Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weight Savings -- How Far Is Far

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Weight Savings -- How Far Is Far

Though, with with proper engineering and a small fortune of equipment, it is not difficult to build first class carbon fiber hoods, roofs, doors, fenders, engine compartment lids, wings, splitters, spoilers or a myriad of titanium components up to and including speed clips to save weight etc., even complicated components such as carbon fiber front and rear suspensions, carbon fiber transmission casings, exhaust systems, cast titanium or metal maxtrix composite uprights, carbon fiber/titanium struts, etc., etc., attached are pictures of an existing oil line console and the re-engineered version saving approximately 500 grams. As I have said in other posts, none of this is necessary for the street or the amateur race driver (indeed, it would not make much, if any, difference for many classed as "professional drivers") , but, for some, it might be fun.
Attached Images    
Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

titanium/carbon uprights, carbon damper bodies, full carbon brake rotors and titanium calipers, magnesium wheels and center locks, carbon/titanium tie rods, remote canisters away from unsprung weight (the closest to a push rod suspension we get with a conventional car).

I would like to see parts develop to reduce unsprung weight. It is staggering to realize that most cars carry 100 lbs or more of unsprung weigth "per corner".
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jewelery as usual. One day, when money is no object :-)
Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM
GT2Driver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Robert,

I fully agree with you that with a large sum of money we could achieve very interesting things! It must be enough Porsche owners around that would be interested in getting rid of as Rad says "unsprung weight". Hopefully we ought to able to organize that.

rgds Lars
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what happens when you have a brilliant engineer with too much time on his hands!LOL!
It would take about 20 guys for you all to have the pieces made within a reasonable cost.
With the serious track guys here that should be pretty easy to get 20 guys to put in for an unsprung weight
exercise in engineering from Robert.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
This is what happens when you have a brilliant engineer with too much time on his hands!LOL!
It would take about 20 guys for you all to have the pieces made within a reasonable cost.
With the serious track guys here that should be pretty easy to get 20 guys to put in for an unsprung weight
exercise in engineering from Robert.
Yeah, there's a lot of us here looking for silly ways to get rid of exes cash. Maybe $5-$10k per lb., per wheel? Let's do this!

Phil
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Not that I expect anyone to do this, but the cost per pound should be less than $1000. Notwithstanding, and with all respect to all, very few people have ever seen truly first class carbon fiber (I have never seen any produced in America) or metal components and, as my mother would have said, eyes are often bigger than stomach.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

to save money i decided to wrap myself in garbage bags and run the treadmill for 40 minutes the day before each race......
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Not that I expect anyone to do this, but the cost per pound should be less than $1000. Notwithstanding, and with all respect to all, very few people have ever seen truly first class carbon fiber (I have never seen any produced in America) or metal components and, as my mother would have said, eyes are often bigger than stomach.
Robert, how do your carbon pieces compare to those of Le Mans and F1 cars? Having been around those plenty there is great appreciation for all things carbon in a automotive platfrom.

By the way, i went to sleep last night thinking what carbon and ti tid-bits would do to my 987S.... I can only dream!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:31 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt anyone notices 500 grams, regardless of skill; but when you add up all the little weight savings done 100 times throughout the entire car is when you notice it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert, are you doing a complete car, like your Alpina?

Ian (AKA Norcal)
Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Will only do anything if there are at least 20 people who want to participate, each at approximately $50,000. This $1 million would enable elegant design, proper tooling and superior components -- and something that would make a difference to performance, not just optics.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 AM
MarekN
Racer

Sounds like the formation of a new company in making.
Can you please clarify what sort of difference in the quality of CF parts are you referring to? You say that in all of America nothing of superior quality can be found. What about your whole aerospace program? Or your new Formula 1 team? And there must be lots of other places.

Quick Reply: Weight Savings -- How Far Is Far