Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'10 911 Turbo coming w/ PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!!! Did you guys see that with all the bells and whistles it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds! Holy .... Batman!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another one, did anyone notice that center lock wheels are also an option? They are nice wheels. Too bad they aren't optional on a GT3.

Remember that there is still going to be a big cost differential between the GT3 and the Turbo. I would expect the base price to grow to around $140K as the current is at $130K. Figure $3-4K for sports chrono (a must on a turbo to get overboost) and dynamic engine mounts. PDK should set it back another $4K. They show traditional paddle shifters will be available with the PDK, but don't indicatate if they will be standard or a separate option. Finally, those fantastic looking center lock wheels should set you back $4-5K. So, best guess is a reasonably loaded Turbo will be close to $160K...quite a bit more than a GT3.

Also, only a 20 hp increase and no torque increase over the current version? They should have gotten more than that out of the displacement increase alone (3.6 > 3.8). That alone should have given a 5% bump in power. Compression also gets a big bump from 9.0 to 9.8. That should give an additional 8% increase in power. The Turbochargers are a carryover and yet with the bump in compression and displacement the torque curve is basically unchanged. This plus direct injection and the freer flowing intake from the GT2 should have bumped the power to 575+ hp...if the new engine breaths as well as the old. This is where I suspect the first issue will be found and also why Porsche did not use the new generation engine for the GT3. It will probably be another year or 2 before they can come up with a DI head that can breath enough for a GT3.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ if so, you should be driving a boxster or a cayman!
touche!!! so right!!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Here's another one, did anyone notice that center lock wheels are also an option? They are nice wheels. Too bad they aren't optional on a GT3.

Remember that there is still going to be a big cost differential between the GT3 and the Turbo. I would expect the base price to grow to around $140K as the current is at $130K. Figure $3-4K for sports chrono (a must on a turbo to get overboost) and dynamic engine mounts. PDK should set it back another $4K. They show traditional paddle shifters will be available with the PDK, but don't indicatate if they will be standard or a separate option. Finally, those fantastic looking center lock wheels should set you back $4-5K. So, best guess is a reasonably loaded Turbo will be close to $160K...quite a bit more than a GT3.

Also, only a 20 hp increase and no torque increase over the current version? They should have gotten more than that out of the displacement increase alone (3.6 > 3.8). That alone should have given a 5% bump in power. Compression also gets a big bump from 9.0 to 9.8. That should give an additional 8% increase in power. The Turbochargers are a carryover and yet with the bump in compression and displacement the torque curve is basically unchanged. This plus direct injection and the freer flowing intake from the GT2 should have bumped the power to 575+ hp...if the new engine breaths as well as the old. This is where I suspect the first issue will be found and also why Porsche did not use the new generation engine for the GT3. It will probably be another year or 2 before they can come up with a DI head that can breath enough for a GT3.
Base is $132,800. Torque has risen to 480 without overboost and 516 with, compared to 460 and 505, respectively.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The gt3 will lose it's gt1 block in my2011, only bc racing teams are already setup with the gt1 for the 2010 campaign. It's a done deal guys, the gt1 is gone. sad.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
^ if so, you should be driving a boxster or a cayman!
Not stock for stock. They have a better setup with the mid-engine, but they do not have the suspension (and not quite the brakes) as does the GT3. You would have to put some money into them to get them to where they would really shine.

I have let several Boxster/S and Cayman/S owners (many instructors) drive my 997 GT3, and they cannot believe what it is capable of in the turns, but they also like the straight line speed and exhaust note quite a bit also.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
OMG!!! Did you guys see that with all the bells and whistles it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds! Holy .... Batman!
Big Woop! You made the right choice; the GT3 is still the drivers car. If I want to go to 60 in 3.2 seconds, then I will pick up one of the new crazy liter bikes for under $10K used, and bring my 0-60 times down to below 3 seconds.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

^ my cay s box s comment is comparing against 996/997 non gt cars b/c gtx cars have coil overs. you put some coil over and lsd on the midengine, they WILL outhandle gt3. if you look at a segment of track, from entry speed (not proceeded by a long straight), mid corner and exit speed, it will be equal to if not faster than gt3.

i spoke with several ALMS as well as factory drivers, given the choice, they rather race cay s if porsche would provide support.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The gt3 will lose it's gt1 block in my2011, only bc racing teams are already setup with the gt1 for the 2010 campaign. It's a done deal guys, the gt1 is gone. sad.
I am not saying that you are wrong as you appear to know far more than me on the topic, but... do you really think that the GT1 block will be gone from the gt3 next year? Only a one year run, then swap to the new engine and again a couple of years later with the 991?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Big Woop! You made the right choice; the GT3 is still the drivers car. If I want to go to 60 in 3.2 seconds, then I will pick up one of the new crazy liter bikes for under $10K used, and bring my 0-60 times down to below 3 seconds.
Hey, totally agree about the GT3 being the right car to go with! It is nice to see that Porsche continues to push the envelope, as they should!

My GT3 will be more car than I can handle for many years. I fully understand that I have much to learn about getting the most out of my car, no doubt. The cool part is at the level of most of us here it is not the car that makes the difference, but your driving skills and ultimately you can only buy so much performance. Well, I guess you can buy performance, but it takes talent to finish the job.

Heading to Watkins Glen this weekend and then down to Summit Point next week. Sure wish I had the new 3, but the Boxster will do for now!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

From history, I would not expect the current GT3 to run more than 1.5 years. The 05' was out of production by the end of December 04'. The same was try for the 08' GT3 in 07. Considering how low the number the allocations are for this year and that there are no allocations for late model year production, this may be a 1-year only run. I also read that there is supposed to be a next Gen GT3 in 2012.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 AM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

If they test the 911 Turbo with pdk at a real drag strip it may go faster 3.0 to 3.1 since there is a 1foot roll out which may not be figured into the numbers.It will be intersting to see also if the GT3 will come with pdk in the future.The GT3 will be a better track car but if you're on the street or drags I'd rather have the Turbo.Depends on what you're using the car for.Maybe it don't sound like alot 3.2 seconds but compared to a GT3 doing 3.9 is alot.....When racing the 1/8 or 1/4 mile at the times these cars run 1/10 (.1) is almost equal to 1 car length.A 11.2 to 11.4 second 1/4 mile car which the turbo may end up running compared to 12 flat quarter might be 8 car lengths or so which in drag racing is getting beat bad.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
From history, I would not expect the current GT3 to run more than 1.5 years. The 05' was out of production by the end of December 04'. The same was try for the 08' GT3 in 07. Considering how low the number the allocations are for this year and that there are no allocations for late model year production, this may be a 1-year only run. I also read that there is supposed to be a next Gen GT3 in 2012.
Yeah, I agree that the GT3 will likely arrive in 2012 but probably as a MY2013. GT3's and turbo's typically come the year after the new model, in this case the 991. I don't see the 991 coming until the fall of 2011 as a MY2012.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I'm sure that the next GT3 will lose the GT1 block. However, technology evolves and I'm sure Porsche has done their homework. Although, not a traditional dry sump, it is an integrated dry sump. It shouldn't matter where the dry sump is located, right? Time will prove it's reliability. I am confident.
I am totally speculating here but in terms of evolution, the cup and RSR race cars have always "led" the street car w.r.t engine remember the 996 RS, and
the 3.8 in the .2 ... the race cars had these engines (or at least a variant
thereof) prior to the street car.

Therefore I think it would be reasonable to expect that a street GT3 will *not*
forsake the current GT1 based block until such time as either/or the Cup or
RSR cars campaign a new engine ... either that or Porsche will depart from
course of having the GT3 be a homologation for the race cars ...

in short ... watch the race cars, predict the future ...

Also go read the interview with the head of GT dev @ Porsche regarding the
intro of the new .2 ... he had something to say about the 997 DI engine and
PDK w.r.t the GT3 ...

I am not "totally" convinced that the Twin Turbo predicts (immediately) the
path the GT3 will take, it's more probable that the GT2 will use such but
who knows ...
Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Also consider that Porsche just introduced a new 4.0L version of the GT1 engine in the new GT3 RSR. Since the the 10' model's 3.8l gets larger bore pistons and bores from last year's race cars, it could be a possibility that this could end up in the next generation of GT3s. On the other side, if Porsche develops a higher breathing head for the new engines and could easily make a 4.0L variant using the new 3.8l bore and 3.6l stroke this could bring some interest too. Regardless of what way they go, I am sure it will be impressive.

Quick Reply: '10 911 Turbo coming w/ PDK