Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lift System

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:30 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Default Lift System

Hi:

I am contemplating ordering a new GT3. I over optioned my last car and want to keep this car fairly low optioned. I wasn't interested in the lift system but I was getting my 997 aligned Thursday and could barely get into the shop.

I don't think I could have made it in the GT3 without the lift. I live in Los Angeles area but seldom drive the Porsche in the city.

What are the thoughts on this option do most people think it is a must have?

Sorry I know this has probably been discussed at length but didn't find it on search.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2009 | 10:59 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not a must have...but it will help you out at times.

The scraping sound never gets better
Old 08-15-2009 | 11:01 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Searched it again and did come up with some thoughts. It is a tough one for me as my driveway and garage have an easy approach and the price of the option is right in the range where I would like to skip it and save the money.

Not sure on resale later but I don't usually give that a lot of weight when ordering.
Old 08-15-2009 | 11:11 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Skip it
Save the money
Readjust your driving habits

You WILL scrape without it and most likely with it at times!

There are a couple of slower aftermarket alternatives that can be added after the fact...

Old 08-15-2009 | 11:23 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

I'm in the exact same boat, so I look forward to the replies here. For whatever it's worth, my dealer suggested that it would be pretty helpful if I were planning on loading/unloading the car off a trailer.
Old 08-15-2009 | 12:59 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

For a weekend car I would skip it. For a DD I would definitely get it. My car is a DD and I wish I had it, although I have learned to live without it. But I think the 997.2 is lower than my 996.

A new shopping mall just opened in my neighborhood. Before driving my car into the parking garage I did what I always do when faced with an unknown parking structure - I walked it first to make sure it's GT3-friendly. It would be nice to not have to worry about stuff like that.
Old 08-15-2009 | 01:11 PM
911dev
Drifting

Same boat, however, I passed. I feel that if you know you really need it due to your area, that's one thing, but, like someone else said, you'll just scrape less with it. Resale, I think it may return 30% of the initial cost. Yes, you can argue that it will entertain more buyers later, but that's always the case with any option. It certianly won't make it any harder to sell without it.
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:46 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

I researched a lot on this as the front end lift system was initially on my November GT3 order, but after re-thinking it; I pulled it from my order.

Details of the system:
1. It is not like the Cargraphic system. There is an air tank that fits between the front wheels where the C4 diff would go (remember all GT3s are are C4 chassis). It pumps air into a chamber at the bottom of the shocks to raise the front end.
2. It only lifts the front end 1.2" at the spoiler. This positions the spoiler the same height as a stock Carrera.
3. The system adds 25 lbs of weight to the front end.
4. The system costs $3490, while a replacement front lip is $200-250 (est. from MKI).

Conclusions:
1. Because it only raises the front spoiler to the same height as a stock Carrera, I will still occassionally scrape the front spoiler. So, I will end up replacing the front spoiler in the future.
2. I can buy as many as 17.5 front lips for the price of the front end lift system.

That was is for me and hence it came off the order list. If the system was cheaper, I would put it back on the list. Unfortuantely it does not make economic sense with the cost of a new front lip.

Updated per notes below. I got it straight off "Source" at the dealer that is is 1.2" (not mm, typo) at the tip of the spoiler, not at the wheels (axle). The system only raises 20mm at the axle. It does not lift the front end as high as the other aftermarket systems like Cargraphic.

Option is $3490 to be exact. That was the price on my factory build sheet (now removed as an option):
"474 Front Axle Lifting System 3,490.00"

I didn't check to see if the front lip for the .2 is higher than the .1. My assumption is they would be similar. I will have to look up my price. I get 10% over cost. Even at $270 a front lip, you can get at least 13 front lips for the price of 1 front end lift system.

Here is a pic of the system. Everything fits down the center of the car where there is no front differential or driveshaft/torque tube like there is on a C4/C4s/Turbo:

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-19-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2009 | 11:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
2. It only lifts the front end 1.2mm at the spoiler. This positions the spoiler the same height as a stock Carrera.

It lifts the front of the vehicle by 30mm, as the spoiler is directly fixed to the body, it also goes up by at least 30mm.

On the 997.1 cars, the approach angle on a GT3 was 5.6o whereas on a Carrera it was 11.8o. Thats a big difference... The benefit of the system isn't that you won't scape your front lip, its that you'll be able to go places where previously you would have lost your front end even if it means with some scraping.

Alternatively you'll be able to lower your car more for track whilst still being able to use it on the streets without as many grounding issues.

Disaapointingly expensive but certainly worthwhile if anyone is planning on frequent street use.... IMHO
Old 08-16-2009 | 11:40 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I researched a lot on this as the front end lift system was initially on my November GT3 order, but after re-thinking it; I pulled it from my order.

Details of the system:
1. It is not like the Cargraphic system. There is an air tank that fits between the front wheels where the C4 diff would go (remember all GT3s are are C4 chassis). It pumps air into a chamber at the bottom of the shocks to raise the front end.
2. It only lifts the front end 1.2mm at the spoiler. This positions the spoiler the same height as a stock Carrera.
3. The system adds 25 lbs of weight to the front end.
4. The system costs $3500, while a replacement front lip is $200-250.

Conclusions:
1. Because it only raises the front spoiler to the same height as a stock Carrera, I will still occassionally scrape the front spoiler. So, I will end up replacing the front spoiler in the future.
2. I can buy as many as 17.5 front lips for the price of the front end lift system.

That was is for me and hence it came off the order list. If the system was cheaper, I would put it back on the list. Unfortuantely it does not make economic sense with the cost of a new front lip.
I realize that (non RS) GT3's are a "narrow body", but I don't think the chassis is a C4, is it? (Although the C4 is more rigid). The cost of .2 lip is $270, although, I'm sure one can find them discounted.

Again, maybe I'm wrong but I thought the lift was $4k and weighed about 16 lbs.

I agree with your reasoning and am curious about the other data.
Old 08-16-2009 | 06:27 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by 911rox
The benefit of the system isn't that you won't scape your front lip, its that you'll be able to go places where previously you would have lost your front end even if it means with some scraping. ...certainly worthwhile if anyone is planning on frequent street use.... IMHO
Exactly. Hence my post above about parking garages.

BTW, I think 02 Carrera meant 1.2 inches, not 1.2 mm.
Old 08-16-2009 | 06:36 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by 911dev
I realize that (non RS) GT3's are a "narrow body", but I don't think the chassis is a C4, is it?
I know the 996 GT3 uses the C4 body (stiffer), so I'm guessing the 997 does also. And 997 RS uses the C4S / TT widebody (I assume).
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
I know the 996 GT3 uses the C4 body (stiffer), so I'm guessing the 997 does also. And 997 RS uses the C4S / TT widebody (I assume).
Yeah, I know the GT2, turbo, RS and any C4 configuration has a wide body, but was unsure about the regular GT3. Did hear that a C4 chassis was more rigid though.

Thanks anyway.
Old 08-18-2009 | 01:00 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Notes updated and pic added above

Quick Reply: Lift System