GT3 Lease or Finance???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,504 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Keep in mind that using post-crash money to buy right now may mean you miss some of the market rebound (if you believe were recoving) over the next 3 years ... can make putting that money into a depreciating asset very expensive

Leasing versus buying is a toss-up really, all depending on individual circumstances - i.e. business write-off, risk aversion to market conditions, incentives etc. If you believe you can invest your money and achieve a greater return than the money factor, then hold on to your money. Really depends on each deal.

The put option is nice, but it's not free - you pay for it in lease inception fees, although its cheaper for the lease companies to purchase residual insurance in bulk

I got a 5% lease on my 07 and chose not to use cash - better left in the market. Looking back, I'd have been better off buying outright!!

There is no right single answer to this question - don't let anyone brow beat you away from leasing, it's fine if you're gonna purchase frequently and the deal makes sense financially!

US bank and others have pre-purchase penalties, so watch out on that front
US bank used to be very aggro, but post crash, they are not as good. in fact, i am not sure they still have high dollar leases for porsches.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you do it yet Mooty? Do you need to come first?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sharkster
Did you do it yet Mooty? Do you need to come first?
do what?

gary is looking to get me .001 money factor for me.
then i will lease that CGT.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Giants84
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious how much is the lease on the GT3 generally?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been in the market for a gt3 this last weekend I was stunned at the fact that residuals have fallen through the basement and are now super expensive
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Having been in the market for a gt3 this last weekend I was stunned at the fact that residuals have fallen through the basement and are now super expensive
You're absolutely right. Of the handful of serious enquires I have on selling my '07 GT3, the appeal is to people wanting to assume the lease.

The lease companies are working on "blind" actuarial data with "written down" transactions (taken from perhaps less than 1% of the market, since transactions are infrequent) so the leases are looking at purchase around US$75K ... if you're looking at a nice example (probably more like $85-90K) then a lease would be borderline usury.

Porsche has reduced residuals this month (August compared to July) so, along with higher rates, leases will become relatively more expensive. If you're buying a new 911, it seems that now is the time. If you wait into the last three months of the year, either the economy will have improved and you're out of luck with leases and purchase prices, or the market will have tanked and you're less likely to want to buy that car anyway. We're heading into a no-win for customers and that spells a no-win for Porsche. Batten the hatches!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

CGT is right. part of the reason used car now cost more to lease is not just the residual. the banks are scared from all the car lease losses they took, they r jacking up rates right now. in fact, porsche financing is the most aggressive right now.

but that is in itself a prob for future porsches. beside GTx cars, you can lease any 09 cars at very very low money factor with some serious msrp reduction. while that's nice and dandy for new car buyers today, when you try to sell that car 3 years or sooner down the road, you will see that your up front price reduction will catch up with you due to the super low sales price then.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
CGT is right. part of the reason used car now cost more to lease is not just the residual. the banks are scared from all the car lease losses they took, they r jacking up rates right now. in fact, porsche financing is the most aggressive right now.

but that is in itself a prob for future porsches. beside GTx cars, you can lease any 09 cars at very very low money factor with some serious msrp reduction. while that's nice and dandy for new car buyers today, when you try to sell that car 3 years or sooner down the road, you will see that your up front price reduction will catch up with you due to the super low sales price then.
Hi Moot. Can you elaborate on "while that's nice and dandy for new car buyers today, when you try to sell that car 3 years or sooner down the road, you will see that your up front price reduction will catch up with you due to the super low sales price then." It seems to me the new car buyers who will pay for the "clearance sale" pricing on '09 cars will be the buyers paying "fair" prices prior to the discounting. I'm looking at a hefty discount and part of the "self-fulfilling" nature of the discount is looking ahead two or three moves to consider likely resale. I mean, it's a sort of chicken and egg problem -- I wouldn't expect such a high discount if I didn't see low resale down the line and I wouldn't see low resale if I wasn't seeing aggressive discounting ... : )
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Remember the 90s, currently the Dealers have an inventory problem. That will not be continued as Porsche will be required to cut production to balance the equation, and put a "ceiling" on the supply for the time being, causing a dearth in the used car market down the road.

While not an investment ever, it bodes well for future reasonable resale (especially considering heavily discounted purchase prices (it is always about the delta)). Heavens above, look at how the price of used Porsches has risen in the past few months (go figure), the Dealers are having to pay up to get the good ones. I for one just don't understand why, but it is a fact.

And don't forget all that inflation (to come?) from the, as yet, unspent "stimulus" package is going to be your friend (re value on your older Porsche), while the rest of your $$$ become worthless.

It is amazing how "fickle" the world is. People carped about the last GT3 not being a real car because it had a sunroof; and now the current one has no sunroof and nobody is buying it.

As a specialty car, right now, the 997.1 GT3 has to be the bargain of the century.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
As a specialty car, right now, the 997.1 GT3 has to be the bargain of the century.
half price
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red89
half price
^
Is that popcorn, or your daily meds?

Is this a case of wishful thinking on your part, a comment or an opinion? Or first hand knowledge of transactions?. Or could it be humor?

Either way, when you clarify, I am sure it will be helpful, as a data point to those in the market.

My data point is that "Dealer" wholesale prices are currently significantly above the 50% level. I certainly hope you didn't sell yours too cheaply.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
red89
Racer

in real dollars
for an 07 GT3:

$140k in
$70k trade in on '10 GT3

that's 50%

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Hi Moot. Can you elaborate on "while that's nice and dandy for new car buyers today, when you try to sell that car 3 years or sooner down the road, you will see that your up front price reduction will catch up with you due to the super low sales price then." It seems to me the new car buyers who will pay for the "clearance sale" pricing on '09 cars will be the buyers paying "fair" prices prior to the discounting. I'm looking at a hefty discount and part of the "self-fulfilling" nature of the discount is looking ahead two or three moves to consider likely resale. I mean, it's a sort of chicken and egg problem -- I wouldn't expect such a high discount if I didn't see low resale down the line and I wouldn't see low resale if I wasn't seeing aggressive discounting ... : )
lately every other month porsche has a "program", "low rate", "trunk money" blah blah. i can and did buy a GTS at substantial discount vs msrp. you would think i "saved". however, when you are ready to sell the GTS, i cannot work from msrp, but what the current "program" porsche has. in my case, the discount really wasn't a discount but merely a number from which i start to lower my selling price.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by red89
in real dollars
for an 07 GT3:

$140k in
$70k trade in on '10 GT3

that's 50%

too complicated.
if i want a car i only have ONE question. can i afford it or not.
if the answer is yes, i buy it, price and dep'n doesn't really matter. i buy what i can afford and like. with each GT3 i lose about $40k, but with each GT3, i enjoyed 20k miles of bliss.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"As a specialty car, right now, the 997.1 GT3 has to be the bargain of the century."

Agreed.

.2 is not even close to that level of a bargain

Quick Reply: GT3 Lease or Finance???