Shark Attack: 2010 997 GT3 SharkWerks Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009 | 05:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _rocket
And what does the option do?
It (gas guzzler tax) is the US version of the "Clubsport" package.... instead of lighter weight components, it lightens your wallet.
Old 08-09-2009 | 05:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
It (gas guzzler tax) is the US version of the "Clubsport" package.... instead of lighter weight components, it lightens your wallet.
LOL that's exactly the point I was trying to make but in my long-winded subtle English way that nobody ends up understanding Good thing I'm a US Citizen now then eh?
Old 08-10-2009 | 12:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Nice pick-up on the GT3. I trust you got a helluva deal.

I noticed the springs -- I read about these somewhere: lighter, more travel and less binding. Are they in the front too?

I'll likely be "nearby" tomorrow (Monday.)

Nice work on the exhaust. When you say "2nd gear pulls" in the video, 2nd's worth, what, 100 mph? 110? : )
Old 08-10-2009 | 01:00 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Nice pick-up on the GT3. I trust you got a helluva deal.

I noticed the springs -- I read about these somewhere: lighter, more travel and less binding. Are they in the front too?

I'll likely be "nearby" tomorrow (Monday.)

Nice work on the exhaust. When you say "2nd gear pulls" in the video, 2nd's worth, what, 100 mph? 110? : )
Yessir I was taken care of:P

The springs in front are the same but it's the rear ones that they decided to change to the shorter style.

Say hi if you do!

Oh on the 2nd gear I was honestly taking it pretty easy barely got to 6.5K and didn't stay in it either
Old 08-10-2009 | 12:53 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

SICKKKK Alex, thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 08-10-2009 | 02:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
SICKKKK Alex, thanks for sharing!!!!
Thanks Martin and when are you coming back to NA already?

We're in GT3-heaven that's for sure...

We had an interesting line-up this Saturday as another 997 GT3 came into work to install our exhaust, Cargraphic screens and the EVOMSit software on a 2007 997.1 GT3 but it was a good opportunity to have all three flavors of GT3 lined-up along side...

Old 08-10-2009 | 02:16 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

To be totally honest, i'm thinking soon, if I get a good buyer for my car I really think i'll let it go... It will be hard to do, but again I think I would do it!!!
Old 08-10-2009 | 04:13 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

OK Alex....this is what we all want to see !

Race between "flashed" mk1 and stock mk 2
We all know that you can shoot a great video ....lets see it !!!!!

WSH

Last edited by WSH; 08-10-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2009 | 05:05 PM
911dev
Drifting

I realize that you said this was Artic Silver, although it looks a bit like GT Silver, maybe it's just me. Can you confirm the color?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2009 | 09:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
To be totally honest, i'm thinking soon, if I get a good buyer for my car I really think i'll let it go... It will be hard to do, but again I think I would do it!!!
The GT2 is a special car so I can imagine it's not an easy decision
Originally Posted by WSH
OK Alex....this is what we all want to see !

Race between "flashed" mk1 and stock mk 2
We all know that you can shoot a great video ....lets see it !!!!!

WSH
LOL I know... to be honest it's not even a fair fight. The difference is pretty big:P
Originally Posted by 911dev
I realize that you said this was Artic Silver, although it looks a bit like GT Silver, maybe it's just me. Can you confirm the color?
Thanks.
Hey 911dev for sure it's not GT Silver.. the wheels are painted GT silver though. It's just the light.
Old 08-20-2009 | 08:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey folks just a few updates as we are now under way tuning with the Evomsit West Coast tuning guru. The baseline for this car is strong at 392rwhp. After a full day of tuning we have settled at a consistent 408rwhp I'll have more for you shortly!
Old 08-21-2009 | 08:02 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey folks just a few updates as we are now under way tuning with the Evomsit West Coast tuning guru. The baseline for this car is strong at 392rwhp. After a full day of tuning we have settled at a consistent 408rwhp I'll have more for you shortly!
That's serious horsepower even in the baseline state. What were the Mk. 1 baseline numbers?
Old 08-21-2009 | 12:29 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by got2go
That's serious horsepower even in the baseline state. What were the Mk. 1 baseline numbers?
No kidding these GT3s really do put down some power.... The stock Mk1 will do around 380-385 or so in factory form on the same dyno.
Old 08-21-2009 | 01:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

hey Chardonet my pleasure and to answer that questions here's what I "could" see Porsche doing... Realizing that "we" are all dummies and have been installing the 996GT3/TT seal in cars that get a LWF with none of them having a leak. Then they said we've all voided our warranties on the MK1 with afformentioned seal. I think if they're smart they'll take that info and hopefully equip all MK2 997GT3's with that same seal that has been proven to NOT leak very often and - problem solved for MK2's. Fast-forward a few months and I bet there will be a bulletin saying "Porsche has a NEW seal that fixes all the problems" for all MK1 cars and it'll be that very same 996GT3/TT one that supposedly voided the warranty for some folks with 997GT3 MK1 cars. Crazy theory maybe? All we know is that they're still using a dual mass flywheel and until our car leaks (if it does) we'll probably not remove the transmission to find out... Hope that makes sense? Or we could have the same crappy 997 style seal that leaks...

Paul from Canada figured out the brake thing and just by looking at them you can tell they're going to feed more cool air. Dan@SharkWerks.com has the part numbers since he's been ordering those over and over so let's check with him

Your assessment of the RMS nonsense seems reasonable to this little black duck. Porsche is embarrassing themselves with their denial, their repeated failed attempts to deliver a seal solution and now blaming the owner for low miles or the even more ridiculous suggestion that exhaust back-pressure is somehow causing crankcase pressure (or vacuum) enough to somehow damage the RMS. Preposterous. If low miles or low back-pressure exhausts were to blame, we'd have 996 GT3's leaking by the hundreds. If the 997 is somehow more susceptible, why do high mile cars with stock exhausts also leak? Anyway, it's a well worn topic. Given the 996 Turbo part is a factory part for the same engine and crank, I fail to see how Porsche can deny it as applicable or that it would void anything short of wear on that seal surface of the crank (if the seal was too hard or improperly installed.)
Old 08-21-2009 | 01:47 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

After dinner was served up she goes...

Before we took her apart we did notice a few new "cool" additions. Here are those rear brake cooling ducts that Paul from Canada discovered

One thing that we also noticed was that for the the 2010 GT3's and the "pseudo" light weight flywheel (still dual mass) they utilized the 997GT3RS pulley. Guess it does work after all eh?

Just to compare here's the original 997GT3 pulley (which came off and sheered the pin):

Then in the rear you can see the different style "springs". Using a larger diameter coil with less windings that's capable of supporting the same load (rate) reduces unsprung mass. In other words the spring is lighter but does the same job as before on the Mk1:P:

OK so on to the stock exhaust and bumper...

Off come the bumper:

The bumper comes off in the same fashion (we'll update the instructions on our kit a little):

The center section is very similar to the Mk1:

Off she comes:

Check out the new style ceramic cats:

On goes ze Sharkwerks exhaust by James the Canadian:

Look no cosmoline!

On go the heat shields:

And off to bed... See you local guys tomorrow at Santana Row
Hey your tearing apart a perfectly good Porsche?? WTF.... I'm going to keep my eye on this it should be fun!

Quick Reply: Shark Attack: 2010 997 GT3 SharkWerks Project Car