Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MY10 GT3RS First Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>> Also, why no PDK option?

This is not a surprise. Porsche always said there will be no PDK in the GT3 / RS. It's too heavy and it was not designed to work with the Metzger engine.

I'm sure this car will be amazing. And this time there is definitely far more differentiation from the GT3.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default US Press Release

- Press Release -
Porsche Readies Most Dynamic 911 to Date; 2010 911 GT3 RS
19 August 2009
Porsche rolls out the definitive track ready, street legal 911

ATLANTA -- Delivering even more engine power, lower weight and shorter transmission ratios, as well as upgraded body and suspension components than all previous GT3s, the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS sets the foundation for homologating the race version of the 911 GT3 and will be introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show September 17-27, 2009.

The heart of the new, uncompromising GT3 RS is the power unit. Like the engine featured in the 911 GT3, the naturally-aspirated RS power unit now displaces 3.8 liters and delivers even more power, while revving up even faster to its 8500 rpm redline. It now delivers 450 horsepower, 15 more horsepower than its 911 GT3 counterpart. Even with a specific output of more than 118 hp per liter from the six-cylinder boxer engine, the power unit in the new GT3 RS remains fully suitable for everyday use.

The new 911 GT3 RS comes exclusively with a six-speed manual gearbox optimized for short gearshift travel, low weight and high efficiency. To enhance the level of performance throughout the entire range of engine and road speed, the transmission comes with shorter ratios than found in the 911 GT3, deliberately conceding an even higher potential top track speed.

Dynamic engine mounts are standard and serve to improve the car's handling to an even higher level. Depending on driving conditions, the mounts change in their stiffness and damping effect, improving the connection between the engine and the body when driving under very lively conditions, yet allow for more comfortable conditions during everyday street use.

Porsche is also introducing another new option in 2010 for the GT3 RS, a lithium-ion battery. Delivered with the car and, when replacing the conventional lead-acid battery, it reduces the weight by more than 10 kg or 22 lb and is mainly intended for the track.

To further improve its sporting behavior, the new 911 GT3 RS comes with a purpose-built and specially set up PASM suspension, a wider front and rear track and corresponding bodywork.

The front axle comes with nine-inch-wide wheels running on 245/35 ZR 19 sports tires while the rear axle features twelve-inch-wide wheels incorporating 325/30 ZR 19 sports tires.

The new 911 GT3 RS shows its close connection to motorsport through its dynamic looks, in particular by its low ride height, the new, extra large carbon-fiber rear wing and titanium exhaust system.

The 2010 911 GT3 RS goes on sale in the U.S. in early spring of 2010 and will be priced at $132,800.
- GO -
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
drknauf
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Like the added features with the new RS- great to see increased power, greater focus on downforce and handling etc. The technical package is fantastic as is the greater differentiation to the gt3...

The esthetic package on the other hand is a let down... Color offerings are dissapointing... The white/red is great, the grey/red is ok-ish the blue variants suck... Mental note to the Porsche stylists- No point in using "stealth colors" if you are going to hang bright red/gold parts and a 1 foot high wing on a car... Orange, green would have looked heaps better or if wanting to be different, riviera blue or other out-there colors that better suit the purpose...

I'm betting that the wing will deter those who normally buy an RS for show and not for its intended track use.... Man that thing is big!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

US Webspecial.

http://flash.porsche.com/microsite/9...ithLogin=false
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
drknauf
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yep and:
-Higher compression engine (+15hp)
Nothing about higher compression in press release. Ti exhaust, larger ram air, and likely software tweak are enough to get the 15hp gain.

Also, split wishbones on rear but nothing about RSR front suspension. About the only thing from pre-release rumors that appears not to have come through in final product.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't like the 'lipstick' front graphic, but the side stripes look good. I think I'd like the gold decals better, but I'd have to see it in person. Although a better car no doubt than the 997.1 RS, I'll be keeping mine at least until the next version comes.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarekN
The rear wing struts are straight out of Fast and Furious, not my cup of tea.
Or they come right off the 997 RSR...
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
MarekN
Racer

They are different, but good point.

My thinking was similar to what 911rox says, that on the street such a big exposed aluminum part and the whole wing being that tall, both these things combine to the effect of being fairly embarassing on the street in some cases. Of course in many other cases the feeling would be wonderful.

I guess that is just a personal feeling. Some people will go with a full Martini wrap, some people will take all the stickers off. Know what I mean?
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I ordered one as a companion to my 997.1 I hate the colors and graphics. Will try for paint to sample..riv blue,black wheels and trim, no contrasting front color,no graphics.
Tempted to try the 997.1 decals too........
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Max Power
Racer

Last time around, customers were able to get the decals in any color they wanted, or no stickers at all, right from the first cars ordered.
However, customers were only allowed one paint color option other than what Porsche rolled out, which was white for $4,315.

It'll be interesting to see if any cars come from the factory in other colors, and what sticker colors buyers ask for this time around.

I like the color schemes and decals from mk I. These decals on the fenders are ridiculous.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I don't like the lipstick and rear wing. At least the rear wing is form over looks I suppose. Great: white is avail, short ratio gear box and more HP!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Seems Porsche took the fender 'GT3RS' decals off of their Cup and RSR cars when they release official photos/media version of these cars.

Originally Posted by MarekN
They are different, but good point.

My thinking was similar to what 911rox says, that on the street such a big exposed aluminum part and the whole wing being that tall, both these things combine to the effect of being fairly embarassing on the street in some cases. Of course in many other cases the feeling would be wonderful.

I guess that is just a personal feeling. Some people will go with a full Martini wrap, some people will take all the stickers off. Know what I mean?
I fully understand it's all personal taste but I guess Porsche can afford to do this and people can afford to pay the extra costs to have it their way! As for the wing...well it can be cumbersome for street use/appearance but in the end this car is intended to be driven less on the road and more on a closed circuit race track. It's what the pure track guys wanted, no? Hell if i know i just own a lowly 987S ...but one can dream!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graphics are not my cup of tea either. Enough with the stickers already.

Quick Reply: MY10 GT3RS First Details