a GT2 or a .1 RS and update the suspension (and throw in a 3.9 from Sharkwerks ...)

Porsche, like Ferrari, wants to have their cake and eat it; they have a double standard; they're asking for their early adopter customers to both take a huge hit on the secondary market as well as pay up for the new RS.

The only thing discouraging me from the RS is the prospect of Porsche wanting to win on both ends of the deal.
Old 08-21-2009 | 08:50 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess I should go try the dual-clutch in the M3, but I don't think you can compare an $70K car with a $140K car.
Why not? We compare the RS to 300k cars
Old 08-21-2009 | 11:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Why not? We compare the RS to 300k cars
"We" sounds like a lot of people ... "I" don't compare the RS to $300K cars ... anyway, what $300K cars? I can't think of a one.

I really can't think of a direct competitor to the .2 RS ... the Scuderia? It just doesn't seem to make sense to compare other than perhaps to sell magazines to teenagers. Does the Scuderia have a 'ring time?
Old 08-22-2009 | 12:49 AM
Intermediate

#1 at my dealer..although I'm going to try and get a discount. White and I'm going deviating color (the grey/black of the mk2 RS for the contrasting color). I hate the rear wing supports, even my wife commented on how ugly they looked. The graphics are beyond belief. Those cannot be the results of professional designers. I was really pissed at first, now I'm just disappointed. The pain has been lessened because as I was shoveling rock (yes, rock) I had plenty of time to think about how great the car is going to be. I'm really excited about it now.

I'm going to track it extensively. Lightweight headlights (if they're not standard), sport chrono, a few bits of carbon fiber, for sure the gear shift, I want to go CF center tunnel but can I justify the 1600?

Steel brakes. XM radio would be great because I like driving my cars on road trips and sat radio is a big plus, however to get XM you have to get nav. Is XM worth 4 grand? Oh...and Euro delivery.

I prefer the looks of the GT3 to the RS because of the wing and graphics, but I like hard core. The single mass flywheel and the wider front track got me. I'll ditch the graphics or design my own. I got rid of the graphics via Photoshop and it looked a bit naked. A checkered flag motif???? I'm starting to get pissed again..
Old 08-22-2009 | 01:15 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997810
#1 at my dealer..although I'm going to try and get a discount. White and I'm going deviating color (the grey/black of the mk2 RS for the contrasting color). I hate the rear wing supports, even my wife commented on how ugly they looked. The graphics are beyond belief. Those cannot be the results of professional designers. I was really pissed at first, now I'm just disappointed. The pain has been lessened because as I was shoveling rock (yes, rock) I had plenty of time to think about how great the car is going to be. I'm really excited about it now.

I'm going to track it extensively. Lightweight headlights (if they're not standard), sport chrono, a few bits of carbon fiber, for sure the gear shift, I want to go CF center tunnel but can I justify the 1600?

Steel brakes. XM radio would be great because I like driving my cars on road trips and sat radio is a big plus, however to get XM you have to get nav. Is XM worth 4 grand? Oh...and Euro delivery.

I prefer the looks of the GT3 to the RS because of the wing and graphics, but I like hard core. The single mass flywheel and the wider front track got me. I'll ditch the graphics or design my own. I got rid of the graphics via Photoshop and it looked a bit naked. A checkered flag motif???? I'm starting to get pissed again..
I think the designers are younger than the buyers and appealing to a marketing target that's larger than the actual buyer target. After all, this is a halo car in very limited numbers, all of which will sell. The factory might have embarked upon some design ideas that were "relevant" in the context of idiots buying the .1 RS at $220K, but the current MSRP clearly sends the message that the factory is aware of the limits in the 911 brand (and the demoralizing failure of the GT2 to carry the brand higher ... hell, I'm sure some GT2 buyers paid less than some Turbo Cabrio buyers ... is Porsche "performance" or "luxury" ... there is no "both" answer.)

It seems these days that a plastic "wrap" of the car is de rigueur for track or distance drivers wanting their cars to stay in presentable condition. So I see a boon in colored film. I'll be going perhaps with something conservative, but I could well see myself going to the advertising companies and getting wrapped with a screen print of something interesting ... perhaps a Nurburgring map "draped" over the whole body? Perhaps photos of historical RS cars? Enlarged signatures of the great drivers in RS "giant killers"? Any number of historical livery copies? I think we're seeing the manufacturers deliver "new" aesthetics that don't work in the eye of the "old" buyers (you know, the ones with the actual cash resources to buy the cars, not just admire or criticize them?) This disconnect between the car for sale and the eye of the buyer along with the ready availability of paint film application companies leads me to expect that there will be growth in demand and sales of "tribute" paint film and custom design paint film.

ps. Don't get sport chrono unless it turns out to have some specific performance feature -- it's bloody junk and quite literally dangerous to even think about the think when you're on the track. SPORT CHRONO IS JUNK!

Quick Reply: Plans to Order GT3RS?