Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GTs and DEs - Be Careful Out There

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
zmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTs and DEs - Be Careful Out There

We had a PCA DE at Road Atlanta this weekend. Lots of fun as always, but two more GT cars found there ways into walls. One was a new, white GT2 that was overtaking a friend of mine coming out of T5. The GT2 was passing on the left and apparently put the throttle on too hard too early, spun the car and hit the entire passenger side of the car on the outside wall.

A silver 996 GT3 lost it coming down T12 and hit the inside wall on the front straight, which I've never seen a car to before.

Not being critical of these unfortunate two. They were OK physically and I hope they are back on the track soon without too much expense. Just pointing out that our favorite cars are a handful on the track and can bite back.

I was told while taking the PCA Instructor's course that 35% of all DE accidents are GT2s or 3s. That is a high percentage given that we don't represent nearly that percent of the participating cars.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmann
We had a PCA DE at Road Atlanta this weekend. Lots of fun as always, but two more GT cars found there ways into walls. One was a new, white GT2 that was overtaking a friend of mine coming out of T5. The GT2 was passing on the left and apparently put the throttle on too hard too early, spun the car and hit the entire passenger side of the car on the outside wall.

A silver 996 GT3 lost it coming down T12 and hit the inside wall on the front straight, which I've never seen a car to before.

Not being critical of these unfortunate two. They were OK physically and I hope they are back on the track soon without too much expense. Just pointing out that our favorite cars are a handful on the track and can bite back.

I was told while taking the PCA Instructor's course that 35% of all DE accidents are GT2s or 3s. That is a high percentage given that we don't represent nearly that percent of the participating cars.
I don't like walls at the track, but when forced to deal with them, I give them the utmost attention and respect!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 AM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

zmann Thanks for the post and the warning. The cars don't drive themselves and require a lot of driver attention to what is going on. Like 340Elise I give walls a lot of respect but also give the entire track a lot of respect. There is nothing worse than thinking that a fast car will just go fast all on its own.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Our Western tracks are better. No walls and plenty of runoff. Except for NASCAR Fontana and Leguna Seca that I can think of. Buttonwillow and Willow springs are wide open.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Sears point is pretty much wall to wall. Don't want to be part of the T10 club. Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Our Western tracks are better. No walls and plenty of runoff. Except for NASCAR Fontana and Leguna Seca that I can think of. Buttonwillow and Willow springs are wide open.

This is not 100% accurate.

I've seen a 997GT3 almost totaled at Streets of Willow just going of track at less than 50mph with wheels straight and still almost flipped (off track is very uneven and forgiving terrain).

I've seen video of a mini flipping 8 times by just dropping 2 wheels at Big Willow .

I have seen cars at Buttonwillow flip, because the sand is so soft and silty it just grabs (Perhaps why that track is called the "car killer").

Any car can be wrecked at any track!!!!! This is why when I drive my car at the track I only drive it at 60%.

Too little to gain and far too much to loose.

What most idiot at the track don't realize, that unless you are running in the RACE groups, you are not racing other cars just the watch. People get obsessed and fixated on passing the car in front of the and thats usually when stupid accidents happen!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Absolutely...nothing particularly 'safe' about the So Cal tracks. There have been DE deaths at big Willow, SOW, and CA Speedway in the last few years. And of course severely damaged cars.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
laguna has wall.
TH has one wall that's really bad
infineon... you go off, you WILL kiss wall. i went off at the carousel in my RS.... i closed my eyes and prayed..... everyone in the paddock who saw the spin prayed..... i was inches away from the wall...... whew. that's early 07.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by mobonic
This is not 100% accurate.

I've seen a 997GT3 almost totaled at Streets of Willow just going of track at less than 50mph with wheels straight and still almost flipped (off track is very uneven and forgiving terrain).

I've seen video of a mini flipping 8 times by just dropping 2 wheels at Big Willow .

I have seen cars at Buttonwillow flip, because the sand is so soft and silty it just grabs (Perhaps why that track is called the "car killer").

Any car can be wrecked at any track!!!!! This is why when I drive my car at the track I only drive it at 60%.

Too little to gain and far too much to loose.

What most idiot at the track don't realize, that unless you are running in the RACE groups, you are not racing other cars just the watch. People get obsessed and fixated on passing the car in front of the and thats usually when stupid accidents happen!
You drive at only 60% on the track? I think you are exaggerating just a bit (or that is a typo). The purpose of track driving, including DE's (or HPDE's), is to drive your vehicle at its higher performance levels in a safe and controlled environment (safe and controlled depends on who is hosting the event); levels which are not safe on public roads. Hopefully a driver who is new to tracking their car will start out at a very safe 60% (after learning the basics) and then work their way up slowly with experience.

I find that cars most often go off (during DE's, especially intermediate groups) when faster cars come up on them. Then all of the sudden they decide that no matter what they need to pick up the pace because they must not be driving fast enough. Happens all the time.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Here in Germany the Nuerburgring is wall to wall

The Grand Prix circuit of course is more forgiving or 'safer'.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zmann
I've seen 2 Corvettes do that at DE's at RA. Both came off T12 too hot & ran wide. Both then tried too hard to get right back on track & threw their cars into the inside wall. Both cars looked totaled, but their drivers seemed ok.

My first time driving my GT3 on track (2007) resulted in me buying 2 pieces of Armco at Barber, as well as some minor damage to the car. Got signed off for Solo & found the wall in the very next session. The ol' Red Mist strikes again! (with help from some on track fluid)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

walls help me stay focused. Most of the crashes seem to be due to a serious case of testosterone poisoning. As the guy that runs our local track states at the drivers meeting: " if you are here to race, your are at the right place but on the wrong day."
Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I find that cars most often go off (during DE's, especially intermediate groups) when faster cars come up on them. Then all of the sudden they decide that no matter what they need to pick up the pace because they must not be driving fast enough. Happens all the time.
+1

Happened twice at the track yesterday. I was behind a GT-R and he decided to try and stay ahead of me rather than let me pass....he went off at T7b (nothing to hit at our track at that turn). Later in the day a Ferrari 16M Scud came up behind a CGT and the CGT guy went off at the same turn. Most likely too busy watching his rear view mirror.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

http://pcahpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That is why I stay with safe and sane SCCA!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GTs and DEs - Be Careful Out There