Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS Graphics Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone at Porsche needs to be kicked in the nuts really, really hard. Then they need to be fired.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would reserve judgement until you see the real car in the flesh. I personally like the red on the dark grey, but I would tone it down by getting rid of the red lips and wheels. I would make the wheels black and lips body color.

Porsche should make the lips and wheels an optional color choice among three base choices at no charge (red, black, body color). Any other colors would be at additional cost.

The GT3 RS side stripes and fender logos should be decals that come with the car uninstalled; and then should be installed by the dealer at no extra charge if the customer wants them on the car.

The mirror housings and end plates can always be purchased from Porsche and then painted whatever color you want (so as to preserve the original painted parts).
Old 08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
Someone at Porsche needs to be kicked in the nuts really, really hard. Then they need to be fired.
^
+100

Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Silver wheels are optional, and the decals are not painted on, so the mirrors, wing tips and lip should be an easy change.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Silver wheels are optional, and the decals are not painted on, so the mirrors, wing tips and lip should be an easy change.
I think the silver wheels as a second set would make sense (keep the colorful items in the box for resale.)

I'm warming to the idea of a white one and let a trusted 3M paint protection company install a tinted film to change the lips/mirrors/wing verticals to something different. Maybe a full body wrap in chartreuse? : )
Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
Yeh! It should be the retard who approved and signed off on these color schemes that should be fired for not kicking the designer that suggested these colors in the NUTS! lol
Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Look back 20 yrs to models from the late 80s.

911, 928 & 944 IIRC
I know but you would think they would have learned. I can not wait for the mint green body with purple interior
Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Don't like the Red lip...
Your other choice is White Gold Metallic...

That area may be painted as well, like the mirrors and endplates
It's a sad day for Porsche to compare the RS to the Panableccha, but I can only hope that these colors all look a lot better in the metal. That "White Gold Metallic" is a disgusting sour custard wet fart in the face of sports cars enthusiasts (sorry for the visual.) If Porsche thinks an RS buyer wants this kind of nonsense, I think they're completely upside down -- RS buyers want lightweight cars with advances in handling, stopping and power -- I don't want "look at the idiot who bought the cat puke 911" aesthetics.

These idiotic paint schemes might excite the "when I grow up" future buyers and the younger buyer, but what's the real demographic of an RS buyer? Late 30's? Early 40's? The fluorescent green and orange didn't hold resale (white did) for the current 997.1 RS, so there's little debate over where the buyers will vote with their dollars. I don't see even a plain black example in the RS line-up. Silver?

Well, let's just wait and see what the order guide holds. Hopefully the added premium over the GT3 includes the engine mounts and nose lift.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It includes the engine mounts, but not the nose lift that's optional.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
The GT3 RS side stripes and fender logos should be decals that come with the car uninstalled; and then should be installed by the dealer at no extra charge if the customer wants them on the car.
I wouldn't trust the dealer to install the stickers -- I'd rather it come as written by the factory, then get a paint film company to cover up whatever I don't want to see.

I'm somewhat surprised, given the Carrera cabin trim options, that there's not a candy apple red leather cabin trim option. Why not just get Andy Warhol to throw paint at the whole car with the windows down as it rolls off the production line?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get Andy Warhol to throw paint at the whole car with the windows down as it rolls off the production line?
I think that would be an improvement, even in his current state.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say the door pulls are a bit hokey as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Rumor has it that Chris Bangle had input on the design
Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
I can see the Order Guide option now:
Leather Door Pulls $600
Sorta like a key ring

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche917K

Totally. All they did is use the same basic panel without the regular door pulls and put those in place. It is very gimmicky. It looks like something that could be retrofitted to any 997 door. The door speakers make it really bad.

I would like to know how much lighter they are; maybe: (stock door pulls plus hardware) - (leather pulls with hardware) = 5 ounces ????

Quick Reply: GT3RS Graphics Conundrum